1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

On Rylock's Tail

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Lawless, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Large howls erupted over the spine of the world as an invading orc army led by a band of frost giants careered towards the habitat of the Ten Towns. The proud army of the towns marched to meet this so called “army” as it seemed more a disorganised mob. The army of the Ten Towns stopped roughly two miles outside the ten towns. The archers quickly readied their bows for firing. Waiting for Captain Galun Rylock’s command.

“Archers ready,” shouted Rylock. “Aim.”

The invading army was getting very close and the highly-disciplined army of the Ten Towns began to get nervous and there was slight commotion among the front ranks as they saw that they were out numbered 2 to 1 by orcs and there were 6 frost giants let by the immensely strong Joril Frostbeard.

“Fire” commanded Rylock. More than 100 arrows let loose and hurled through they air slaying roughly 80 orcs.

“Charge” was balled by Commander Erickson as he noticed the reminder of the army was getting close.

The orc’s feeble archers slew about 50 of the front rank swordsmen and spearmen. Then bang, the two armies met and the screams of dying orcs and men and the clashing of swords and shields could e heard. Rylock saw four orcs had broken the ranks and charged blindly towards him he loaded his bow and let loose slaying one. Then drew his dual scimitars and charged to meet them. They remaining three orcs surrounded him and then they attacked Rylock parried each one and then threw attacks of his own he slashed with his first scimitar and parried one of the orcs sword away he then slashed his remaining scimitar at the same orcs throat clearing the doomed orcs head clean off. He then without warning sliced upwards from the groin of the orc behind him and turned to the remaining orc and stared hard at him, the orc seeing he was no match for this fearsome opponent turned and fled Rylock sheathed both his scimitars and killed the fleeing orc with and arrow he then observed his surroundings seeing the conflict of the battle and looked for a new target he noticed a frost giant had charge from the band slaying many spearmen. Rylock quickly fired an arrow into the giant’s throat and the giant let out a cry, before being halted by another arrow fired into roof of his mouth and the giant fell backwards crushing about ten orcs and he lay dead. Victory was near as two more giants fell and half of the remaining army fled Joril and the other 3 frost giants bellowed a battle cry and charged towards the remainder of the ten towns army. Rylock bellowed the command to fire to all the remaining archers as well as firing himself. Two of the giants succumbed to the hail of arrows but Joril and his guard smashed head first into the army of the Ten Towns swordsmen and spearmen charged towards them but all but three were trampled to death the archers fired all of their remaining arrows at the guard slaying him quickly. Joril was completed outraged he swing his massive club over and over again throwing about 10 men with each stroke Erickson charged towards Joril and sliced half of Joril’s foot off but Joril kept on fighting, he smashed his club downwards crushing Erickson into a bloody pulp and impaling the remains of his body in the ground. Seeing this many of the army ran and fled but Rylock clambered up the back of the giant holding his clothes he then reached his neck and hacked at it with his scimitar after about three slashes his scimitar was lodged halfway through Joril’s neck. The massive giant stumbled and fell forwards crushing 15 spearmen. Rylock clambered to his feet and slashed the giants face to make sure he was dead. He was. Rylock retrieved his beloved scimitar and sheathed.

“Ha Ha!” He cried and the rest of the army cheered at the dead giant and the leftovers of his followers, fleeing.

The remains of the army of the ten towns turned and made their way back home.

After half a days march the army made it to Kuldahar where they were greeted by the Arch-Druid Sylenthier.

“I take it from your survival that you won” said Sylenthier. “Tell me where is Commander Erickson I wish to speak to him about the event”

“Alas,” replied Rylock. “He fell. He was slain by the mighty Joril Frostbeard son of Johnyn Frostbeard. I slew Joril with my own scimitar.” He produced the scimitar from its sheath and presented into the arch-druid.

“This news is most greivious indeed” said the arch-druid. “Captain Rylock meet me in my home in three hours. The rest of you can go home and get rest messengers will be sent if we have need of you. Farewell.”

With that the druid turned and headed towards his house and the army of the Ten Towns disbanded and made their back to their families. Rylock went to the ‘The Evening Shade Inn’ where he rented a room a slept for two hours before waking up and deciding to see the arch-druid early.

Rylock made his way towards the bottom of ‘The Great Oak’ to Sylenthier’s house. The guard at the door greeted Rylock and let him in without question. Rylock was greeted by the arch-druid.

“Welcome, Captain,” said Sylenthier. “You have come early I like that I can get onto different matters quickly as your account should finish early. Tell me, what happened at the battle, for I would much like to hear.”

