1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No blocking organ donations

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/31082006/325/relatives-lose-right-block-organ-donations.html

I personally think this is a horrible way for the country to go - being that I am Tomophobic I imagine that I would suffer psychologically if my fiance were to have her organs donated should anything happen to her.
    so we made a deal, because she didnt care if her organs were donated or not she carries a donor card, if I die first, then her organs would be donated should it come to that, if she were fatally injured before my death then I would have the power to stop the donation.

having pointed this new law out to her she has now torn up her donor card, and in doing so, the noone will get her organs regardless of the situation.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure in the majority of cases up to this point, where other members of the family were not potential donors as well, the actual donor's wishes were overrided by the family who didn't want to respect the deceased's wishes because of their own emotional selfishness.

Sorry Shoshino, but this is something I feel quite strongly about, so I'm not sugar-coating my opinion in any way.

3. Shoshino

Media:
    you missed my point, what im suggesting is that there will be less actual donors because they know that depending on how their loved-ones feel they cannot override it, and therefore they would rather not donate at all then put their family through a second traumatic experience

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That doesn't make any sense. Under the previous law, if they carried a donor card, then they are putting their families through it regardless. Besides, it seems counter-intuitive that someone other than the deceased has the last say on this matter, when the deceased consented to it when they were in good health and sound mind.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm with Tal on this one. The reasonings for the law are obvious in that its going to prevent the family from going against the doners wishes and frankly we need _more_ doners out there and petty families going against the wishes of their loved ones for such a selfish reason is something that should have been countered a long time ago.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I fail to understand why anybody who agreed to be a donor would now tear up their donor card now. Do people seriously agree to be donors on the understanding that their families will block the donation anyway? That makes no sense to me.

7. Shoshino

Media:
    did anyone read the story about me and my fiance?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, but we don't understand it. She either wants to donate organs or she doesn't. I don't understand why she would want to UNLESS her family doesn't want her to.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I don't understand why people want their organs after they're dead... I mean, you don't need them, and somebody else may need them. And regardless of your religious affiliation, your physical body (that includes organs) will rot it the ground, so might as well send them somewhere useful, right?

How is it emotionally stressful to a family of a deceased to have the dead's internal body parts taken? You don't actually see them. It's not like they are disfiguring something so at the wake you can't even look at the body.

It is selfish for a family to go against one's wishes of helping someone.

[ September 01, 2006, 05:43: Message edited by: Saber ]

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

It's selfish to hold on to ones organs when you're dead when they could save lives. If I never do anything worthwhile in life I KNOW I will do something worthwhile in death since I am an organ doner.

If I'm on my deathbed I'll be sure to demand a surgeon with a cold storage container is nearby to get my bits as fresh as possible. My heart? That'll save a life. My lungs, study them all you want. My liver, some drunkard could have them. Kidneys? I've got two so that's two lives saved. If you find a use for anything in my body, have it, I certainly don't need it anymore.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

-Some people believe that it is a violation of their body, or just have a bad feeling about it for that reason. I have to admit I feel that same tendency to shy away from the idea, but I have a donor card regardless because of the life-saving possibilities.

-Shoshino has stated he has Tomophobia and would suffer psychologically if his girlfriend's organs were removed. It doesn't take a psychologist (or even someone with a dictionary to look up things with a tomo- prefix) to put the two things together and figure out that Tomophobia is some sort of deep-seated fear of tampering with the innards. (I can't imagine how hard it must be if you ever need surgery.) Now let's take three situations:

1. She dies before he dies. With the donor card and this new law, her organs would be donated despite Shoshino's dissent, causing psychological harm to him. Now imagine that she cares for him more than, say, a rock, and wishes to spare him that torment. Hence tearing up the card so that he won't have to face that.

2. He dies before she dies. She can always get another card. I don't imagine they'll refuse her life-saving organs just because she tore up a card once to save her one-and-only from psychological torture. :rolleyes:

3. They both die at the same time (car crash when they're both in the car, or something like that). In that case, it's the fault of this new law that her organs will not be donated. Because with the law, she has to tear up her card so that if the unthinkable happens, Shoshino will not suffer. But without the law, she could keep the card, and if the unthinkable happened to only her, Shoshino could just contest it, but if it happened to both of them at the same time, he wouldn't need to.

-Some people sign a donor card with the insurance that their relatives will know best whether or not they should, passing off the responsibility, and thus not having to think about it. (That's what I did when I was younger, anyway.) With this new law, those people will be forced to take a good, hard look at what they want, and if they can't decide, will play it safe and NOT offer their organs. This will lower organ donations.

