1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Mar 12, 2007.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, it's March Madness time in the states and the brackets came out today. Even though my UCLA Bruins are a #2 seed, I have doubts about how well they will play. They have been flat and have a problem defending the interior and shooting free throws.

Right now, I think the hottest teams are Kansas and Oregon (I cannot believe that Ohio State is as good as its ranking), with Florida also beginning to peak at the right time. I think North Carolina is certainly beatable.

My productivity at work is about to take a serious nosedive.

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

dmc, I sort of agree, except I watched Tennessee trash Florida a couple of weeks ago, so I believe they're more vulnerable than a lot of people think.

My team, poor old Duke, has had an abysmal year. Bound to happen some years - you graduate your best players and just don't have the replacements ready. At least they got in. I can't say they deserved anything higher than the 6th seed they got, either. On the other hand, the Duke WOMEN may take it all this year. Even if they did lose that one game in the tournament, they are surely in the mood to win now.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I wish their were more members who are basketball fans...

It should be interesting to see how UCLA does, in order to reach the Elite 8 it may have to play against two of the nations best big men, DJ White and Aaron Gray. If Gonzaga beats Indiana it would help the Bruins a lot as GU is a donut team; I don't see a team that I like to beat Pittsburgh though. The (probable) Kansas game would be a great game to watch, on my bracket I picked UCLA, but it is a coin toss.

I'm worried about my (near) hometown Washington State team. Well not really worried as I don't think Oral Roberts or Vanderbilt will defeat them (despite many 'experts' thoughts), but I'm almost certain they'd have to play Georgetown and I can't see WSU winning. It could be close though as long as WSU limits the three-point attempts it takes and wakes up on the key to thier game... defence.

Odd thoughts:

Oregon is indeed hot... if their shots keep falling, watch out

Florida is really good... yep they still are

Duke is overated... as is the rest of the ACC

I hope... Drew Neitzel has one of his monster games

Acie Law IV... is the best crunch time player

Drexel got hosed... really, did Illinois deserve to be in

12 vs. 5... I had a hard time finding this years upset

I really want to see... a 16 seed finally pull one off

[ March 13, 2007, 04:34: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'm worried about my UNC as there's a good chance they'll end up facing Texas and Kevin Durant. Hansbourgh and Wright are good big men, but Durant is in a league of his own (or at least a league that Greg Oden is the only other in).

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Revmaf - Duke bowed out appropriately, as this was really not their year. Bruins looked good, but I am still worried.

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ilmater,

Texas is dead...they just don't know it yet, but their legs will soon let them know. On top of that they can be beat...Baylor and Ok State gave them all they could handle in the Big 12 tourney, and yes they got themselves up for KU, but they are dead on their feet. They will make it to the sweet 16 at best, and then in the classic Texas tradition they will do so little with so much talent and get blown off the court.

The Big 12 is really weak this year...yes Kansas beat Florida early, but they got punked by Oral Roberts early in the season, A&M got them at Fogg, and several poor teams gave them all they could handle. OU just sucks this year, rebuilding with a new coach. Oklahoma State started out hot, but didn't have enough real players to make it through the season. A&M had chance to really do something special, but they fell short and they appear to still be on the road to a return to prominence. Tech has a psycho for a coach, and it shows in their teams freaky performance (you never know what you are going to get when you face a Knight team). Other than the already mentioned Kansas there are no teams in the Big 12 North that are worth discussing unless we switch the topic to baseball or wrestling.

Prediction: There will be no Big 12 teams in the Awesome 8 unless A&M goes on a tear.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I really think that Texas A&M's schedule is really favourable toward them getting to the 'awesome eight,' as Memphis is very beatable.

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

SC did Texas. As an Alum from a Big 12 school I hate it when I am right about my conference's schools getting beat. :cry:

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Man, I should start paying more attention to college basketball. From what I have seen and heard, the tempo is much different from that of the NBA. I usually only watch Lakers games.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The term is Elite Eight.

UNLV and SIU both look good and could provide some excitement.

11. dmc

Media:
    All that nonsense about how great the ACC and Big 10 were this year is pretty well flushed. Pac 10 has 3 schools in the Sweet Sixteen (UCLA, USC, Oregon), ACC has 1 (North Carolina), Big 10 has 1 (Ohio State). The SEC and Big East are better.

12. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Sorry, I hate the term "Elite 8", so I refuse to use it...just a personal thing. I am part of a big group of people who do an invite only pool, and there is a message board set up for it and a few of us like to frustrate some of the more anal retentive participants and call it the "awesome 8" and then watch them get all worked up about it. Sorry I carrier it over here. :o

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I realized it too, I just liked the sound of DarkWolf's 'Awesome Eight.'

And oh-so-close to four PAC-10 with the next best represented conference only having two... DAMMIT WAZZU

14. dmc

Media:
    Washington State just didn't take care of business. Considering that they were predicted to bottom out the Pac-10 this year and with a new coach, I think they did fine. They just have to keep the momentum next year. USC trouncing Texas was a pleasant surprise, although I don't know if they have what it takes to beat Carolina. (I was at the USC/Carolina game last year in the Sports Arena when they won, but these are different teams.)

15. revmaf

Yeah, Duke men out in the first round and the Duke women out today! Ugh. Tennessee got surprisingly further than I expected and their loss was a heartbreaker. UNC shouldn't still be alive but they are.

You can never, ever tell with college basketball.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Watching Tajuan Porter all year has been a treat... I really hope that he keeps it up versus Florida (despite busting my bracket even more). They'll need all they can get outside because there won't be anything for them on the inside.

17. dmc

Media:
    Despite my pessimism, the Bruins have made it to the Final Four again.

Go Ducks!

18. revmaf

Well, we have the Final Four.

Georgetown just pounded UNC in an astonishing overtime when UNC couldn't drop a basket till the last few seconds.

All my sentimental favorites are out, but wow! Really exciting, down to the last second games all weekend.

19. dmc

Media:
    Gah. I don't want Ohio State to win and I don't want Florida to win, and they are both still in it!

20. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well since I don't have a team to root for after my UNC went ice cold, I'll be rooting for Greg Oden.

I still don't understand why Terry jacked up a three when all UNC needed was 1 point to win. They should have fed the ball to "Psycho T" in the post, they'd probably have won, he was just feeding off the free throw line all night.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.