1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help with PC games.

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rawgrim, May 11, 2008.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Need help. Nothing to play at the moment. Hoping the generous, and all-knowing members of this forum might offer some tips. I need to get myself a decent roleplaying game to keep me entertained. Something i haven`t played before. So I will list up the ones I have played. Who i liked and disliked. To remove them from the equation.

The ones I liked : BG 1-2, Kotor 1, Betrayal at Krondor, All of the Ultima games, Might and Magic series, Planescape, Oblivion.

The ones I didn`t like : Diablo, Neverwinter, Kotor 2, Icewind Dale.

So what I am looking for is a game that lets you recruit companions, good story, not pure hack and slash, decent graphics, and so on.

If anyone could toss me some good tips, I would be most happy.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Jade Empire. It has the graphic, the story and the companions. It's not perfect, it's not very long but it's entertaining. Plus it should be cheap by now.

Depending on what you mean by decent graphics, you might consider Arcanum (google it to find screenshots and you'll get an idea). The combat part is not satisfactory IMO but the world and the story are just awesome. It's really original and pleasant.

Vampire Bloodlines offers variety and a change for BG fans. The unofficial patch is a must. You won't get much in the way of companions but it has some great moments. So if you don't mind not playing a party this game is as good as it gets.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The whitcher is good. No companions, fair story. Play jade empire first, and buy the enhanced edition of the Whitcher later. after Mass Effect and drakensang a new dry period will happen until fallout 3 and dragon age come.

Did you play Temple of elemantal Evil. check it out on these boards.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I played Temple of Elemental evil, yes. Was full of bugs, had to stop hehe. I tried Jade Empire as well. Thought it was ok to begin with, but it kind of went downhill on me after awhile. I think I have Arcanum though. somewhere. Might check it out.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fallout I and II. They're old and have graphics similar to BG1, but they are great role playing games.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you haven't played Fallout 1 and 2, these are simply the best!

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Wizardry 8: Similar to the M&M series of games. The game may be out of print now, since Sir-Tech has folded, but there is still some support for the game on many fan sites. But the graphics aren't much to look at. Still it's a decent game.

Also, consider Dungeon Lords. I thought it was OK, but not nearly as good as, say, The Elder Scroll games or the NW2 games. But get the special edition, which is really what the game was supposed to be in the first place, since the first versions of the game were very buggy and difficult to play. This game, like the Wizardry games, was designed by DW Bradley. Yeah, I know...big deal.

I've been playing Titan Quest and I really like it, but you may not since it is sort of like Diablo 2. Although similar, Titan Quest is a more interesting game than D2, IMO.

Gothic 3: I really like the graphics and the story is OK, but I think the combat system is kind of odd. I've never finished the game, but I liked what I played of it, but it seemed sort of hard at the beginning.

Another game I like is Divine Divinity. I have never finished it, but that's not because I don't like it; some games are just too darn long. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

What about Morrowind? No companions, but a very deep story. Similar to Oblivion but more complex.

Also, I quite enjoyed NWN2. The interface and graphics are a bit rough and it used to be buggy as hell (installing about 300MB worth of patches helps) but it has a lot of things to like. Amusing companions, decent story (if unoriginal), best implementation of a 'stronghold' in an RPG to date. Well worth it IMO, although many here disagree.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I have played Fallout 1-2. i agree, great games. Giving NWN2 a last try now. Its buggy as hell. Morrowind I have also played. I got wizardry 8 yesterday. Looks promising. Reminds me alot of might and magic. Never even heard of Divine Divinity though. Might try and get that one and see what it is like.

10. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You beat me to it. Currently making my way through this one after buying it -- what? -- 5 years ago? Lots of combat but has all the good stuff you like to see in RPGs: decent dialog, good voice-acting, freedom to wander and explore.

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Playing wizardry 8 now. Its quite good. Alot of classes and races in this game, and thats a huge bonus. Probably going to be playing that one alot from now on. Going to try Arcanum as well.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Very good choice on both counts! :thumb:

Since you've mentioned the Ultima games, I strongly suggest grabbing a copy of Dungeon Siege and playing Ultima V Lazarus. I'm going through it myself and can honestly say that, even though it's not without flaws, it's still an incredibly good remake.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I have U5 Lazarus actually. Its great. Got tired of it after awhile though, since I had finished the original game some years back. But thanks for the tip though.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Try Arcanum, and be patient with it. It has rather bad graphics and the worst combat system known to man, but it is a brilliant game underneath that. Just so long as you can overcome certain hurdles by sheer patience, all is well.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I tried Arcanum yesterday, and you are right: The combat system was a tad...tedious. But I can understand why people like this game for sure. But it didn`t hook me though. The graphics bit didn`t bother me at all.

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    As Aik warned you've got to be patient with Arcanum. It takes some time to build up, and once you've advanced a bit combat becomes less of a bother and you can start enjoying the game proper.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.