1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help killing the guardian

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by neemo, Sep 10, 2002.

1. neemo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] can any one help me in ch5 how do i kill the black dragon (guradian) after the snake temple
    are there any triks or somting is kicking my ass
    (sorry for the bad eng)

[ September 10, 2002, 11:13: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Pilsbane Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

He was a pain for me to kill. I had to reload several times before I finally killed him. Basically you have to keep all of your people immune to fear. For this I used the bard song. There is probably other ways but I found this the easiest. After doing that you just have to try and do damage and heal appropriately. Even when I finally did kill him I lost one of my tanks because it was hard healing fast enough to keep up with his damage.

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I put my four melee characters (cleric, barbarian,fighter, rogue) right up on the platform along with 3 Greater Zombie Lords. The meleers all had stoneskin, protection from evil, remove fear, and Improved haste in effect. Champion's strength on the fighter and the barbarian. Basically, I just had them beat on the dragon. My druid/wizard used s Mordenkainen's sword to attack from range, while the sorceror threw magic missiles. I lost the cleric and the barbarian, but killed the dragon.

Characters that got badly wounded ran away a few rounds to heal (the dragon always turned to another melee character). It was close, but it worked.

Most spells are worthless (stick to magic missiles, force missiles, and stuff like that) and archery seems pretty ineffective, too. Just beat the snot out of him with as buffed up a party as you can get. Fortunately, you *know* the guardian is coming right then, so its not cheesy to buff up! :)

4. hans a Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] i cant get him ,i tried 5 hours ,you got some more tipps?
    please.........
    stay irie

5. Vulpes Gems: 1/31

Vell, I have a suggestion:
    (although it might be a tad unfair towards the Guardian)
    - Put the party a little away from the portal, and have one character, preferably not one of the spellcasting kind, to trigger the portal
    - Let this character run towards the stair down from the portal
    - When he is at the bottom of the stair, have (one of) your mage(s) to throw Otilukes resilent sphere on him, and thus make him invulnerable
    - Now the Guardian is trapped, and you can have your spellcasters wreak havoc on him without him beeing able to retaliate
    (- Also, you might want to let a cleric/bard take care of the aura of fear with a remove fear/bardsong)

Two resilent spheres should give you enough time to take him out.

6. hans a Gems: 1/31

my weapons only scratch him,which weapons you use?

7. Vulpes Gems: 1/31

SPELLS! Make sure your spellcasters are ready to dish out damage with almost all their spells. If you trap him lik i suggested, then forget about summoned creatures, they just get wasted anyway. Fireballs, Chain-lightning, etc. all the way. (and you might want to consider some spells like breach and lower resistance to increase the damage done)

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I had an assortment of +3 and +4 weapons. I found that all missile weapons were essentially worthless, but that his damage reduction wasn't particularly onerous with melee weapons of that level of enchantment.

Btw, if you really, really can't kill the dragon, then don't bother fighting him. If you wipe out all the Yuan-ti in the temple and Chult map, you can go back to Kuldahar and move on. However, the reward for killing the beastie is rather nice. And shutting down the portal is a 'better' solution because its more permanent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.