1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Of bangs, and bucks, and RAM

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Buenos dias, seniors!

I have a Windows 7 machine that isn't running as quickly and efficiently as it should, and I'm thinking a RAM upgrade is in order. I have:

Intel i5 760 2.80Ghz Lynnfield Quadcore CPU
    ASUS P7P55D-E PRO P55 R Mobo
    4gb GSKILL RipJaw DDR3 RAM
    1Tb WD Caviar Black 6gb/s SATA HD
    EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB

Games I'm playing lately:

Civilization V (with all expansions)
    Bioshock: Infinite
    Borderlands 2 (unplayed yet, just downloaded)
    Skyrim (with all expansions)
    SimCity (2012)
    FarCry3 (unplayed yet, just downloaded)

I get the most hiccups and slowdowns during Civ5 and Bioshock: Infinite.

What I'm THINKING of doing is upgrading to 16gb of RAM, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

I'm hoping this should give me a nice performance boost to get me through at least 2015 before I need another system upgrade.

Thoughts?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The games giving you problems don’t surprise me; I suspect Far Cry 3 will be a problem too. I’ve found in the past that adding RAM has been a good short-term solution. I don’t know that you need to go 16GB, though. 8GB would be about half the cost and would likely do just as well with your processor and GPU.

3. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

an SSD upgrade what be a better long term solution besides upgrading the guts to something like ivy bridge/haswell. Besides what resolution you running the games at? the 560 might sturggle a little in the newer games at 1080por up. i game at 1680x1050 on a 660 GT and I know I wouldn't be able to handle the newer games at 1080p+ without some slow downs here and there but an SSD for your os and a few of those games like skyrim and bioshock should help out a lot as well.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Small upgrades with minimal gain.

Buy upgrades you can use in a new pc.

First memory, second a new GPU. The gain will not be great since the processor is the weakest link after upgrades, but noticeable. A SSD is a nice addition in general, not solely for gaming performance.

With a SSD you have two choices. Windows and essential programmes only: 128/64 GB.
    Windows, essentials and games 256GB.

My advice is save money and buy fourth generation core I5 Haswell. 2015 is highly optimistic.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, probably a better idea.

I beat Bioshock Infinite the other day, and the slowdowns I referred to only happened here and there. 95% of my playing time, the framerate was in the 60s per second. It never crashed on me - just became a problem sometimes when it would happen mid-fight. Same thing happened occasionally with Diablo 3.

Problems, yes - but nothing worth spending $1000 to remedy.

I think I'll keep kicking along with the current system until some time in 2014, when I can set aside $1000 for a full upgrade (SSD, CPU w/MB, RAM, Power, and maybe GPU).

Thanks guys.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.