1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Board Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 4, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Here is the latest collection of comments from the official Neverwinter Nights message board.

Rob Bartel, Co-Lead Designer:

Cleric Domains and Feats: We haven't substituted the special abilities with heroic feats. The feats I referred to in my post are part of the normal feat system and don't have anything to do with domains - it was just an example of one of the 'either/or' decisions we have to make in adapting the rules to the computer. All of the cleric domains in the PHB will be supported and each one will have a list of 9 thematically related spells that the cleric can draw from as outlined in the 3rd Edition rules.

Tiles of large castles and monasteries: Yes, the NWN tile system is perfect for situating giant castles and monasteries atop large mesas. =)

Magic items: These 'strength points' you're referring to will actually be the item's 'base value.' That base value will be programmatically determined and displayed within the toolset.

From there, the DM can add a bonus or penalty to the base value (to compensate for a custom-scripted ability that the item has within the module, for instance). Additionally, some stores might be higher priced than others, selling their goods for more than what they're really worth. So the actual in-game cost of the item may differ from the base value but that value will still be there to provide a common benchmark.

As for using that base value to filter unwanted items out of your campaign, absolutely! If you're running a low-level adventure, for instance, you obviously want to keep out items more appropriate for a 20th-level sojourn through the Abyss.

Another use of such a filter would be for gladiatorial contests where you limit the value of the items that players can bring into the ring.

Bob McCabe, Writing & Design

Day/Night cycles: Our official campaign is actually operating outside of time ;)

A module might start in the early morning, and stay that way. Or, it might transition to high noon when a player reaches a certain location. Most of our modules make use of the mood created by nice lightning, or the lack thereof. So, we are not using a more "persistent world" type set-up.

It's probably because we all have God-complexes, and we need absolute
    control ;)

Rest: I'm guessing (I'm a writer, not a programmer), but I think this would likely be hard-coded. However, our "rest system," though well designed, is not yet implemented. So, obviously, things could change between now-and-then. I'm getting so good at non-answers! :p

Tile crossovers: Not really posting so much as confirming accurate educated guesses... I can't go into any great detail just yet ;)

Like Matthew said, most of the tiles have cross-over groups or features. For example, temples aren't found exclusively in the city tileset - they can be found in other tilesets, as well. So, the idea of making villages, not cities, is definitely in. And like the other work-around suggested by JD, if you really wanted to use the city tileset, for example, but have it exist underground, you'd just tinker a little with the lighting and such, and then carefully select the features and groups... it would be very believable :)

Aidan Scanlan, Writing & Design

On servers and ships: You will easily be able to change the target point of any area transition based on conditions that you set. (e.g. going through the door takes you to the curio shop, however if your carrying the holy stone, the door takes you to a magical realm). However, with your example of respawning monsters, you may also set conditions on when they spawn. You would be able to set a delay (or other conditions) on any spawning once a party has cleaned it out. This would save time on making two identical areas.

As for ships, I will not comment on any specific game content, but Neverwinter IS a port city.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.