1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama arrested for drunk driving

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK, so it wasn't the President, but it is his Uncle. Since he is an illegal alien (just like his Aunt Zeituni) I'm wondering if he will be deported. I know she was able to find a judge who overturned years of INS decisions to kick her out after Barack was elected. I wonder if he will be as lucky.

This happened in my neck of the woods so it is a big topic of conversation as we had no idea he had an uncle living in the next town.

Link

Obama Onyango lives in a modest, single-family home on a quiet, leafy street in Framingham.

He hosted popular backyard barbecues. His pale yellow house was always bustling with people.

And he’d pass the time on the front porch, adorned with a welcome mat and flower pots.

It almost sounds like the American Dream. A 2011 version of it, maybe. Because the 67-year-old Kenyan who happens to be President Obama’s uncle wasn’t supposed to be living here, let alone driving drunk here. He’s what some people call undocumented. What others call illegal.

Immigration authorities had been on the lookout for Onyango and found him last week after Framingham cops busted him on an operating under the influence charge. He’s currently locked up in Plymouth County Jail on an immigration warrant.

Court documents report Onyango’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy when the cops pulled him over last week, after he narrowly missed a police cruiser with his SUV. He reeked of alcohol. He slurred his speech and was wobbly on his feet. He failed three field sobriety tests and blew nearly double the legal limit.

“I think I will call the White House,” Onyango said when the cops offered him his one phone call.

Onyango’s arrest comes on the heels of a horrific drunken-driving accident in Milford, where an illegal alien is accused of dragging a young man to death.

Onyango’s sister is Zeituni Onyango, the president’s aunt who won asylum last year after reporters found her living — also as an illegal alien — on welfare in a South Boston public housing project.

At least the uncle had a job . . . even if he wasn’t legally entitled to one. Obama Onyango told police he worked at a local liquor store.

No one in the Onyango household was interested in talking about it yesterday. But neighbors were stunned to learn the president’s uncle was living among them, in their working-class neighborhood.

Jennifer Jimenez, 26, affectionately referred to him as the “old guy” while growing up.

“He’s just a normal guy. He’s always saying hi to us. He’s very nice,” Jimenez said. “He’s like the big guy of the house. He takes care of everybody.”

Longtime resident Roger Small said, “He’s cordial, neighborly. You see a lot of the neighborhood kids in their back yard.”

Yesterday, SUVs lined the driveway of Onyango’s home. A young man mowed the lawn, and a girl on the porch was staring intently at her laptop.

To think, this humble Framingham household is just one degree of separation from the White House. It looked exactly like a little slice of the American Dream . . . except for Onyango, it is illegal.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. You'd think if you were illegal, you'd be more careful. I guess he figures his nephew will get him out of it. :)

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll give Obama lots of credit for getting to where he is today. Then you have family members that just don't help your cause, pulling this stupid type of crap. That has to just plain suck...

What do you do if your Obama? Step in and have everyone blast you or ignore the issue and have everyone balst you? Looks like lose/lose to me.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's funny how some people will make an issue [a thread in TAoLS??!!!] out of Obama's uncle gertting a DWI, but ignore that GWB and Kevin Bradey, our GOP congressman in my district, were given DWIs. You are so funny, Snook. :lol: You never fail to amaze with your obvious, blantant, double standard.

Silvery likes this.
  5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Chandos... ever think that maybe this personal dispute between you and snook needs to end?

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know, Chandos, I think this is actually thread-worthy. Obama is basically stuck, and I'm curious to see how he'll handle this. If Onyango gets off, even with no help from the president, Obama must have arranged it. It is in his best interest politically for Onyango to be deported, but Obama can't rightly manipulate the legal process to achieve that result, either. Whatever Obama chooses to do (or not do) and whatever happens down the road will if nothing else be interesting.

Incidentally, the article does do a bit of misleading regarding the circumstances surrounding Obama's aunt. It also exaggerates when it states she was on welfare. She was, but it should be pointed out that she was actually living in subsidized housing, and was in the country legally as an asylum seeker when it was granted back in 2002. She has actually been fighting for asylum (while in violation of a 2004 order to leave the country) for almost 10 years.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Not really, Drew, at least in my opinion. It was like when Rick Perry was caught by a state trooper and told him who he was and that the trooper should "let him go on down the road." It wasn't much of a story here because really, no one cared, even though Perry was taped and it aired on TV. People expect politicans to use their political clout to get out of minor problems. Sometimes it works for them and sometimes it doesn't.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I don't care if this illegal piece of <guess, just guess!> is related to Barack Obama, George HW Bush, President Thomas S. Monson*, Rick Perry, or the late lamented Martin Luther King Jr. No double standard from this conservative. The illegal shouold be sent on a plane back to whatever hole he crawled out of, or shot out of hand for his lack of respect for the law. Illegal means just that -- illegal. No right to be in the country, no right to live here, and IMHO he should be afforded no rights at all but the right to get the hell out and try to do it legally the way millions of LEGAL immigrants do.

*the current leader of the mainstream LDS church, a religious group renowned for it's generally conservative stance on most issues.

