1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Novice problems...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ta'al, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Ta'al Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi, I have a problem:

I am new to BG2 and keep getting killed. My character is a Kensai but I keep dying. So, do I keep taking this ego-trouncing punishment, or do I just use ShadowKeeper to give myself some extra HP?

Please, tips for a Kensai novice would be appreciated.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If you keep dying, try lowering the difficulty, then see if it is any easier.

Whatever you do, don't resort to shadow keeper, although it has many uses, try to see if you can work around the problem i.e., find a different route or try different tactics.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited April 22, 2001).]

3. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

dont take the easy way out, use the game to your advantage, if your kensai cant fight yet, get a few fighters, minsc, korgon, valygar. or go with the druids and clerics and summon stuff.

4. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, some details on your post made me wondering if you use a party... EGO, My hitpoints etc. Maybe you should start with picking up some party members to fight with you. Kensais have horrible ac to play solo, no wonder it wouldn't work...

This game can be played solo, but only with a very select number of classes. If this isn't the case, forget what I said, and Lower the difficulty and start reading some walkthroughs for playing tips. Just read carefull to avoid spoiling to much of the game contents. There are also some cheesy tricks in this game to make it VERY simple, avoid those too :p

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    the kensai´s problem is his lack of armorclass. You can overcome it by casting some protective spells like ironskin/ Stoneskin etc on him. That would help.

I´d also choose single weapon style and equip girdle of piercing and boots of avoidance on him to protect him from missiles. All this could help improve his survivability ;)

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Kensais are definately a tough class to play, especially to people not used to BG2. I never cared for them as a straight class, but that's just a personal preference. Obviously the problem with Kensais is the ac. They really don't have any. If you really want to play one, first make sure your ac is as high as possible. Second, until they reach reasonably high levels, Kensais are a hazard to the party and the player. You can't just rush the from line with them. If you want to stay alive, keep to the back. Get any armor enhancing rings and amulets you can find for this character as he will need them. However, I'd suggest boots of speed just to keep you safe if you get in trouble. I'd also consider dual weilding just to get your hits in harder and faster before you get killed by a better armored enemy. I'd suggest keeping the better armored fighters up front to rush the enemy and using the Kensai as backup who can rush quickly and strike quickly.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Odd... I rarely died... but my strategy was to send my OTHER fighters in first. Send minsc in front with your other fighters and send your kensai in through the back or the side in a flanking manuever, this way, while minsc is causing damage, he is also shielding you and allowing you to cause greater damage. As your Kensai gets stronger you wont need to do this as much, but it would be wiser if you did.
    -Safety first-

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] * Find out Why your kensai dies!
    Here are a few ideas:
    - Look at his HP's, AC, equipment and proficiencies.
    - Are the other characters doing what they can to help during battle?
    - Do you try to kill all enemies at the same time (bad idea) or do you concentrate on killing one or two at a time(good idea)?
    - Are enemy spells killing/dominating/charming/holding your kensai?

Armor Class:
    - 18 dexterity is very important: Improves AC by 4.
    - Two proficiencies in Single Weapon Style: Improves AC by 2.
    (or...
    - Two Weapon Style and buy one or two of the few weapons that give you AC bonus.)

- Cloak, Ring(s) or Amulet that improve AC.
    - Some spells can improve AC.

Ragusa:
    You can't cast Iron Skin/Stone Skin on someone else only on the caster.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.