1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama finally releases his birth certificate

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Apr 27, 2011.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Finally

Personally, I have always felt that this is one of the reasons either he or his advisors are not first class. This should have been done two years ago and the entire issue would have been settled.

Now if we can only get him to release his college transcripts :D

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Snook, you think it is over?

For sane minds, this was supposedly settled since ... 2008. We're in 2011 now. Why do you think this will change anything? Because, obviously, it is a forgery. It must be.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    True, there will always be conspiracy nutjobs (look at how many people still think that Bush brought down the towers) , but this will satisfy the vast majority of people who were in doubt. Having something on politifact is useless, having Fox News will carry significantly more weight. It appears to have convinced Trump and that will convince even more people.

Even non conspiracy theorists believe in the old adage of "Where there is smoke there is fire". Either Obama, his advisors, or both are idiots for waiting so long to release this. If it had been released when the issues were first raised there would be even fewer people who would believe it is a forgery. Waiting two plus years of course will make people question.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For f*cks sake, what the hell is wrong with people. There is no "finally." HE DID release it 2 years ago. He would not have even been ALLOWED to run for president had he not presented this when applying for his candidacy. You can't just raise your hand and say "put me on the ballot."

This is so god damn stupid. I'm actually a little annoyed with Obama for humoring morons.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, it's not over. I listened to this on the radio on the way into work, and they took calls from people who had doubts before afterwards. Here's what I heard before arriving at work:
    1. Now I want to know about his mother's passport. Does it show she was in the country when he was supposedly born in Hawaii?
    2. I heard that in 1961 in Hawaii, both parents had to be US citizens for their child to be a US citizen.

Oh, no, it's not over :lol:

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If that was true, he wouldn't have to do the dog and pony show he did today. If that was true, you would have found copies of it all over the internet. What he released today is something new (not new as in they just made it in a secret room at DNC headquarters, but new as in the public hasn't seen it before.)

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seriously, would any sane person want their birth certificate on the internet? Wasn't the assurances from nearly every Hawaiian official adequate? Trump is an idiot who could have been focusing on real issues instead of this garbage.

Personally I feel birthers are all just sore losers whose heads are firmly up their asses.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    I believe it's just that they didn't think someone would be nutty enough not to see this settled in 2008.

I mean, it was Republicans and Republican or tea party affiliated nutjobs and/or arsonists who used the birther theme as political ammo to paint Barack HUSSEIN Obama as the other, a Muslim, from Kenia or Indonesia, an illegitimate ursurper - and you blame his advisors. I think you are mistaken. The theme, just as it persisted after 2008, will persist now - largely and precisely not thanks to Obama's or his teams omissions but due to deliberate actions of his detractors.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Snook, you aren't listening. Again - that fact that he was even allowed to run for President of the United States at all should be proof enough for anyone who isn't a complete idiot that Barack Hussain Obama is indeed an American citizen. You simply can't get on the ballot to be POTUS without submitting your short-form birth certificate (which as far as the State Department is concerned is just as good as the long form)* to the Federal Elections Commission. Since he's president now, obviously, he did that. That you personally didn't get to see the long form, frankly, means dick.

And BTA is right - this is FAR from over. Every hack forgery expert in the country is going to be paraded on cable news. People are going to ask why there are no foot prints on the form, and insist on yet more evidence. That the state of Hawaii doesn't require them will not dissuade anyone these intrepid seekers of truth. If anything, birtherism will now get WORSE because they got the f*cking President of the United States to respond to their idiocy. It's a disgrace, and it makes our whole country look bad.

* Removed typo, added clarification.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Regular people, no, but it's no big deal for Obama. His DOB is already public knowledge and no one is likely to try to steal his identity.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I was under the impression he released his short form birth certificate a few years ago. This is the long form, and I don't what the difference is (other than length), but I guess it's "new" in that respect.

