1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPR/Face the Nation-anyone hear it? PC stuff

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I wqas listening to NPR today (yes I'm still unemployed and don't start school for one more week) and it was about the 20 yr birthday for the PC. There were a few guests, one of whom spoke about the decay of society and the connectedness of social systems due to the internet, and how he doesn't know anyone who tells great stories anymore (can you believe it?) and there was a time when you could work on your own car if you wanted to (you had to, they broke all the time). Anyway, I tried to call and get on there but it was busy. So, I listened for a while and shut it off.
    Anyway, what are your thought on the internet, the future of computers, and what the PC can do for you? Personally, I love them. I used to hate them, but I've grown more familiar with them and I'm always learning how to better use them and their capabilities. I remember working on TRS-80's in grade school and learning BASIC. I'm not too big on PCs in schools these days because I think they learn how to use them, but they don't learn how they work or the language they understand and why. The end result are students who know how to go online and be advertised to and go shopping or play Tribes! But, by and large, I love computers. I love the fact that I finally bought one a few years ago. Not just for the games and the internet, but for all the time it has saved me and the fun it provides just checking it out and tinkering and so on.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Orkrist, I'm in agreement with you. So many people today can use computer but don't know why things happen, i.e. how they work. BASIC or DOS were great languages because if you know how to write the command the computer would do what you wanted. Today in a window environment many time things don't work because the designers did 'think' of doing things that way and thus did not code it into the system. You are limited by their creativity.

Windows don't teach you the technology just a process. So many users don't know why things happen and if anything goes wrong they are at a loss.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.