1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Networking home theater system and consoles...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, May 3, 2009.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so we currently have a Direct TV DVR, an Xbox 360, and a Nintendo Wii which all have a LAN port so each can access the internet. I also have my eye on a particular Blu-Ray player and a high-end A/V receiver...and both of those have LAN ports. That's 5 LAN ports just in my home entertainment center...

So how the hell am I going to get all those devices networked? :hmm:

I'm guessing it can't be as easy as plugging them all into a 8-port gigabit switch and then running a single cable to my WiFi router located down the hall.... No, that would make too much sense, and would be too easy. Oh yeah, I plan on getting a NAS box here soon to store all of our music, videos, and pictures...and I'd like to be able to access that through the A/V receiver...

Here's a picture of how I imagine my ideal home network...

[​IMG]

The black WiFi router is a Linksys WRT600N and the 8-port switch is a Linksys EG008W...both support gigabit ethernet.

Will something like that work?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure it would. The only thing you have to remember is that the link from the switch to your router is one gigabit link so all 5 of those devices are sharing that one link. I imagine that's more than enough for those devices combined.

EDIT
    Oh, one thing in the old days is a connection between hubs/routers/switches was a crossover connection (or there was an "uplink" port). These days routers and switches automatically take care of that so you don't have to worry about it. You should make sure that's true for your router and switch, or make sure you get the right kind of cable.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Speaking of cables, you could make your own. It's easy, you just need to put the wires in the correct order... IIRC, White/orange, orange, white/green, blue, White/blue, green, White/brown, brown. I can't remember crossover from the top of my head, but it's probably somewhere in my networking notes.

4. Kitrax

Media:
    Seriously? IIRC, my brother had to buy an adapter just to hook his Xbox up to the internet...however, this was awhile ago, and I don't speak to that idiot, so I can't confirm my poor memory. :bad:

So you're telling me, that if I go out and buy a switch, hook everything up...it will just work? :skeptic:
    I didn't know such a concept was possible....glad to see I was wrong.

I wanted to go with Gigabit because at any given time, the devices active on the network might be 3 (online gaming via console, Direct TV on demand, and media streaming to the receiver), so I figured Gigabit was the only way to go.

I've made both actually. Back in my networking class we had to make several ethernet cables including 10Base-2, 100Base-T, and 1000Base-FX. I don't remember the pin-out off the top of my head either, but I've got a cheat sheet around here somewhere. I just don’t have the crimper...

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Do you have a wireless router? If you do, I recommend going wireless.

I have the following regarding my LAN setup.

I have the DSL connected to my wireless router and the following use the wireless router.

Desktop PC, PS3, and the Wii. I have only one wire coming in and another going to the router; no need to add more wires.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wires will always be better than wireless; they're just more inconvenient. If you can do the wires, you're better off; if not, well, wireless is a pretty handy and useful solution.

I can't speak specifically about any particular device, but anything that you could hook up directly to your router and have it work should work through the switch too.

That's basically my setup at home. I use an old computer running Linux as my router and I have everything connected together via a switch. That includes a couple computers, a VOIP phone, and two different DVR extenders. And all 100Base Tx not gigabit.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The new N standard for wireless lan is getting close to wired internet. Most time uses do not use the full potential of the wire, so the n standard will be as fast as wire in a lot of homes.

8. Kitrax

Media:
    802.11n will have to improve a *lot* to have me consider having it connected to 5 bandwidth hogs. I know that 802.11n has a higher throughput than B/G, but it's not much higher than the standard 100Mbps wired Ethernet. I think I'd prefer running a single CAT5e/CAT6 cable behind the wall, up to the attic, and then back down to my computer room...that way, there's no bandwidth issues. :thumb:

9. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

The N standard usually has 150 or 300 Mbps of bandwidth.

10. Kitrax

Media:
    True...but that depends on several variables. 1000BASE-T offers ~1000Mbps with the only downside being the cable has to be < 100 meters between transceivers...but I wouldn't need that long of a cable.

11. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

802.11n has an actual throughput of about 110 Mbit/s because it operates in half duplex. So wired is about the only choice if you need the bandwidth.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Are you going to be running all of the system compenents at the same time and if so how often?

I don't believe wired is required in your setup. You can go wireless; it will be a bit slower but it will reduce the clutter and fire hazards.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Fire hazards? Err, what? Networking cable doesen't represent any fire hazard. As for clutter, if done correctly, a wired networking setup can actually be fairly discreet.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    Direct TV On Demand will be on 100% of the time...our schedules are all messed up, so we record 90% of what we watch. The reciever will be streaming music/movies from the NAS during parties, working out, and vegging out. :p The consoles/BD player will be used less often...about 2-3 times a week.
    I was thinking the same thing. Our walls have conduit in place for the speaker wire, RG6 cable, and roon enough for a CAT6 cable, so running a single cable up behind the wall to the attic presents no risk. As for cable clutter, every power cord is zip-tied and organized, and I'd probably make all my own custom length CAT6 cables for connecting all the componets to the switch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.