9. Drew

Media:
    LKD, I understand that illegal immigration is illegal, but so is jaywalking, speeding, or keeping a pot-bellied pig as a pet in Cedar Rapids, IA. Illegal immigrants are not, as a group, awful people, and you shouldn't lump them in with criminals. Would you call a jaywalker, a speeder, or even a drunk driver a piece of <guess, just guess!>? Didn't think so. Or maybe you would. If you are the type of person who judges jaywalkers, speeders, and drunk drivers so harshly, feel free to carry on as you have been. There is no reason to talk about this further if that is how you see things. I just hope you aren't subject to your own standard of judgment the next time you make an unfortunate mistake...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sneaking into a country and living there for years is a very deliberate act. I dont see it as merely a minor "unfortunate mistake" on par with jaywalking. That's where we disagree, Drew. I realize that many of them are just trying to build a better life and escape from horrid situations back home, but that doesn't give them the right to ignore the laws of the country they are illegally entering. The law should be applied to them swiftly and they should be removed to make room for law abiding immigrants.

Oh, and as an aside, I've seen families devastated by drunk drivers. They are all pieces of **** and I don't hesitate to say so. I've got very little sympathy for them either, and in fact would categorize them as deserving of harsher punishment than your otherwise law abiding illegal immigrant.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Something tells me that when GWB got his DWI it didn't make the national news as wasn't he a nobody when it happened, and as to Bradey, I've never heard about him so once again I'm guessing it wasn't national news. Obama is the President so things that involve him get more coverage. Kind of like when the Bush girls were busted for drinking.

I didn't know we had a dispute. I've always thought I got along quite nicely with Chandos.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So the distinction is based on being a "deliberate act"? But jaywalking isn't an "unfortunate mistake"; like sneaking into a country illegally, it's a very deliberate act. Just like exceeding the speed limit by 10kph. Or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Yes, he entered the country illegally. But by all accounts, he's been a model citizen**. Should he be allowed to stay? I'm not sure. But to label him as a piece of <guess, just guess!>, while not surprising coming from you, is nonetheless grotesquely unfair.

**Edit - well, maybe not "model citizen", given why he was stopped in the first place, but while he's not perfect, it's not like he's low-life scum (although I know you'll disagree, given your attitude towrds drunk driving).

Death Rabbit likes this.
  13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Jeez, why so sensitive? So a guy on an internet message board has a thing against illegal aliens. Big deal. It would be 'grotesquely unfair' to kill an innocent, not to say you hate illegal aliens. Or should we break out the string section and have a good cry?

Regardless, I find this attitude of "we all know LKD, :rolleyes:" or "we all know forum member x :rolleyes:" (e.g. "not surprising coming from you") that crops up occasionally quite bizarre. The guy is obviously intelligent and capable of debate, as are most SP members, so categorizing them in some way in order to attempt to frame their points as somehow invalid ahead of time is really lazy and dishonest, imo. Try debating him instead.

Not just devastated, but destroyed, or even eliminated. I think that was a really poor example.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not “sensitive”, just not over-the-top hostile. And to describe killing an innocent as being "grotesquely unfair" is an understatement, to say the least.

Yes, he is intelligent and capable of debate, but he is also rather extreme when it comes to enforcing the law. I was just pointing out that his opinion here is nothing unusual. I certainly wasn’t being “dishonest” (quite the opposite, in fact). As for being “lazy”, I did debate him (as you suggested), but I also wanted to put his comments in perspective. Was it necessary? Perhaps not. But it wasn’t out of place either.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to agree with LKD and Gaear on this one. We can play the Sesame Street game of "one of these things is not like the others". Drunk driving IMO is a far greater offense than speeding or jaywalking. You aren't going to kill someone by jaywalking, and the person most at risk for injury is yourself. You also aren't likely to kill someone while speeding unless you're going ridiculously fast. Doing 75 in a 60 zone isn't something I consider gross negligence - but going say, 105 I would. But most people pulled over for speeding aren't doing 105 in a 60. Driving drunk is easily the one example where your actions are greatly increasing the risk of serious injury and possibly death to you and others.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's exactly how I see it. It's really just that we don't agree on politics. It's nothing personal, Snook. :)

17. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Oh, ok, it just seemed that some comments sounded a little.... venomous from time to time, but if I've over read into things then I apologise.

18. Drew

Media:
    This is true, and it was not my intent to equate drunk driving with Jaywalking. My intent was to liken Jaywalking and illegal immigration. I brought up drunk driving because that is what Onyango was pulled over for, and I bristle at the idea of calling a drunk driver criminal scum (or something even more extreme) solely on the basis of that single mis-step. No man should be judged solely on the basis of his worst moment. Drunk driving is irresponsible and dangerous, but lots of good people have made the mistake of doing it. Our penalties for it are simultaneously too harsh and too lenient. Mandating rehab is a laugh, because not every drunk driver is an alcoholic. Fines in the thousands of dollars are excessive for Americans in lower economic brackets and useless for the upper middle class or the wealthy, and it is ridiculous that we allow drunk drivers to keep their licenses in many instances, or only take them for 6 months. The minimum time-frame should be at least 2 years, which is long enough to hurt, long enough to ensure the lesson is learned, and long enough to be a real and legitimate deterrent.

That said, I do liken illegal immigration to speeding or jaywalking. No one is robbed, no one is endangered -- like drunk driving laws, we have immigration laws for a reason, and we should do a better job of preventing, finding, and responding to infractions with deportation. Nevertheless, that does not mean we should liken illegal immigration to real crimes like murder or child molestation -- or even drunk driving for that matter.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.