On the other side, some people's organs are not donated because of the pure selfishness of their relatives. This law would prevent that. As an example, my mother wanted to be cremated, but her father wanted her to be buried. I give thanks every time I think about it that I didn't have to fight him on that, because some families have been almost destroyed because of conflicts like that.

To put it simply, this law is neither stupid nor the best thing since giving women the vote. It's got upsides, and it's got downsides. And Shoshino, I'm sorry you got caught on a downside. :bad:

[ September 01, 2006, 07:41: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think it will affect that many people. In cases such as Shoshino's yes but that is an unusual case.

I am an organ donor; my cousin who holds my proxy is not. I doubt that she would contest my wishes but this new law guarantees that she could not. It might cause her discomfort but not traumatic damage. If it did cause her traumatic harm I might reconsider, maybe not.

If I were married I would certainly consider my husband's wishes.

13. Shoshino

Media:
    im glad that felinoid has read and understood what im trying to say, with regards to my phobia, and how people didnt have to make the choice for themselves.

it doesnt take suffering from a condition like mine to be traumatised by the idea of your loved one being cut open and harvested for organs when they die though.

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    True, but that's soemthing that should be dealt with in life. Also, if person A has the desire to be an organ donor, it shouldn't be up to person B to deny those wishes out of his/her own fears or motivations. For people who don't have your condition, Shoshino, it shouldn't be too hard to set aside one's own desires and respect the dying wishes of a family member.

Think of it in reverse - suppose that organ donation were mandatory, yet someone belonged to a religion that forbade the practice. Upon that person's death, a family member could say "Oh, he didn't really mean that, go ahead and take whatever you need" and jepoardize the deceased's salvation.

IOW, I'm all for the law, and I wish it would be adopted here.

15. Shoshino

Media:
    i dont think it really works like that for many people.

lots of people just simply become an organ donor because they dont care what happens to them after death- very few people have the 'desire' to be a donor, and my fiance and brothers are perfect examples of the apathy along the lines of "yeah whatever"

dessication of a corpse is illegal

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think your two examples are more of an exception to the rule here. Every single organ donor I know (I've definitely talked to at least 15 about this over the years) holds the exact, SAME philosophy that Abomination nicely explained above. Me included. Giving whoever is in charge of these things the permission to cut me up and take out whatever could save or ease someone's else's life is the least that I can do, and a moral responsibility as far as I'm concerned. If you ask me, it's the easiest sacrifice you can ever make, and certainly something that every sensible god should approve of.

Well, at least any god that I'd respect.

So your idea that most people become organ donors just because they don't care what happens to them after death goes completely against what I and every other organ donor I know think. We actually all feel very strongly that we want to contribute to saving lives by giving up our organs after we don't need them any more. Most of us probably don't live healthily enough for our organs to be suitable for transplantation, but it's the thought that counts, if nothing else. If you decide on cremation after death, it hardly makes a difference if they cremate your body with a few organs less. Looking at the ashes, it's not going to cause anyone any more (or less) grief either way.

Certainly, this is a very pragmatic way of looking at this issue, but I believe that as long as a person is not required by their religion not to do it, it should be the only natural thing to do.

17. Harbourboy

Spectacularly easy in fact. So easy that I still cannot understand any reasons against it, despite the comments that there are supposedly good reasons to be against organ donation. I'd almost say that organ donation should just be mandatory and be done with it.

18. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Throughout history, Judaism was opposed to body modifications such as piercings or tattoos. One was expected to return to the earth with all the parts God gave one, and to deface God's creation was wrong. However, when organ donation became a reality, Reform Judaism was quick to approve the practice since preserving the quality of life is the ultimate virtue.

The justification was that all of the donor's parts would eventually return to the earth, even if at different times.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31

On the cremation process, organ loss would hardly affect the amount of ashes at all since most ashes are from the bone and nothing else and as far as I know there's very little one can do with somebody elses bones bar make a rather grusome mug and xlyaphone set...

20. Shoshino

Media:
    i brought this up in the local this afternoon with the regs and staff, all of them who could drive (8 i think) were organ donors, signed up when they applied for their driving licence. when i asked why did they sign up none of them really knew, the replies were along the lines of "i dont care, i'll be dead"

that, to me, is not the sign of someone who truly believes and wants to be an organ donor, that is someone who doesnt really give a damn- and i think that is a very common sentiment.

i got a bit deeper into the conversation with one of the boys from the darts team later in the night, and i told him about the new legislation, he was not impressed, his words were "im going to have to talk to my wife about this now"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.