1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Olympics

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Is anyone watching the Olympics and when yes... what games?

As real sport-freak I almost watch anything and that isn't good for my health... all sports are for me at night...... so I sleep late and awake early....

Most interesting are speedskating and icehockey....

Icehockey final Canada - America? :)

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Being Norwegian, what do you reckon? I've only missed two Norwegian medals so far. Eurosport I love you! And Bjorndalen is the man!

Living in the UK it's great. I just set the Video recorder for whatever I want to watch, doesn't matter if it's not live since no-one here cares about the stuff really, so never know the results before I sit down to watch.

I gather Sweden now want a sporting union with Norway.....

On the Icehockey I gotta say I was more than surprised at Sweden getting knocked out since they've looked by far the best so far. Still, kind of sums up their games I'm afraid.

My money is tentatively on the Ruskies, but whoever get through their game with the USA has to be a good shout. Canada will get to the final, but they have been awful so far.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Unfortunatly for Norway, Sondral had no good day... only bronze... I expected more from the speedskaters.. for the rest is Norway very good this time... So do you also watch the Curling-finals? :)

I must commit I sometimes watch a curling-game :)

4. Viking Gems: 19/31

Curling is a tad naff tho' as sport goes. Still, with Britain in the ladies final and Norway in the mens, I might watch them tonight.

Sondreaal fell in training and had 16 stitches in his arm. He wasn't feeling too good either, so I think he was quite satisfied with the bronze to be honest. Still, the Yank that won ran one hell of a race! 1.43.95! Bloody hell, that's quick. Certainly well worthy of winning.

I'm concerned about Norway's future in speed skating though. I can't see anyone coming through to this sort of level at the moment.

Having grown up living two blocks away from Bislet Stadium in Oslo, I remember as a kid watching loads of WC and EC races there. First time I ever went (I was about 7 I think) Hans van Helden I think won the overall title. Can't remember if it was world or European though.

The one performer that stands out in my mind was watching Eric Heiden win the WC there. He was fantastic! The scary thing was the size of the blokes legs. I swear even now I could fit both my legs into one of his as they were then, and at 1.90 I'm not small.

So yeah, you could say I've got a soft spot for the speed skating, but I might have to follow the Dutch for a few years until we get back up there, as it's looking bleak at the moment.

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The first week I was watching it nonstop. No it's lost its apeal and I watch it when I catch it.

Bobsleghing I made a point to watch. Also I watched the skeleton. Wow! They go fast. It like zoom zoom the camras hardly keep up. The coolest thing though is that their head is only a inch off the ground!

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

For the people from America:

I wake up at 9, work from 10-6.. then I train for tabletennis or play D&D.... 9 o' clock in the evening the Olympics Start... often the interesting stuff is at 1 o' clock in the night... I sleep at 3 then.. when we win a medal, I'll watch the ceremony... wich is at 4:30 on the night.. then I sleep at 5.... I'll live that way for already 1,5 week now.. it's pretty tiring

7. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah that's pretty much the smae for me. I had an exam today, didn't really do well. I think I'm gonna flunk it (stupid college). I watched Janica Kostelic getting a medal at 4:30.
    I hope that Russia beat USA in hockey, and hey, maybe Belarus wins gold! (nah...)
    Ski jumping and hockey are the two best sports, but all the time it's figure skating or curling on TV. Could there be stupider sports?

I watch pretty much anything, from cross country to hockey.But I hate figure skating!

[This message has been edited by Corr Raven (edited February 21, 2002).]

8. frobo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] There are some dumb sports in the olympics. But there are lots of other cool, and sometimes odd ones like skiing, bobsled, skeleton, biathalon, etc. Its fun to watch! And, GO TEAM USA!!! As of 2/20 they were tied with Germany with 9 golds each. However, Germany still has more medals, but I'm sure we'll catch up.
    -CJ
    P.S. altho, i do have to admit the Germans are good tho!

