1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN player thinking about getting BG2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dice, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So I know that NWN is a more recent game than BG2 and they are both made by bioware. I was thinking about getting a BG2 and expansion set because they are very reasonable in price right now but I was wondering if it is worth it? Is there much difference between the two games and does the BG2 gamestyle feel older than NWN? Tell me if I should get it.

2. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

get it

3. Sorun Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BG2 is superior to NWN in every way.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Including the ruleset. ;) Heck, just take a look at the topic and post counts for the forums here and you can see that BG2 (either forum) has more than any other game by a very wide margin.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what is important to you as a game player. Two things that tend to turn off some players:

- The graphics are obviously older (I like the BG2 graphics better myself).
    - You do not have as much flexibility in creating your characters (2nd generation rules).

The Baldur's Gate Saga is much better when it comes to a developed storyline and character interaction.

Oh yes, the price is right, too.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    BG2 and NWN have so very little in common that there's very little point in comparing them. They look, feel and play very differently. I personally didn't like NWN, but consider BG2 to be excellent.

BG2 is obviously older, and it shows, mainly because the game isn't 3D (there's an option for hardware acceleration, but it doesn't do much). I think the BG2 graphics are actually better because there's far more variety in there, and far more surprises visually. Music is excellent - some tunes are the "epic" NWN style, but most, especially in SoA, are more moody, and usually fit very well.

Any comparison really stops with the gameplay. NWN is a solo (ie no party, in single-player at least) game, with most of the emphasis being on combat and stat building of your character. The story is just window-dressing, and NPC characterisation is minimal. BG2 is meant for party play, and combat is much more tactical and requires more micro-management. It's still very combat-driven, but NPC development is far more advanced, and there's much more opportunity for role-playing. Quests are more involved, and the story is more detailed (even though at its core it's still a "kill foozle" plot).

Both games provide very different experiences, so your enjoyment of one absolutely does not guarantee you'll like the other. However, considering the price of the SoA/ToB combo, I think they're definitely worth a try.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The big advantage that NWN has over BG2 is that you have MUCH more flexibility over how you create your character in NWN. If you like that, then you might feel a bit restricted in BG2.

On the other hand, BG2 has the advantage of having interesting NPCs in your party who have distinct personalities.

I would say that if you like the idea of computer role playing games, then you should probably get BG2 because it is generally accepted to be one of the better examples of this genre. At the very least, it is worth trying so you can decide for yourself. As you say, the price is right, so you can't really lose.

8. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31

Do it. It will bring hours of light and wonder into your home. And there's Boo. Say hello, Boo. *squeak* :D

9. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I personally found NWN such a let-down after BG that I almost cried. I had to force myself to finish it (hey...I paid for it! I wasn't going to NOT play it! :) ), and haven't picked it up since, whereas I've played BG (specifically SoA and ToB) MANY times over. There's just so much more dimension to BG than to NWN, which I found to be basically hack and slash.

However, if you truly enjoyed NWN (and no one's suggesting that's a BAD thing), you might find the gameplay of BG a little jarring. As others have said, the games are quite different. By all means, buy it, since you can get it cheap, but give yourself time to appreciate it; you might find it a bit too alien at first. I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually decided it was the BEST GAME EVER! :D

10. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31

@Gregor
    Absolutely. Comparing NWN to BG2 is like comparing Doom to Half-Life. It's that good.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Don't let the people here raise your expectations too high. BGII is a good game, but it still has plenty of faults and not everyone will want to play it a million times over (I've barely managed to play it twice). But it is definitely worth trying out.

12. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Harbourboy:

Take thy beak from out my heart! :mad:

Seriously, though; he's right. Don't let people oversell you on BG. Just be aware that it's BETTER THAN TEN SUPERBOWLS! :p

13. Harbourboy

I agree with that one. It is definitely much better than ten Superbowls and will last considerably longer.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Plus for those of us who like replaying it there are all the mods to choose from. After you have played the vanila game.

It is a great game. I have had mine for years and still love it.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So is watching paint dry.

But back on topic - I haven't played NWN. But BG2 has this certain "something" that keeps me coming back for more. Kinda like SP. :D

16. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I can't stand NWN - I don't like the whole 3D camera thing and the fact that you can only have one NPC join you at any one time. BGII, however, is great. I like the good old graphics, many different character and party combinations, banters, quests...the list is just about endless.

If you like NWN and the graphics in it, there's a small chance that you won't like BGII quite as much. But BGII is a bit more..I dunno really, it just allows you to do more with it. Choose the party, good or evil, loads of dialogue options, not really a set path etc. Me, I say get it and join the moron committee. :p :shake:

17. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BG2 is superior to NWN in all aspects. BG2 has a nicer "style" in the graphics, NWN:s graphics look kind of "pale" to me. Comparing NPC interaction is like comparing Doom to Half-Life 2. BG2 has superior character creation due to the kits, which I prefer over the NWN skills and feats and flexible multiclassing. The combat of BG2 is far more tactical and enjoyable because you have six people to use instead of one. In short, I like NWN too, but BG2 is BY FAR the better

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I never really got into NWN, it always felt a tad too hack'n'slash for me, thats not to say its a bad thing, but BGII has a greater level of tactical depth to it. If you dont like the party thing, you can take just the player character through BG2 (though this is harder, and probably not recomended for a 1st timer - after all you'll miss out on all the npc interaction!!)

As for graphics, NWN was built when 3D rpg's were relatively new, and the colours and the detail wern't quite as rich as I would like them (thats just me). The maps in BGII are superb, works of art. I wouldn't change the camera even if given the choice, it works fine.

Although I can't really compare it to NWN, the story, dialogue and quests are brilliant, and probably the best I've seen in any game.

19. Harbourboy

No way. Character creation is the biggest area that NWN has over BGII. There is far more flexibility in NWN and more interesting options on level up. Levelling up becomes boring in BGII after a while.

On the other hand, BGII has more interesting side quests and more funny in-jokes, so is more entertaining than NWN in that respect.

20. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, now lets see if my husband is able to find it for me while he is out and about today. I sent him with instructions but he is on bike so our shopping options are slightly limited. You've all efficiently convinced me to get it despite the superbowl thing (I tend to agree with Splunge on that one) The only problem might be that they don't carry it everywhere because it is an older game and the place that I saw it was downtown which is way too far by bike on a day like today.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.