1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need new video card.

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Nakia, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I need to upgrade my video card. Windows doesn't like my current NVidia Card because it isn't 'signed'.

I would like to know what I can get for under USA$250 that is Windows Pro friendly and good for games.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The signed hardware driver problem is just a driver problem. Get valid signed drivers from nVidia and that should be fixed.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow...that's a loaded question without any of the details. (i.e. what kind of game do you play and what kind of interface do you have (either AGP or PCI Express)).

I'm guessing that you have a motherboard with AGP, so for under $200, you could get a nice ATI X1600 Pro with 512MB or RAM. On the nVidia side of things, it looks like you can get a 7600GS with 256MB of RAM for around $250 or less.

To be honest, I've been so busy with school that I haven't been able to keep up with the current video cards.

As for you "not signed" issue, download do as Taza suggests and download the latest drivers from nVidia's website and your problem should go away. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Does it not work, or does Windows just get pissed off and tell you it doesn't like your unsigned driver. If it just doesn't like it, tell it to shut up and install it anyways.

As for a new one, we would definitely need more info as Kitrax says. I have just recently done alot of research on video cards as I am planning on buying a new PC soon, and it is quite a lot of info to look into which makes it not a simple question to answer.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

For around US$200 I've heard good things about the nVIDIA 7900GS - its the slow version of the 7900 and it has a similar cost to most low-mid range cards but better performance. It's also very overclockable.

To really over-simplify the whole gpu thingy

.....................nVIDIA.......ATI

Gen before.....low.......5200.......9200
    last..............mid.......5600.......9600
    ....................high......5700.......9800
    Notes: ATI gets the speed crown. 9800>5700, 9600>5600 (slightly)

Last..............low.......6200.......X300
    Generation.....mid.......6600.......X700
    ...................high......6800.......X800
    Notes: nVIDIA probably does better here. 6600>X700, X800 is slightly faster than the 6800 but costs heaps more. As a comparison an nVIDIA 6600 runs slightly slower than a 9800 (see last gen) in older games, but slightly faster than newer ones.

Current.....low.......7300.......X1300
    Generation..mid.......7600.......X1600
    .............high......7800.......X1800
    ..............v.high....7900.......X1950
    Notes: 7600 roughly comparable with 6800 - faster in newer games, slower in older ones. Pretty close performance wise between ATI and nVIDIA. There isn't a very big change in archiatecture so the performance leap wasn't as great as what was seen in the previous generation.
    I would probably go some version of an nVIDIA 7900 if I were to build a comp atm, but Intel Core 2 Duo's tend to work better with crossfire (2 ATI cards in the same computer) than with SLI (2 nVIDIA cards in the same computer).

Next........high.......8800.......TBA*
    Generation
    * - X2800 at a guess
    Notes: Supports DirectX 10

Suffixes
    NVIDIA - SE/GS - slow edition
    ................GT/GTO/GTs- regular sort edition
    ................GTX - fast edition
    GX2 - 2 cores on one card (very expensive and very fast)

ATI
    ................XT - fast edition
    ................XTX - faster edition
    ................PRO - everything else
    ................50 in place of the 00 - newer and faster than the vanilla version (generally comes out 1/2 a generation cycle later (around 9 months, probably less). Usually results in slightly fast speeds but nothing too huge - just enough to edge it infront of the competition.

Also the speed differences indicated by the suffixes are generally less than by the numbers

[ December 14, 2006, 11:35: Message edited by: Stu ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.