I don't really care about the birther movement at all. Those are people that aren't going to believe Obama no matter what he does, didn't vote for him in 2008, and won't vote for him 2012 - again, no matter what he does.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    And here is where I believe you are incorrect. There is a reason why there are states that are attempting to pass legislation requiring a birth certificate to get on the ballot. I believe you are taking a great leap of faith in assuming that there are some sort of formal procedures to get on the ballot. A quick Google of the MA rules state that you can be put on the ballot if you get enough nomination signatures, are a national candidate, or the chairperson of a state party can put you on the ballot. They mention the rules to be President, but it doesn't appear that they are ever asked to formally disclose. Other states I'm sure have their own rules. According to this here are ten states that clearly have realized that their procedures do not call for "proof" that someone is eligible. Admittedly, before Obama, nobody probably thought it was an issue.

As an aside you may recall there were some groups that were saying that McCain wasn't eligible either as he was born in the Panama Canal Zone.

So in conclusion I am listening to what you are saying, I just don't think you have your facts straight. It appears that it is the states that decide who gets on the ballots not the FEC and if the states aren't asking for the birth certificate then people requesting to see it may actually be worth "Dick" as you so eloquently put it.

I found this which shows the process of running.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 29 seconds later... ----------

The difference is the long form lists what hospital you were born in, who the doctor was and has the signatures of everyone involved. The other form didn't. While not an earth shattering difference, it was enough to make many people question it.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The real idiots are the racists who have been trying to keep Obama off the ballot in 2012, such as those in AZ.

http://nation.foxnews.com/arizona/2011/01/26/arizona-pass-2012-eligibility-law

I guess some people are having a hard time believing a black man can do well in college and become President of the United States...maybe Trump should release his records as well, as should Palin.

14. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Like that old Lady said at the McCain rally; Obama is a Arab!!! lol

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I question why he bothered releasing the certificate at all. AFAIK, there are two groups of people in this country: 1) Those that believed all along that he was born in Hawaii and thus didn't need any convincing in the first place and 2) Those that don't believe he was born in the US, and cannot be convinced no matter the evidence.

There cannot be many fence-sitters out there. People who looked at the certificate and said, "OK, now I believe him!" I mean, it's like 69.9% believed him all along, 29.9% didn't, and the remaining 0.2% weren't sure.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Like some other racist laws that are being passed, such as against voter registration drives, and the ability to dissolve the elected governments at the local level. Funny, these issues never came up before we had a black man become president. Isn't it?

http://killfile.new.newsvine.com/_n...ties-without-a-public-vote?commentId=52571222

Because they [Republican run states] were passing "laws" to keep him off the ballot in 2012.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    His stated purpose was to stop the silliness due to the media concentrating on the nonsense these "circus sideshows and carnival barkers" were spouting instead of the real issues of the day.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Thinking of it, that is most certainly correct. Good observation.

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Speaking as an outsider here:

What's the big deal? Even I know that you have to be an American to be President. He's President, ergo, he's an American.

Edit: Actually, i'm not done yet.

American politics are totally ridiculous. It's all petty, childish jabs and insults as far as I can tell. Spreading lies about your opponents, etc. It's just bizarre to me, entirely theatrical.

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Snook, you seriously have to be kidding me. If I have to spell this out, I guess I'll do it.
    Indeed there is. These are ALL red or swing states with large groups of self-identified Tea Partiers and/or birthers, and these bills are ALL sponsored by legislators involved in the Tea Party movement. This is a pretty obvious attempt to keep Obama off the ballot in 2012 and little else. I'm not saying that's ALL there is to it, but if you want me to believe that these people suddenly became so concerned out of nowhere that we didn't have enough government red tape – well, you're going to have to explain that.

