1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

O.J. Simpson is confessing. "Hypothetically", that is.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Good ol' OJ, who was acquitted in criminal court 11 years ago of 2 murders, is apparently being paid $3.5 million to write about the murder of his ex-wife and that other dude...

"If I did it" ??? WTF? He *did* do it. :skeptic: I think that since he's been acquitted, and can't be charged with the same crime again, he's finally able to come out and say, "Yeah, I killed them." and not get tossed in jail. Hell, he's going to be making $3.5 million for this little confession! :toofar:

You're thoughts? :rolling:

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Who knew that "hypothetically" killing people could be such a financial booster.

Makes me wonder how he blew all his money...

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, a huge chunk of his money went to paying for the wrongful death lawsuit that he lost.

This is really stupid - he should either admit his guilt or refuse to comment on it at all. Cashing in this way without admitting his guilt is just tacky.

4. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Hypothetically eh? Why bother writing a book where he might have done it unless he had some sort of insider info into how someone would go about murdering their wife and their wifes friend?

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    This is one of those times where I'm, ah, not totally opposed to vigilantism.

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not the trial was fair, anyone who's going to profit to the tune of $3.5 million from the murder of his ex-wife and pal really deserves to suffer incapacitating injury.

6. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually, he has paid virtually NONE of the money he owes from that suit.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is a surefire way to success.

Either A, he didn't do it. But then, considering all the grief, debts, and whatnots this is a good way to have society pay back.

Or B, he did it, and since he can't be convicted now anyway why not cash in on it? Suck on it.

Is that why he's serving time for it? Oh, that's right, they couldn't prove it, and neither can you.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's because of the Chewbacca defence :D :D :D

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, he's not guilty of murder. He was convicted on a wrongful death civil case. I can only assume that Son of Sam Laws that prevent your from profiting from a crime do not apply to civil suits.

10. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

If you want to know where all his money went just look at the house he lives in.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

They could not legally seize either his house or his pension to pay the damages assessed in the lawsuit so he got to keep both of those.

12. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

What??! So what you're saying is, that because of the harrassment O.J. received for KILLING HIS FAMILY, he should be awarded 3.5 MILLION DOLLARS ON A PLATTER? Okay, okay, I know that they couldn't prove that O.J. did it. But as Nataraja pointed out, a play-by-play of him brutally murdering his wife and friend could hardly be written without at least some sort of inside information of exactly what it's like to massacre your significant other. Really, its things like this that make you hope to God Hell exists, and that people like O.J. eventually get to pay their dues over an eternity or two. Man, I sure wish I could get 3 1/2 mill as compensation for being harrassed by the media! Maybe I'll just shoot someone and say I was duck hunting. That oughta get 'em fired up. Early retirement, here I come! :D

13. nunsbane

nunsbane

Given a layout of the area where the crime was commited it would not be hard to work out the logistics of cutting two people...O.J. would not need inside information to devise a workable plan. However, his intimate knowledge of the crime sure will come in handy - there is little doubt as to his guilt in my mind.

O.J. would not have this opportunity to profit from murder if there were not people out there who will buy this book. The whole situation is disgusting - from him getting away with murder to him profiting from it to the people who will buy his book.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are legal ways aroung the lawsuit -- and he's managed to find another loophole. In this case, the victims families will not get a dime; OJ has arranged for profits to go to his children. So, legally, he is not getting any of the 3½ million dollars and none of the money will go toward the wrongful death award.

Register: OJ got off because the US legal system is very biased towards financial ability. OJ hired the best attorneys possible while the state had to rely on the district attorneys office -- Marcia Clark was way out of her league and it showed. The defense team was able to select a jury of technophobics who did not want to understand DNA evidence and would rather look at it as a racial issue (having a bigoted police officer enter the fray was the coup de grace).

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Although to be fair to the jury, the time when racism was both legal and legally mandated was (and is) still in living memory. It's understandable why they'd think/feel the way they did.

Though, to understand is not necessarily to forgive

16. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Not sure if this was posted yet, but thought it was relevant and didn't have the time to check each post.

O.J. Simpson Book, TV Special Canceled
    link here

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, I just heard the news. FOX pulled the plug on him. I guess they realized that the old "Any publicity is good publicity" bit doesn't apply to everything... :bad:

Glad to see his plan shut down, at least, for now. :rolling:

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Lets put it this way: an innocent person would not want to have to do anything with the accused murder of their loved ones. If he was innocent, he would never write a book about how he killed them.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    FOX had no choice. There was way too much outrage over this sleazy attempt at big ratings.

And I agree with everything that T2 commented on regarding the O.J. case. And this piece pretty well covers my feelings about it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15820344/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.