Rylock gave the arch-druid his full account of what he saw and how Joril’s army fought and flew and how he saw his Commander crushed. He also gave a very detailed account of how he slew The Mighty Frostbeard with his beloved sword only being interrupted by the arch-druid’s occasionally “go on” or “good, good.”

“A very interesting battle it must have been,” said Sylenthier at the end. “What are your plans now.”

”I am gong to travel south to my home of Trademeet and I might visit my friends and Athkatla,” replied Rylock. “ Fare thee well, my dear friend.”

“Farewell and safe journey,” ended Sylenthier. The shook hands and Rylock left the building and went to the inn to gather his things. He then headed off towards the direction of Amn wearing his breastplate and a hooded cloak.

Rylock walked for one day before resting on the edge of a forest. Rylock dropped his things and went to gather some firewood. He came back to his camp and tried in vain to light a fire. He finally managed to light and turned over to get some sleep keeping his two swords close to him. Rylock was startled be a scream.

He stood up and picked up his bow unsure of what he heard. He then heard another scream of a woman and loud grunts. “Orcs,” he muttered. He stamped out his fire and ran in the direction of the screams wielding his two scimitars. He stood behind a tree looking round a tree and there was two large orcs standing over a young woman up. The woman seemed unconscious. One of the orcs kicked her their came a muffled scream form under her gag. Rylock grabbed his bow form his shouldered and fitted an arrow. Taking aim at one of the orcs the woman saw the hooded figure and screamed again the orcs turned round and saw a hooded figure pointing a bow at them. He let loose but the orcs dodged it and ran towards the figure. Rylock jumped to meet them with his dual scimitars. The orcs attacked first but Rylock parried every slash and thrust from the orcs swords he then went into a dance-like sort of attack cutting at the orcs arms and chest, He then took a mighty slash and sliced one of the orcs crude swords in half at this the orc steeped back but did not flee. Rylock parried one of the blows from the orc and killed him with a stroke across the chest. The remaining orc produced a bow and an arrow but Rylock was to fast and sliced the orcs bowstring before the arrow left it and produced the other scimitar at the orcs throat.

“I hate orcs,” said Rylock before slicing the orcs throat.

He wiped his scimitars clean and ran over to the woman. He shook her she didn’t move he checked her heart. She was dead. Tears ran down Rylock’s cheeks at not being able to save the woman. Rylock buried the woman and said his blessing. He then made his way back onto his original course.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Fairly good, if not a tad trite (no offense meant, just trying to be constructively critical here). There are grammatical errors, but the story on the whole seems suspenseful.

Welcome to the Boards. :)

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

thats pretty good lawless *Cough * *Ross* *cough* but talk about ripping off Drizzts style.

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

well i dont think Drizzt is the only one in Faerun who uses dual scimitars :)

5. Lawless Gems: 6/31

It's always good to have criticism it will help improve the story. I don't believe that im ripping off Drizzt, Midnight Falcon, *cough* David *cough*, there has to be more then one person using dual scimitars in faerun. Otherwise it would be pointless. ANYWAY here is the next bit.

*************************************************When Rylock reached the edge of the forest it was sunset he stood and watched it sink ever deeper into the horizon. He was mesmerised by it. If he was paying more attention he may have noticed a black figure on the horizon. Rylock looked at the figure after snapping out of the trance and blinked. It was gone. Rylock presumed it was a figment of his imagination. So he gathered up his things and continued towards Amn.

He travelled for a day and half, resting at night, and decided to stop at Luskan, ‘The City of Sails.’ He reached the gate and was greeted by a guard on top of the gate-house.

“Hold who goes there,” demanded the guard.

“I am a mere traveller,” replied Rylock

“What’s yer business in these parts?” asked the guard.

“I wished to stay at the inn before continuing my travels,” replied Rylock

“Fine, boy,” said the Guard. “It’s just me business to ask questions ye see. Hold on I’ll get the gate open.” Rylock heard the man bellow orders to his.

The gates creaked open.

“Thank you,” said Rylock to the Guard.

Rylock made his way through the city and came to an inn, called ‘The Silver Horn’ and entered. As he opened the door he was greeted by warm air, loud conversations and the smell of fresh ale in his a nostril. He walked over to the Barman, who was short, fat man with short black hair and a beard.

“Greetings, I be the owner of ‘The Silver Horn,’ said the Bartender. He spoke in a southern voice but was never the less friendly. “I be Bernard Buckfast, although just call me Bernard. What can we do make your stay pleasant. A drink. A room. Entertainment. Just name it.”

“I like a large ale and a room, friend,” replied Rylock.

“Aye, that’ll be 15, 16…eh… 20 gold pieces,” said Bernard. Rylock handed over he necessary coins. “Thanks, here is yer key up the stairs second on your left.”

