1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non-standard paladin-y stuff

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by chevalier, Jun 10, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Kits (from before 3E :p ), feats, selectable traits, optional rules etc that aren't in the the player's book, DM's book or paladin's handbook, but are worth mentioning. Please?

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

1) Spiked chain, Weapon Finesse (spiked chain), Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm.

That is very devious. Totally un-paladin-y. Also fairly broken.

2) Poison/disease. +5 Armor spikes. Grapple. Weapon focus (grapple).

Bwhahahaha.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have an anti paladin kit here, though I don't think to tables will show up on the forum very well. I can email you the netbook if you want, juust give me your email.

[ June 22, 2003, 11:46: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

4. chevalier

Media:
    Well, I'd rather keep to goody pallies, but thanks anyway ;)

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Monte Cook had a new version of the Paladin class and a nice paladin PrC in his 'Book of Hallow Might". The new paladin version helps to address the 10+ level problem with Paladin abilities and the PrC (I'm blanking on the name - Knights of the Pale or something) offs a nice set of suite powers that you can elect to take each day depending on level. I'd also expert the forth coming "Book of Exalted Deeds" would have a number of good options for you.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    A pally who isn't a member of a Whatever order, very dexterious, not noble, poor and not sociable, Think of Keldorn of BG2 and do contrary...^^ :)

7. chevalier

Media:
    @DM: squire kit, more or less? Or do you mean he's just not born noble? Pallies are considered nobles from the beginning or from the point they're knighted. But since most of them are already knighted when starting the game...

My present DND2 Errant pally has STR 16 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 16 WIS 17 CHA 18. He hates the idea of being a subject or a vassal, is noble but has no land, no official title etc etc and doesn't really want to become a member of any order, to say the least. He likes drinking, is addicted to some herbs, reputed dandy and womaniser, has no instinct of self-preservation in speech and of course cynical, bitter, arrogant, morbid and sombre even though clinically goody and kind as well as too helpful for his own good ;) He likes hanging out with elves, druids and rangers, hopes to become an elven friend, has some ancient elven blood in his veins (so long ago that he's entirely of human race, with only slightly different looks) also has a special kindness for elven lasses ;)

As you probably have guessed, I'm seeking to make some use of his INT and WIS, but it's to no avail, apart from some rare checks or opportunities :( Any ideas about some options to take that would actually matter?

[ June 25, 2003, 20:58: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I guess if a guy is smart and wise perhaps he could invent something. Like Jan from BG2 for example. Well perhaps it not the best example :( He's a gnome after all.

If i were you i'd invent some new feats which require high inteligence or/and wisdom. Zen archery comes to mind. :cool:

Something to make him uniqe not just a paladin with 16/14/12/16/17/18.

But perhaps you shouldnt take my advices that seriously... i havent really played PnP enough to come to this stage. Will someday though :grin: of that i am sure.

9. Ofelix

Media:
    What I mean about "Not Noble" the he/she doesn't has a title (beside being knighted) do not own land or anything. Just a commoner with Great heart who manage to get involve in the paladinhood, but still doesn't really active in any paladin order just a vagabond paladin. Anyway with those stats he should get Item creation feat well at high enough level because after all he's a spell caster since he got spell no? High wisdom? More spell isn't that enough already?

10. chevalier

Media:
    In 3E he'd get some possibly bonuses... but in 3E no DM would allow me to run such a character - the sum total in 93 and it has never been rolled actually...

Well, and I get your point about nobility.

This one guy has a legendary descent from times long forgotten, including some elven ancestors ages ago and some other strange ancestors - all that over a thousand years afore the game so far as history is concerned and then all lost in legends. However, he has no land, no political power, no money, no profitable affiliations etc. In fact he'd best become a priest, but he didn't want to. Of course still spotless manners, etiquette, arrogant genteel accent etc, but he's authentically kind and helpful... and more than short with moronic boors who just happen to have some crappy title or a few chests of gold. I suppose in 2ED it's best complimented by Expatriate or Errant kit followed by some academic and diplomatic skills.... but still it doesn't really give much. In 3E a few feats could be interesting, but then the stats would have to be converted and they would be little different from one another. Also, no prestige class from Defenders of Faith or similar books for fighters seems fitting.

11. Ofelix

Media:
    Why don't you make your own Kit/Prestige class ? As long the DM allow it and it isn't overpowered I don't see what is wrong about it.

huuummm in 3E those would be +3, +2, +1, +3, +3, +4 yeah a litle high no? I mean at level one he will get:

BBA: +4
    AC: 12
    Hit-point: 11
    Will: +8
    Fortitude: +6
    Reflexe: +6
    and 6(x4) skill point...! (if he's human if not 5(X4)

but in 2E those stats aren't as high (well yeah but since you do not gain any bonus before 15...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.