The only state where this legislation has gotten anywhere is Arizona - and even their governor Jan Brewer (hardly a moderate Republican) vetoed the legislation and dismissed it as time-wasting nonsense. As has the conservative-dominated Supreme Court whenever it's been brought to them. It is a joke - but more on that in a minute.
    I do recall that. And I called them shameful idiots then, too.
    Here's the thing. The states decide who gets on the ballot for state party primaries – and requirements for that are a bit loose, you're right. However, whenever a candidate as a serious contender to be President (meaning they get secret service detail, they're soon or likely to receive their party's nomination, etc.) they undergo a very extensive background check. Some of the things they are asked for are their passports, tax records, social security numbers, and proof of live birth. Then they dig up everything they can on you. Our government is sloppy in many areas but one area where we do not screw around is the election of the President. If there was any discrepancy in his claims of citizenship, believe me, it would have been caught early and his campaign simply would not have happened – especially when you consider how many politicos were calling up State and demanding it be investigated.

As any government employee can tell you, everyone gets a background check. Doesn't matter if you're washing dishes or making bombs. Especially when considering the job we're discussing here, do you honestly think a guy named Barack Hussein Obama wouldn't get one? In a post-9/11 America? Serious question.

IF that isn't enough, you seem to forget that the birther issue was raised many times during the actual campaign of 2008. Leave aside the fact that if the RNC could have actually used this (outside of red meat for the crowds and talk radio, that is), they would have, as it would have pitted them against a weaker replacement candidate. I think it is safe to assume that the FEC and the State Department could have nullified his candidacy at any point during that year if they were unsatisfied with his documentation. Even the Bush Administration, who was still in charge from Obama's election until January 5, 2009, could have had then-Secretary of State Rice (or anyone in the Bush Administration, for that matter) press this issue. And it would have been advantageous of them to do so, you'd agree, because Obama would have forfeited the election and McCain would have become President by default. But no one pressed it. The requirements were satisfied then, and they're satisfied now.

I made a mistake earlier - he didn't submit the long form when he ran for President. That was a mis-speak on my part. I did mean the short form. The short form is enough to satisfy the State Department to verify citizenship and eligibility to run for President. The govt. and the media also called the State of Hawaii Dept. of Health to verify the existence of the long form. So if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. That that evidently isn't good enough for you is, I'm sorry to say, pretty meaningless.

Since 2008, FactCheck.org has published 4 separate articles regarding this issue. I would suggest looking to them and not articles from WorldNetDaily.

http://factcheck.org/2011/04/indeed-born-in-the-u-s-a/
    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/03/more-citizenship-quibbles/
    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/more-birther-nonsense-obamas-1981-pakistan-trip/
    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/was-obama-born-in-the-usa/

This is very simple. The White House's position for more than two years has been that all "birther" questions were answered by the Certificate of Life Birth (also known as the "short form") - acquired by the Obama campaign on June 6, 2007 when the campaign filed their paperwork with the FEC and released by the campaign in 2008 to satisfy the first birther rumors. For rational people, this settled the issue. And now we have the long-form certificate in an attempt to satisfy the non-rational people – which proves that the COLB was legitimate all along and answered all reasonable questions about Obama's birth. In fact, on April 22 of this year the Obama people had to make a special request of the state of Hawaii to produce the longform as it is against their policy to release it (they consider the short form THE certificate suitable for public viewing). But I imagine Hawaii is sick of all the nut jobs calling them every day, so they complied. Not that it will satisfy the birthers.

But all of this is meaningless, anyway. It ignores why this even is an issue in the first place. Some people are so desperate to justify their dislike of certain powerful people that they'll believe anything that justifies their prejudice about that person and will dismiss or find fault in any evidence that proves them wrong. Since they hate and distrust him so much they can't accept that he was legitimately elected, so they want him DISQUALIFIED NOW and kicked out, not beaten fairly in the next election. I understand why certain kinds of people can get so invested in this craziness (it happens in a small chunk of the left, too). I just never thought I would ever see the level of outright insanity and absence of basic reason as we are seeing now in the birthers - which now make up a majority of the Republican party. It's like an Orwell novel come to life.

Drew likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.