1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Of half-orcs...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Arabwel, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Now, I have half a mind to make a half-orc NPC to my campaign (still need the players *rolleyes*) and I started to wonder about something...

In the rulebook it says (I think) that half-orcs are human/orc hybrids.... is this a requirement or are, say, orc/elf hybrids possible?

Because if human/elf is compactible as is human/orc, wouldn't that make orc/elf compactibble as well?

I know, I know.... strange. Blame the one throwing a tin can at the Vogon!

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] That one race(the orcs) is a very flexible race does not dictate that the other races(halflings,humans, elves etc) having offspring with it are flexible. If you think of it in a geometric way and use three circles to illustrate the reproductive abilities of each race, then you can place both the Human and elf circles partially in the Orc circle, but they don't necessarily need to overlap each other.

But I would say it is your choice, how far the overlap goes. It is always a charm when a DM's improvise rationally if you ask me, so good luck with your ideas :) . The background story for this male or female orc-elf would also be very interesting.

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As the DM, you're able to create whatever race you deem interesting. You could have a character who is the offspring of a orc and a half-elf, if you wanted (1/2 orc, 1/4 human, 1/4 elf). Just think Piers Anthony, Xanth, and love springs. :D

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Thou are mad! mad! but I like it! It could be possible but elf and orc despice each other.

That's the way I see it

+1 dex (elven ancestor)

+1 strenght (orcish ancestor)

-1 int, cha (orcish ancerstor)

+1 to listen, spot, and wilderness lore ( with the cunning of the elf and the barbaric lineage of the orc, they know how to live in the wild)

Automatic use of Long sword (as anybody with
    elven blood)

Both elven and orcish blood ( they can use elven and orcish magic item with the same capacity of elf and orc)

M size

Favourite class: I'm taking suggestion^^

They gain some of the grace of elf and sme of strengh of orc, however their intellect in charisma are still below average thanks the their orcish oroging. On the other hand the Constitution penality from elf disapear since the orc people are made for battle in it show in their DNA.

:p When you're a it why not halfling/gnome ? and elf/dwarf*? dwarf*/orc human/dwarf*

THEY are Medium size humanoid after all

5. Arabwel

Media:
    Thankies... I am pretty sure I can make this freaky NPC of mine to work...

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

The half-blood traits are given for the race with the more "dominant" bloodline. The half-orc would be more orcish than elven. Or vice versa.
    Should just use half-elf if it's more of an elf than an orc.

if making races (in 3e) the stat bonus should always give or subtract a mod. A +1 stat bonus from race simply dont exist.

Now, if you want to create something "unique" try and subtract the the elf traits and the orc trais.

Orc: +4 +0 +0 -2 -2 -2
    elf: +0 +2 -2 +0 +0 +0
    ----------------------
    best of both worlds: +4 +2 -2 -2 -2 -2
    cut in half: +2 0 0 -2 0 -2

sorta ends in half orc traits, so I'd go with that. If more elf-like, use half-elf traits. Probably combine the race he'll use with the society he's grown up in.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Given that in some cosmologies, orcs are warped and fallen elves, such acombo in that cosmology would be similar to a 1/2 baatzu, 1/2 deva -- sorta strange! But in other cosmologies, it could work.

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

What about a 1/4 Avariel, 1/4 Tiefling, 1/2 Orc. It might be interesting...

9. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Oh yes, why not do a 1/4 Illithid, 1/4 Purple Worm and 1/2 Orc while you're at it. :rolleyes:

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    @ Lokken:

Bah! I just guess that it was 8AM when I posted so D&D rules was wayyy ahead(SP?) of me!

Anyway why not 1/8 human 1/8 elf 1/8 gnome 1/8 dwarf 1/8 orc 1/8 halfling 1/8 ogre 1/8 Ilithid

I mean thos eight race *could* have children betwen them over the age and form this race the ¨1/8 human 1/8 elven 1/8 gnomish 1/8 dwarven 1/8 orcish 1/8 halflinish 1/8 ogrish 1/8 Ilithidish¨

:D :D :D

Anyway elf/orc could make a good if role played right.

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

There are half-dwarves in the Dark Sun world, and an orc-elf hybrid is mentioned in Arcanum (In Arcanum orcs and elves are both derived from human stock, by way of "supernatural selection").

***ARCANUM SPOILER****

In one side quest it is mentioned that a conspiracy of gnomes attempted to interbreed orcs and elves in order to produce a race of super-bodyguards who were both strong and magically proficient. It didn't work, but I can't remember why not. If I find out, I'll post it - might provide some interesting inspiration for your elf/orc NPC.

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

hehe, well as an elf/orc, I wouldn't put that much weight in the race modifiers, more the story :)

That numbers are just numbers.. damn boring ;)

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Since elves and orcs are pretty much mortal enemies, I can't see it happening. Remember that it's not a good idea to apply genetics and other real sciences to D&D to that kind of extent.

Of course, if you really wanted to, no one's there to stop you. I just think it violates one of the fundamental Tolkeinesque concepts: Elves good, Orcs bad.

And whatever you do, please don't make the racial stat modifiers odd.

EDIT: if you're feeling really creative, go buy the Fiend Folio (from SP, of course!). Then you can experiment with Half-Fey, Half-Trolls, and Half-Illithids. Or the Manual of the Planes (ditto) - Elemental or Half-elemental creatures.

[ September 09, 2003, 03:47: Message edited by: Oaz ]

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I suppose it is possible, depending on your world. If it's in say, Middle Earth, forget it. If it's in anything that even vaguely resembles Middle Earth, forget it.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    Nooo! I am sick of everyone aluding orcs as bad and elves good...

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

@Lokken
    In your example Orc's do not get +2 con.

I'll make a 1/3-solar 1/3-balor 1/3-Kobold. Don't ask about the threesome. :1eye:

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Heh...you'd like Arcanum. It's got a community of fascist elves and a political agitator trying to form Trade Unions for the poor, oppressed orcs.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    Nice...

You know, this one LARP world has a description of orcs along the lines of: Orcs are spphisticated, hihgly intelligent and love their creature comforts. Their culture is highly advanced as well. Or was. Before elves and men drove them to the swamps and forests to live the life od foragers and woodsmen...

Edit: I havew come to the conclusion that my hybrid will, at least outwardly, resemble an Uruk-Hai. That is, one that bathes regularily :D Tall, muscled, bronzed, pointy-eared, pointy-teethed, not that hairy... and so forth.

[ September 11, 2003, 09:10: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

19. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'm thinking that the father of the orc/elf must be evil, because I don't think there will be a elf who will like an orc.

20. Arabwel

Media:
    you apparently do't read the same stuff I do....

anyways, the backstory will be something along the lines of orc-molests-elf, elf-gets-pregnant, elf-dies-giving-birth, half-elf-finsd-the-baby, half-elf-raises-the-baby-because-(s)he-used-to-adventure-with-a-half-orc-of-note

or something like that anyway.

Although knowing me, I don't want to know what I'll come up with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.