1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Zealand Rocks

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Football, basketball, baseball etc. are the names of the games, implying all the games use a ball. And New York is the name of the place; not sure how that is redundant.

Do you say applefruit, pearfruit or bananafruit; or is the redundancy reserved only for the kiwifruit? Maybe we should all just call it a gooseberry. :lol:

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You have Grapefruit, Dragonfruit, Starfruit, Passionfruit and Breadfruit though...

And now the word fruit just looks completely wrong! :lol:

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are plenty of words that differ from one English speaking country to the next. What some call a flat I call an apartment. We're both speaking English, but there are differences in how we use it.

Just looking at the UK, there are differences in how we spell words (favor vs. favour), differences in how we format dates (March 25 2011 vs. 25 March 2011), differences in how tell the time (eleven thirty vs. half past eleven). And there are tons of things we use different words for. All while we are speaking what is technically the same language!

What's chap or a bloke? Those aren't even real words in the USA. Why in the name of god would anyone call their taxi driver a governor? (okay, guvnor)? Governors rule states. They don't ferry people around a city. You see, there are differences. Many of them.

Next argument? ;)

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

One of the greatest marketing successes ever.

Interestingly enough, Italy (I bleieve it is) is the leading producer in Kiwifruit. Followed closely by us, then a big jump to either Chile or Argentina.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No earthquake? Oh well.

Perhaps divide the country up?

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We have a winner.

Why, who calls taxi drivers governors?

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    On another note, I actually learned about the New Zealand usage of "Kiwis" from watching the bonus footage from the Lord of the Rings series. I've watched all of the bonus material from the theatrical and extended DVDs for each of the 3 movies.

Over the course what must be at least 12 hours of footage, there's a fair amount of New Zealand's culture that gets sprinkled in. I LOVE the way New Zealanders talk. No matter what they're talking about, it always manages to sound important! :p

The last time I was in London on business, one of my English coworkers busted out with a "thanks guvnor" to our taxi driver. It sounded as natural coming out of his mouth as anything, though it was all I could do to keep from laughing. :lol:

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the idea is that to anyone other than those living in New Zealand, saying "kiwi" pretty much has only one meaning, talking about the kiwifruit, so the "fruit" is pretty much redundant. So it's easy to understand why in other places than New Zealand that the kiwifruit is shortened to just kiwi.

For all those others you mentioned, the "fruit" isn't really redundant; especially the grapefruit. And I've never heard of a dragonfruit :)

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    That's just a cockney thing, and is not just for taxi drivers. It's just for any guy really, like 'mate' or 'buddy'. Although it is used outside of London as well, though usually to mean your boss. This is specifically true in sports; the word seems to have stuck to describe the manager or head coach of a team. It doesn't mean 'governor'. I'm struggling to think why it's funny though?

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 52 seconds later... ----------

But the word 'fruit' on the end of 'kiwi' isn't redundant either, because the word 'kiwi' has its own meaning. The fact that American's aren't aware of the kiwi animal is hardly the worlds fault. Ergo, America is at fault.

Here endeth the sermon lol.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I mentioned, only if you're in New Zealand. I am aware of the other meanings, but I never use them; thus leaving the "fruit" on the end is redundant. And it wasn't only the Americans here who called it "kiwi" instead of "kiwifruit". Even the dictionary indicates one of the meanings of "kiwi" is "kiwifruit".

11. Marceror

Media:
    This individual was from the north of England, where I guess a lot of folks speak with the Geordie dialect. I'm not sure if that's of any particular consequence, but I thought I'd mention it. Thick Geordie, such as is used in the Billy Elliot musical/movie is an absolute hoot to listen to!

As for why it was funny, I guess that's just an American adjusting to English culture thing. There are certain terms/phrases that sound funny to us (and I'm sure the reverse is true). Calling someone "guvnor" or "ole bean" is something an American is likely to do when we're trying to do our best, silly English imitation. When this coworker I was with busted out with the guvnor greeting I guess I was surprised to hear it used in such a serious way. I would only use that word if I was attempting to be silly. Beyond that, it's hard to explain.

I don't intend any offense by that. I have the utmost respect for my English brothers. Hell, a lot of my current job security is derived from GB. But sometimes it's fun to laugh at our differences.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Seeing as it's the NZ peoples word, fruit and animal, I think we should let them settle this.

Harbs, you're on.

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Fixed. :thumb: Let's not get carried away, now.

14. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

They're also known as pitaya or pitahaya. They have a similar texture as kiwis, with small black seeds. They are quite delicious. Or well... I ate a few while in north east Australia and they were delicious, probably because they are grown there and fresh as can be. I tried some imported later here in The Netherlands (can't remember where they were from) and they didn't taste that spectacular at all.

As for kiwis, we call them kiwis in Dutch. Just kiwis. Probably like BTA said because we don't need to make the distinction here. So I'll just continue calling them just kiwis, which is clear to most, and Harbs, you may just guess what I mean :p

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    No no no no noooooooooo. GEORDIES speak with a Geordie accent. People from Sunderland (about 10 miles away) speak with a Maccam accent, people from Middlesbrough (ie me!) are Smoggies and speak with a Teesside accent. They all sound completely different. Do all Americans sound like inbred hicks? Or Canadians?

16. Marceror

Media:
    When did I say, or even imply, that ALL English speak Geordie?????? :almostmad: Aaaaaah!!

Okay, I guess this is like the thing where anyone not from California thinks I'm from Los Angeles, even though I'm a good 60 miles south of it. At any rate... my coworker, in fact, IS from the North of England, so I did not misspeak, but perhaps I could have been more specific! My sincerest f**king apologies for not being more sensitive about which part of the northern section of England he's from!! :D

A) I didn't think it was particularly relevant, and B) I figured those who cared would understand that I didn't mean the entire northern part of England!! How in the hell can a single person be from so many places at once, anyway!! Tell me! Tell meeeeee!! What I hadn't counted on, though, was... Silvery. ;)

Okay, so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities further, my coworker is actually from the north EAST of England. I've heard other English folks refer to them as "north easteners," so if that's somehow not specific enough for you, I can only ask what the hell do you expect from me if this is how your own countrymen talk?! :p

Alright, fine, in fact, I can be more specific. He lives near Newcastle Upon Tyne, in a former mining area that in years past was mostly isolated from the rest of England, and where a thick Geordie accent prevailed. I guess the accent has gotten pretty watered down in the last hundred years or so. My coworker, who is a successful sales director, only occassionally let's slip a bit of his Geordie. He tends to speak in something closer to what I would call Queen's English, but not always. Does this extra detail help at all, love? Are we good now?

Sheesh! That Silvery... nice gal. But MY GOD, is she high maintenance!! :lol:

The women in New Zealand aren't so hard to please are they? (notice how I deftly try to steer my post back on topic) :skeptic:

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think that's a natural consequence of marrying into royalty. :D Probably along with starting to speak in RP overnight. :lol:

18. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Marceror, don't be a dick. All the places I mentioned are in the North-East! :lol:

Tal you're weird, I'm not married to royalty and the last bit made no sense :p

19. Marceror

Media:
    Like I'm really going to know where all those places are. Sheesh. Take a chill pill sister.

20. Silvery

Media:
    With the amount of wine I've drank tonight? I'd end up in a coma doofus! :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.