“What entertainment is there,” asked Rylock.

“Well there’s the duel arena we have competitions sometimes, or when people what to settle a score,” replied Bernard. “And…eh…ahem…other sorts…of entertainment.”

“Like what,” asked Rylock.

“Well…eh companionship, He He,” replied Bernard. “Interested?”

“No thanks,” replied Rylock. He turned and walked over to an empty table near the large stone fire. Bernard began to wash the cups. A soon as Rylock sat down a burly dwarf came over.

“Ach, boy, what you doin in me chair,” said the Dwarf impatiently.

“There’s room enough for two at this table,” replied Rylock. “Here I’ll buy you a drink.”

“Ok, make it a large ale, but that’s still my chair, boy,” replied the Dwarf.

“But of course,” replied Rylock. He went up to fetch two ales 1 for him and 1 for the Dwarf.

“Ta,” said the dwarf when Rylock handed him ale, the dwarf was in ‘his’ chair. “What’s yer name?”

“I am Rylock from the Town Towns although original from Trademeet, who might you be?” asked Rylock.

“I be Torgan Firehammer, from Waterdeep, just Torgan will do,” replied Torgan. “Are you all on yer own, are ye?”

“Yes,” replied Rylock. “You appear on your own as well.”

“Aye I am,” replied Torgan. “I take you’re the fighting type, where ye goin.”

“Amn” replied Rylock.

“I be goin there as well, to help out the troubles of a small village called Tenither,” said Torgan. “Perhaps ye could come with me.”

“I’d like that,” replied Rylock.

“Aye, good, good, ye can help me,” said Torgan. “The village I be goin to is bein troubled by a Dragon, and I’ve been scouring the lands to help me deal with the b*stard. Plenty o’ gold to be had. He, he.”

“That sounds like a fine idea, let us drink up and have at least a good night’s rest, what do ye say?” asked Rylock.

“Fine, boy, fine.”

Both Rylock and his new companion had two more ales before going to there rooms.

Rylock’s room was quite small with room only for a bed and a small wardrobe against the left hand wall. He walked over to the window and looked out the street outside was quiet and there were only a few wandering drunks roaming about, laughing and singing. Rylock closed the curtains and got into his rather small bed considering his size. Rylock went to sleep and had a most peculiar dream.

Rylock was in a large hall with a table in the centre and two chairs at either end. On one end sat a large demon who was on a massive throne, obviously designed specifically for him. The demon was facing another person at the who was wearing a long brown robe and looked very old with a grey beard, Rylock recognised the man, it was Sylenthier, Arch Druid of Kulduhar.

“I, Illexecothal, demand to know why this Rylock still lives,” boomed the Demon.

“I do not know, master,” replied Sylenthier. “He is obviously much more powerful than we imagined. He should have been slain. Joril gave me his word he would not fail. The supposedly, ‘invasion’ of the Ten Towns failed to harm Rylock. You cannot blame me.”

“SILENCE, you pathetic mortal,” commanded Illexecothal. “I want this predecessor of Cyrus Galyn Balor terminated immediately. It was because of Cyrus my plans failed in the first place. Do not fail me Sylenthier or I’ll subject you to an eternity of pain. Understood?”

“Yes, master,” replied Sylenthier. “I’ve sent just the man to terminate him. I will not fail.”

“May all the Gods have mercy on you if you do,” and with that the mighty Demon disappeared with a blinding flash, leaving Sylnthier sweating and severely fatigued.

Rylock woke up with a start. He was sweating. Was it real? It seemed so real! He sat like this for a good hour thinking over the words of Sylenthier and the demon. He was also puzzled about the reality of the dream. Never the less he decided to be on his guard.

He got up out of his bed but his breastplate on and his belt with the two scimitars in their scabbards, he put his cloak on over this and he slung his quiver and bow over his shoulder. After he vacated the room Rylock locked and found his dwarven friend down stairs in the same chair talking to tall man with a white beard and grey hair, he seemed very old but wise, he wore a black robe with the hood down, he had a staff leaning against the table next to him. They two were in a deep conversation. The dwarf noticed Rylock and waved him over. Rylock nodded and handed his key to the barman.

“Enjoy yer stay, sir,” asked the Bartender.

“Yes thank you,” replied Rylock and he walked over to Torgan and the stranger.

“Ah, Rylock me friend,” said Torgan as Rylock sat down. “Allow me to introduce Jaylos. He has agreed to help us with the troubles of Tenither. He’s a wizard, Rylock.”

“Greetings, Rylock as Torgan said I’m Jaylos, originally from Athkatla, I was asked by this stout fellow to help you in the quest to slay a Dragon, very exciting,” Jaylos seemed anxious to get started on the quest but he also seemed apprehensive about something. “When do we leave?”

