1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help finding similar game...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by DivineDiviner, Nov 20, 2002.

1. DivineDiviner Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let me state what I do and don't like and perhaps you can help me find a game.

I loved Baldur's Gate 2 and am playing it right now. Am planning on getting the Throne of Bhaal expansion and playing through that.

I did not like Neverwinter Nights. I thought it was semi-ugly, took a ton of system resources, and *hated* how you could not control your party members who were constantly running ahead and dying. I also didn't like how much I got stuck in the game trying to find where I should be next. I uninstalled after 8 hours of play.

Summing up: loved the creepy atmosphere of BG2, loved the dialogue and "chatter" of BG2, loved the relative linear gameplay of BG2 (hate getting stuck), and **especially** love pause-and-order.

I am appalled that the new Lionheart game coming out by Black Isle has totally excluded pause-and-order or any type of pausing. I would never buy a game without that feature.

Suggestions for my next game?

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Perhaps this is too obvious, but you didn't mention other games you have played, so:

Planescape Torment
    Baldurs Gate
    Icewind Dale (1 and 2)

I haven't played IWD2 yet, but it got rave reviews here and in the media.

3. DivineDiviner Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am considering IWD2. I heard IWD1 was a little too combatty (new word).

I'm not going to try BG1 and Planescape: Torment,,, because of the resolution. I don't think I could bear to look at it. ;)

So, I am considering IWD2,,, are there any games outside of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series you would consider recommending?

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I really liked Divine Divinity. There's a thread you can check out:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000416

You control one character only, and it is pretty open ended (you can do the quests in any order), but there is tons of quests, a huge game area, and it's pretty original as far as story, dialouge, etc. You can pause the game at any time, issue orders, then unpause.

In addition to this and the ones Jack mentioned, there's
    Nox
    Fallout 1 and 2
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2 (Just like BG but more combat, less quests)

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] PS:T - it doesn't have bad graphics, IMO, It had graphics like BG2 - unless it's just my configurations that display it like that.

BG1 - give it a go - you soon get past the facts the graphics aren't brilliant

I know a few games, but they aren't RPGs as such and probably not what you are looking for.

Gruntz - a comic games where you play these creatures and compete senarios. It's a bit weird but a fun play just the same

Netstorm - a strategy war game. Take command of an island in Nimbus - a place where there is no land just air - take control and fight for the furies who will grant you technology until you finally claim nimbus and stop the citizens from suffering in eternal wars.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!

Dude those games are the two BEST Infinity Engine games let alone best RPGs EVER!

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would like to officially anounce that anyone who refuses play BG1 is an idiot. Not only are thay missing out on the best CRPG in existance but they are thinking that BG2 is better than it, which is blasphemy :p

8. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

full ack, maybe not on the "idiot", but on the rest.

reducing bg down to the graphics shows your incomprehension of the topic rpg, a good story needs no fancy artwork, it happens in your head. and bg´s grafx are not so crappy that you have to let it happen just in your head.

9. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

besides by not playing bg1 you miss out on the *child of bhaal* story :(

[ November 25, 2002, 18:19: Message edited by: jesper898 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.