1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

On Liberal Media Bias and Anti-Military Media

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, May 29, 2005.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just stumbled over that part on a conservative blog, and it was so refreshingly common sense, I had to post it.
    Yep. Please.

[ May 30, 2005, 01:35: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Dear lord, is that a somewhat intelligent blogger? I'd thought bloggers and thoughtfulness to be mutually exclusive.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The pentagon would lie because they really don't like the idea of people finding out that while yes, they did get the terrorist cell they wanted to bomb, theit munitions bunker took out the rest of the residential block. They have three choices:

1: Bomb the terrorists and risk civilian casualties because the terrorists hide among innocent citizens.

2: Try to spare innocent civilians but lose more soldiers as they get up close and personal to only take out the terrorists.

3: Ignore them and wait for the next attack like 9/11.

Which do they take?

4. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Option 4: Get the residents to help with the terrorists...

But hey...my glass is 3/4 full...

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Option 5: scorched earth (just like president Clark!)

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Oh Gnarff,
    you have such a sympathetic quaint and romantic vision of the U.S. government only and always exercising its power wisely.

Well, sometimers they just screw up, and want to keep it under wraps - that applies especially to the politicos. To cover their asses.

That is about accountability of an elected government, and one crucial issue.

Maybe you should try some of Tom Clancy's newer books, like the one where he writes for Anthony Zinni: 'They've Screwed Up'.

7. Gnarfflinger

My point is that there are cases where there are no right answers. This, on top of all the incompetence and corruption, really make you wonder why the Pentagon even says anything...

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Pentagon learned a long time ago it has to say something. They are typically bluntly honest with anything they say. There are times where giving specifics would put lives at risk and the military typically says just that. Something everyone should realize, politicians (such as the SECDEF) are not as forthcoming as the military commanders.

Read statements by the military commanders -- those statements are very direct and straightforward. But they also realize their jobs are on the line with every interview -- they'll answer honestly, but will defer politically charged issues because they simply don't want to be fired.

The initial statements about Tillman were correct based on what the commanders were told -- it was after investigating the incident a cover-up was found at the local level and the incident report was corrected. It would have been wrong of the military to put the corrected information out. Tillman was a patriot and deserved to be allowed to rest in peace.

Gnarf: 'incompetance and corruption' are harsh words. I have always said there are a few bad apples in any large organization. The vast majority of people in the military are VERY competent and have high moral standards. Attacking the entire organization for acts of a few is inappropriate and unfair.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Gnarf probably read the same article I did:

General Zinni is a well respected individual. He seems to share some of Gnarff's opinion of those in the Pentagon, and I see no reason why he would lie about those in the Pentagon.

10. Gnarfflinger

If there's one rotten potato in the bag, that's the one you're going to smell. It will, inturn, infect the other potatos in the bag. While the Pentagon may be more vigilant about this than others, these problems do exist.

A better reason for the Pentagon to keep quiet in front of the press.

And the Pentagon is the one on the line to do the will of the politicians and work around what is inconsistent...

They aren't there to make the decisions, they are there to enforce them.

Actually, I just respond to what I read here on SP. I get very little time for other research on the internet for the time being. This may change if we ever get broadband...

I base my opinion off human nature. Humans (even those at the Pentagon. I'm not addressing Aliens because that's way off topic.) are prone to a little greed and some screw ups. At the Pentagon, there is so much riding on everything, that one scandal or screw up is a major debacle...

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My statement is pretty much summed up by this quote from the article:

Zinni believes this was a war the generals didn’t want – but it was a war the civilians wanted.

We read the same article and get different opinions. Such is human nature. I see a military part of the pentagon that is forthright and honest. The political wing lacks a little in integrity (after all they are political appointees and typically have an agenda).

As far as 'keeping their mouth shut' the military learned a great lesson in Vietnam -- excluding the press is a bad thing. In WWII, Eisenhower took the press into his confidence and had a great relationship with the press. The press was brought in on some operations to help the allies and kept out on others to save troops lives. The press at the time knew Eisenhower and the military would be honest and open whenever possible.

In Vietnam, the level of secrecy and exclusion was unbearable. The press went to great lengths to find the information they should have already had -- and in the process divulged information that was harmful to our troops. For example, take a look at how US soldiers are viewed at home today versus during the Vietnam War. The press villified US troops in Vietnam, and the soldiers were showered with dog feces and called baby killers -- you don't see that today.

The civilians at the pentagon are certainly concerned with 'screw-ups' which will cost them their career. A few flag rank officers are the same way (Generals and Admirals). I've met maybe 15 flags, and every one would take the hit on their career to save lives.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Actually we agree on this point. Some of the generals, who are no longer under the control of the civilian leadership in the Pentagon have been able to speak out against the war and the poor planning that went into it. Nevertheless, those generals who are still under the control of the politicians, don't have the luxury of being so "forthright and honest." Loyalty has its price.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.