1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Not Responding

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Saber, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

[​IMG] Alright, yet another problem: A lot of the time that I use my computer, my programs seem to encounter problems, and end up not responding. This happens more often when I am running a lot of applications, but it also occurs when I am only running one or two. I recently updated my driver, so I don't think that is a problem...

Any ideas on what could be causing my programs to not respond?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Which OS? What computer specs?

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It could be a lack of available RAM or other system reasources. Before I upgraded to 1GB of RAM, I couldn't run Adobe Photoshop while using WinAmp.

But as Tal asked, we really do need more specs on your computer to be of much help. :rolling:

4. Saber

Alright, I'll get those as soon as possible (I'm not at my dad's house; I don't know anyways, and my friend who does know is unavailable until monday).

And which specs do you need? Any specific ones, or...?

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Processor speed, hard drive size, operating system. amount of RAM, how much have you loaded up your hard drive. If you have cable of DSL and are always online some programs are always running to update themselves and this can slow you down as well. Do you have a video card or integrated graphics?

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How much do you mean when saying many programs? Which programs (or how heavy if you can tell that) are the ones that crash when only running 1 or 2? What (kind of) programs are always on, even in background?

7. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The most crucial element here is your RAM. How much do you have and what programs do you normally run. These two parts are the most important since they will determine how most of us will answer.

Some other useful information would be what processor you use, how large is your hard drive, graphic card, do you have enough fans to keep your system cooled, enough power, etc...

8. Saber

Alrighty then, I'll get those to you next week, as I can't find them out at my mom's house.

9. Saber

Hard Drives (186 GB each): WDC WD2000BB-55GUA0 (2 of them, one of which only has 44.8 GB left on it)

Display Adaptor: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (what are these?):
    NVIDIA nForce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller
    NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller

Processor: AMD Athalon(tm)64 Processor 3200+
    22.2GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

I usually run IE, iTunes, AIM, as well as various windows of My Computer (if I'm working on cleaning my computer, etc). When I'm watching movies or playing games, I usually don't run anything else.

Maybe these will help... ^^^

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

What operating system do you run? The rest of the computer is a heck of a lot faster than mine. Do you have a lot of programs that keep checking for updates like desktop weather alerts and such?

By not responding do you mean that it lakes a long time for stuff to work, or that it doesn't work at all.
    Are there some programs that do it more often than others. Lastly, do you restart your computer often or not?

11. Saber

I am on Windows XP Professional. McAffee checks for updates, as does Microsoft itself.

By not responding, I mean, it freezes up and gives me a "this program is not responding" message, and it either doesn't work after that, or takes a long time to start working again.

This happens the most with Windows Media Player and IE, but happens on various other programs as well.

No, I do not restart my computer very much. I leave it on all weekend, and sometimes shut it down over the week. Perhaps I should always keep it shut down during the week (I am not over at my dad's during the week, which is where my computer is)?

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

If you have broadband and are always hooked to the internet you can get a fair amount of spyware that can slow things down. I restart my PC at least once every two days, it help to reset things. If no one else uses it when your gone you may want to shut down while your gone. If this doesn't help you will need more than me, to bail you out. Lucky for you there are smart people on this site.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There you go then. Even I know that my computer works much better if I shut it down and restart it at least once a day. I think it's nuts to leave a computer on for longer than a day. What a waste of power, at the very least.

14. Saber

Alrighty, thank you very much. I will try this so called "Restarting" right away...

/me restarts computer

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow...I want a 22.2GHz CPU! :eek:

As for leaving your computer on for long periods of time, it can mess things up a bit...but at my work, each computer in each bay (usually 6-7 computers per bay) have Intel Celerons running Windows XP Pro...and they are left on 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, and in during the month that I've worked there, none of the computers in my bay have had a single problem or hangup. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.