1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Night Watch

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Newfie, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Newfie Banned

I just saw this movie based in Moscow supposed to be a vampiric Matrix. All I can say it was utter crap and a real borefest. The Nescafe Coffee promos are so obvious spanning the whole movie they become laughable. Terrible and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I'm telling you otherwise :p I loved it. It's a mess, granted. But it's a magnificent mess! Nothing much story wise but visually inspired and a strange mix of modern technology and old russian folklore. Well worth it but not for your average popcorn moviegoer...

3. Newfie Banned

I am not familiar with Russian folklore and probably anyone on this board isn't either. Maybe it takes some background to make it feel right. But to anyone watching this film going in blind it is boring as hell.

The dialogue is so strange and the story keeps hopping around. The moden technology is good for an average TV show here. One CSI episode blows this movie out of the water. There are some good, atmospheric scenes in it but that's hardly worth the price of admission. But to each their own.

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It is exactly that odd nature of the movie that is great. It is not just some giant all-you-can-digest special fx movie, but that's just why it's a nice breath of (dark) fresh air. I admit that it's not super original, but I like the entire grey world. There are no real good guys or bad guys. It's a conflict between two factions that just defend their own position. It's much better than those heroes who have psychological problems ala Peter Parker to make them "more human" to the watcher. They still remain the "good guys". No good guys or bad guys, that's what makes this movie good. And yes, the realisation could have been better.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as there is a Marvel-based or other heavy special effects movie to come out, I'll be seeing it within the first days after release. I just from time to time also want a little bit of something else. Of course, I like the atmosphere of the movie, and if you don't, then there's not much worth going to watch.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I liked it, a lot. A bit different and sometimes a bit hard to understand, but overall a really good and interesting film.

I am now eagerly awaiting for the release of the next two films (Day Watch, Dusk Watch) in this trilogy. Day Watch is already in theaters in Russia, just waiting for the international release now.

6. Newfie Banned

I just can't believe how much a cult following this movie has and why. They even have a video game about it now and two more releases coming out.

Granted there is different stuff here and some great ideas but the film falls flat with all the potential it had. I have just finished watching Underworld: Evolution and this one pales in comparison. I think with the right director and production staff, it could have been mesmerizing. I can kind of see where you guys are coming from, but in terms of entertainment, nope, doesn't have the goods.

7. Alexey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"Night watch" is a very good Russian Sci-Fi / Fantasy movie (in my view: "Lord of the Rings" meets "Prophecy" meets Matrix meets Blade). The movie been out on DVD for some time, but since Fox bought all American distribution rights, they have mandated to stop making NTSC formatted dvds of it. The disk has been slowly disappearing from even Russian stores in America. And Fox kept postponing the release until recent limited release, while sequel "Day Watch" is already out in Russia on pal dvd (without subs only). Both installments beat American movies in Russia. And the studio is insisting on filming the 3rd part in English. Ain't US movie studios wonderful. But they did a good job on making subtitles not a nuisance, but an enhancement

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.