9. Laches Gems: 19/31

Well, I don't know that the US can catch up. If they don't win another medal though they have already had their most succesful winter olympics ever and made the greatest improvement ever for a nation. The host nation always does well. I was cynical about that thinking that a lot of that would be due to biased judging but the US is winning in the various bob sleds which obviously aren't judged. Hard to figure out but I guess it is in large part emotional.

Now then, this is important: what the hell is curling? Is that really a sport? How can it be a sport if a middle aged guy with a beer gut can win a medal? See, it doesn't make any sense. I'm sure there is something to it, but chess isn't a sport either even though it takes skill too.

Congrats to Team Canada's women hockey team who defeated the US for the gold. The US had beaten Canada like a red headed step child for 8 consecutive times so this was a gritty win.

Also, there is too much posturing now. The nonsense that Team Russia is pulling today is a bit silly. Is it coincidence that the women's figure skating finals are tonight and this puts pressure on the judges? How can you have a pairs event with 4 gold medalists? What's up with that? I like watching the short track speed skating, it's a rush. but it doesn't make much sense to me. I could've won the gold in the first race, apparently if someone causes everyone to wipe out the guy who was so bad he was way in the back can win the gold because he was so far behind he avoided the wreck. There was no re-race and it was decided by an Australian judge, is it coincidence it gave the gold to an Australian for the first time ever. Fast forward to the next final event where the Korean cuts off the American Apolo and prevents him from passing and winning the gold. The same judge DQ's the Korean giving Apolo gold. How can someone cause a massive wreck and they don't do anything but later someone simply almost causes a wreck and they DQ him costing him a gold. Is it mere coincidence that in one case the decision gave Australia gold and in the next cast Australia didn't have a medal at stake? They need to clean this stuff up.

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hooray!
    We won the curling!

That's, erm, our first Winter Olympic gold medal since Torville & Dean in Sarajevo 1983 :heh:

11. Dad watches curling and hockey...I got to sleep at 00.00AM for that ..Finland lost..
    The hockey, I mean.

Ezellohar Shark
    (Me needs a life...Who can give me one?)

12. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Time wasters! ;)

/me sleeps at 3 for online D&D sessions only.

I hate sports...Bix, want the 2004 olympics for the Netherlands?

/me gives away Greece's dose of the Olympics to ANYONE who wants it

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Tiamat, in 2004 there are only summer-olympics... in Athene indeed.. you must be very happy.... Netherlands will get no winterolympics.... from what hills do all those skiers have to ski?

Yes! Gold and World Record on 10 km speed skating for Uytdehaaghe, his 2nd WR and Gold Medal and he also has a silver one... silver was for dutch Gianni Romme. Tonight the last distance, 5 KM for women... Don't have that much chance but we have a dangerous outsider, she started speed skating only half a year before (though she already skated) and in her first race ever she had the best time of this season... Her name is Gretha Smit and I hope she will make the city tonight Salt Lake Smitty!

So... Ice-hockey gets a dream final. USA - Canada... will you all watch? After this final, the NHL cannot forbid some of their players to go to the Olympics... the most rediculous thing I ever heard.... Olympics is really about what country is the best....

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was looking at the olympics alot, feeling sad about Swedens poor performance everywhere but I looked forward to the hockey. And boy! It started good! But you all know how it ended :wail: :cry: :evil:

These olympics have been abysmal for every swede in the world. Not a single gold and Australia ahead in the medal league :(
    (btw that dude was lucky! I wish I had that kind of luck)

[This message has been edited by joacqin (edited February 23, 2002).]

15. Silverblade Guest

16. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I was actually pulling for a Canada-Russia final in hockey (harkening back to the old Canada-USSR match-ups). But, alas, the Russians seemed to have given up early :( Still, Canada-USA will be good on Sunday. 22 years to the day since the US last won gold, and 50 years to the day since Canada last won the gold. Nah, there's no pressure there :p

Go Canada!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.