1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Old-school) Adventure Game Fans

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, May 1, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I miss those two characters... I seriously need to play the Sam & Max re-releases. I've tried a couple of demos and they brought nostalgia on big time. :D

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What the heck are you waiting for? Season two is already complete! They're cheap, each episode only takes a couple hours to play, and they're loads of fun! :)

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I just have to get my hands on The Day of the Tentacle.

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Sam & Max sound fun, but I hate that they are being released in bits.
    Give me Monkey Island or Voodoo Kid anytime.
    I'm not too picky, though. If it's point-click-and-think, I'll play it.
    Pixel hunts never appealed to me.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BTA, actually, I was waiting for the whole season to conclude, planning to get each season in a pack so I didn't have to bother with it one by one. Though I didn't plan on S2 concluding before getting S1. :p

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah to all of you! :)

Sam & Max aren't really released "in bits"; each episode is a complete game, though all the epsiodes (and even season 1 and 2) are tied together with a common theme. I can understand if you don't like it that they are shorter games due to being released in this way (I completed each episode in a day and usually in just a few hours), but waiting for the entire season won't change that.

And truly it is no bother getting them one episode at a time because they really take very little time to download and the process could not be simpler. I purchase the whole season at a time, and they email me when the next episode is ready with a link to download it. I click the link, wait for it to download, then enter the code they gave me with the purchase when I start it up the first time and away I go!

7. Taluntain

Media:
    I actually wanted to get it in a box too... couldn't do that until each season concluded and it was released the traditional way.

8. Loreseeker

Media:
    BTA: Ok, fine, Sam & Max episodes are not bits, they are little games :p.
    No, seriously, I like the feeling of continuity the whole series gives you. In any case, I don't think I'll be able to get them until after all my exams are done. Real life and all that... :(

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bah to you again Tal! :) You could have done both, and had a pristine unopened box! Telltale offered the season one owners the complete boxed set for just the cost of shipping :)

10. Taluntain

Media:
    That's cool, didn't know that. But USA only, I'm guessing...

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Not sure; I actually didn't take advantage of it, so it also might have just been a naked DVD rather than a real box :)

But anyway, I thought this was the "Adventure Game Fans" club and not the "Bad Excuses fot Not Playing Adventure Games" club! :lol:

The other great adventures I've played in recent years were The Longest Journey and its sequel Dreamfall. I'm looking forward to the supposed upcoming episodic content of this series' continuation as well.

12. Loreseeker

Media:
    I'm playing The Longest Journey right now. Dreamfall is probably next.

I liked some of The Adventure Company's titles, Jules Verne inspired: Return to the Mysterious Island, Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Uru was nice, imo... because the logic of some of the puzzles was different than what I was used to. I wish it was less physical and character based, and more pure library/grey cells type, but giving that it was supposed to go online, that had to be expected.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    So besides the obvious TLJ and Dreamfall, is there anything good that's been released in the last few years?

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Sam & Max! :p

But seriously, I'd be interested to hear of good ones too. I see reviews occasionally in PC Gamer, but nothing that screams "Buy Me!".

Well, besides Sam & Max, but I already bought them. One more thing I like about the epsiodic content is that every month for five or six months you get a new game to play. Pretty satisfying IMO :)

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The only games that I've considered getting recently (aside from Sam & Max) are Broken Sword 4 and Simon the Sorcerer 4. I found the previous games in both series to be immsensely disappointing due to very annoying controls and interface. The newest games are supposed to have returned to the old point and click style, hence the temptation to get them.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I've kind of lost faith with the adventure genre, they just don't seem the same anymore. I never liked the Longest Journey either for some reason, seemed like awful jumping from place to place with a mediocre story. Gabriel Knight 3 was the last adventure game that I thought as brilliant. I still play some of the older ones from time to time.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    One great thing about adventures is that there are so many good old ones that you could spend years playing all of them. And with DOSbox or MS Virtual PC it's easier than ever.

18. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I loved these. Discworld Noir was heartbreaking as I really loved it but wont run on XP. :cry:
    And Curse of monkey island? Sooooooooooo funny!

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Talking of funny adventure games, remember Toonstruck? When the malevolator shoots the barn and you get "Mistress Marge" and "Punisher Polly", I LOVED that!

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Toonstruck's been on my mind lately a lot, funny you should mention it. A great game, I really need to replay it soon.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.