1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elven sorceress, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Elven sorceress Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So, I recently finished Baldur's Gate II and Throne of Bhaal and I'm in the mood for another D&D adventure. From the Bioware/Black Isle games I've played Baldur's Gate and its expansion, Baldur's Gate II and Throne of Bhaal, and Icewind Dale and all its expansion (Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster). I've never played pen and paper D&D but through these games, I completely understand the mechanics of the 2nd Edition ruleset and through the Internet I'm fairly familiar with Forgotten Realms lore. I think I play fairly well (although I'm still somewhat of a novice). So I'm wondering which game would be a better introduction to the 3rd Edition ruleset: Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale II, or Temple of the Elemental Evil. There's also the option of playing Planescape Torment. I know that Temple of the Elemental Evil is based on the Greyhawk and I really don't know anything about it. Do you have to have extensive knowledge of the lore to really enjoy the game?

As for Neverwinter Nights, I'm not used to playing a single character. Does that make it harder to adapt to the gameplay?

Icewind Dale II would be a natural choice since I've already played the first one, but I've heard it's very punishing. I would like to play a powergaming party such as the JUPP, but I guess you really have to understand third edition rules to use it effectively.

So if anyone has any input regarding this, it would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Co8 will have a fancy new modpack for ToEE by the end of December. I'd wait for that if you're considering ToEE. :)

ToEE's not lore-intensive, but it can be very punishing. Did you die a lot in the BGs?

From what I understand, NWN is kind of 3rd Edition lite. ToEE is 3rd Edition hardcore-by the book-bash you over the head, but its in-game help system is very comprehensive.

3. Elven sorceress Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh, thanks for the info! In the Baldur's Gate games I didn't die a lot. There were some specific battles in which I had to reload a few times, but other than that, I didn't find them extremely punishing, although they posed reasonable challenge. I've been wondering if Icewind Dale II would be a good choice. Sort of like a middle term between extremely punishing and the lite version of third edition.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    It may be. I never played it but from what I understand it's closer to the BGs than anything (being an Infinity Engine game).

If you're into story, be aware that ToEE has about 1/10 the story of BG, but if you like very robust turn-based combat, it's the game for you. I've heard that IWD2 is more combat-oriented and less story-oriented than the BGs, but it's still 'phase-based.' ToEE is turn-based hardcore all the way on a totally different engine (made by Troika) and can be a little daunting initially if you're not familiar with all the rules minutiae.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You are a bit late to the party but that is really just a good thing. You actually have quite a few good games to catch up. NWN is ok, IWD2 was fun but absolutely no story just hack n' slash. If you feel adventurous and is willing to go outside the DnD box I would recommend KotOR as it was probably my best story driven RPG after BG2. I also recommend the Elder Scroll games, Morrowind, Oblivion and now latest Skyrim. Not really story driven but more sand box fantasy games and seeing as you mentioned powergaming Morrowind and Oblivion are a power gamers dream. You only control your own character but you can customize and power game it more than the IE games.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think NWN is a good place to learn 3rd Ed. In learning a new system I find controlling one character is easier than controlling six. There are also a lot of fan made modules for NWN (entire modules, not related at all to the campaigns included with NWN).

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'd say play IWD2, it's the best of those games, especially if you like the infinity engine. Heavily multiclassed powergaming parties focused on high levels you'll never reach are not the best way to play the game, you'll have a better and easier time if you keep your main casters pure class.

NWN is mainly a demo mission for a mission creation toolbox and it shows, it looks and plays really ugly compared to the games using the infinity engine, I couldn't stand playing it for long.

ToEE also plays differently and features complex turn based combat.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Of the NWN games, only HotU is really good. The NWN OC is BioWare learning how to use their own toolset, SoU is another developer learning how to use it (though it's better than the OC), but HotU is BioWare getting it right - not a generic tech demo any more, but really quite immersive.

You'll have it the easiest if you go with IWD2 first since the engine will be familiar. There are only a few really important changes rules-wise that you need to figure out to play the games well anyway - it's not like any of the IE/NWN games require extensive knowledge of the rules to be able to play them. There's a 3e guide on SP (IWD2 walkthroughs subsection bottom) and the manual helps too.

9. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't say IWD2 had no story (the storyline was pretty intense, actually) but NPC interaction was virtually zero. So although you have the foundation for a good story almost no effort is made towards reinforcing character immersion (and this was done intentionally).
    There's some nice voice-acting/item backstory text though. IWD2 rules is a cross between 2nd edition and 3rd edition - this is a good and bad thing. The good thing is that it'll remind you of BG2 a lot (and reinforces the connection between the two games and the fact that they occur in the same world). The bad thing is that it'll make you hate NWN more.

NWN represents 3rd edition and is a "more or less decent" game. The game is in 3D, very old 3D (even for it's time, considering the Final Fantasies). For the sake of comparison, BG2 was epic, and BG1 and the IWD series were "great". The NWN expansions were indeed good though. NWN's main selling point are its persistent worlds, fan-made online worlds which remain operational even today.

Planescape Torment is great if you love story-driven games. If the IWD series were the epitome of Infinity Engine hack'n'slash then Planescape would be on the opposite end of the spectrum, with the BG series right between them.

While the original NWN2 was depressing (all potential, horrible execution - similar to Bioware's Lionheart) NWN2 with the expansions comes closest to BG2's gameplay, despite the two games using very different rulesets. MotB, in particular, is a must for any D&D lover. NWN and NWN2 have wildly different stories, so it's safe to play the sequel without having played through original. The only difference will be that if you've played NWN then you'll have very different (perhaps stronger) reactions towards certain NPC's. Like one particular lord of a certain northern city.

ToEE is similar to IWD except it's turn-based and strictly uses radial menus (a hit or miss feature, you either like it or hate it with a passion) instead of skill bars. There IS some story, though it's poorly enforced. IMO the game feels like the first part of BG1 (where you basically just wander around aimlessly) except it does a much better job of reinforcing mood and setting. It boasts a very powerful character creation/building feature though, which is (more or less) the point of the game - it's about creating your own adventure and fighting lots of monsters along the way.
    While ToEE also boasted great animation for its time, it was full of game-killing bugs. For the game to be playable you -need- to install the Co8 mods previously mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.