“Meet at the gates at noon” replied Rylock. “I want to explore this place for a while. So we have two hours. See you later.” Rylock walked out leaving the other two to talk about their plans.

Rylock walked down the street with his cloak looser than usually as he was on his guard because of that dream. He wanted some fresh supplies so asked a commoner for directions to the nearest shop. He got the directions and headed the right way. He turned down an alleyway and could see the street ahead of him. A man walked up to him and stop staring intently at him.

“You there, hic, out of my way,” said the Man.

“I mean you no harm I’ll move,” replied Rylock

“Not fast enough, hic,” the man produced a sword from a scabbard from his left side and he charged at Rylock with his sword in front of him ready to thrust into Rylock.

Rylock dodged it and parried the blade. The man was furious. He turned round and took a wild slash at Rylock. Again he easily parried it. Rylock had no intention of hurting his opponent because was obviously drunk.

“DIE, hic,” screamed the man he charged and slashed at Rylock. Rylock dodged the slash and hit the man over the head with the hilt of his sword leaving him unconscious.

Rylock left the man and made his way to the shop. When he reached and went inside. He was greeted by a halfling.

“Greetings, sir,” said the halfling. “Welcome to Jerle’s Shop. I am Jerle. What can I do to make your dreams come true? Weapons. Food supplies. Magical items. Scrolls. Potions.”

Rylock restocked on arrows and got some food supplies. He paid Jerle and left. Rylock started to head to the city gates. He met Torgan their and they had to wait for Jaylos, who ran into trouble with some bandits but disintegrated them all as he said and he also said he saved a young woman from them and they shared a wild hour of passion. Although Rylock suspected Jaylos turned and fled as soon as the appeared a threat as there was a quiver in his voice though Rylock said nothing.

“Are we all ready,” asked Rylock. Both Torgan and Jaylos nodded. “Good. Open the gates we are leaving.

The guard said a farewell to them before shutting the gate after they left. So, the party of three headed south towards the Land of Amn to help the village if they could. Rylock was still ever watchful of the surroundings which he saw and was always ready to draw his scimitars.

6. The Kilted Crusader

Well done, nice story. Its a shame ur so ugly. Keep going with it

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's interesting. Would make a nice Forgotten Realms book that'd be as good as Salvatore. And if you've read my comments on Salvatore, well, it means that I'd say that this story is already getting predictable. But that doesn't make it bad; it's your right to write stuff, after all. Just don't lash out too hard when I whine about fiction that's not perfect. :o :p

8. Lawless Gems: 6/31

I'm not so ugly as you midnight falcon. I don't care if it's getting predictable. That could all change.

The party of three rested that night beside a large forest as they hadn’t stopped all day so were quite tired. It was very windy and there was heavy rain. Torgan was using his flint to try to light a fire, he was having no success.

“Blasted thing,” shouted Torgan and he threw the flint to the side of him. “Stupid thing doesn’t work.”

“Allow me,” interrupted Jaylos and two short bolts of fire came from the end of his fingertips and the fire lit. He smiled at Torgan, who merely looked away and grumbled. “Pretty chilly eh Rylock.”

Just a…” Rylock stopped and drew an arrow.

“What is it, boy,” asked Torgan.

“Wait here,” replied Rylock, he drew a scimitar and walked into the trees. The other two were nervous.

“What do ye suppose it is,” asked Jaylos. Torgan shrugged.

Rylock crept though the forest silently trying to find the thing that alarmed him. Rylock looked for a good 30 minutes, before heading back. “It’s nothing,” shouted Rylock to the other two. There was no answer. Rylock hurried back to the fire.

He emerged from the opening and found Torgan unconscious and no sign of Jaylos. Torgan had bruises to his arms and a cut across the face. Rylock went up to him and shook him.

“Torgan, Torgan, get up,” said Rylock. The dwarf opened his eyes.

“Oh, Rylock am I glad to see…” the dwarf stopped and started coughing.” The took him Rylock. Three men with hoods, bandits I think and another I caught glance of him, but was probably their leader. They took us by surprise one knocked Jaylos out and I leaped up and grabbed me axe. Two came form behind I was winning’ until the other guy hit me round the head.”

“Which way did they go?” asked Rylock. Torgan pointed into the direction of the trees. “Wait here, I’ll have a quick look.” Torgan nodded and clutched his axe. Rylock went into the trees and reappeared a few minutes later.

“Any sign, boy?” Torgan asked, and he appeared to have recovered. Rylock shook his head. “We’ll have to help him.” Rylock nodded.

Torgan got up and the two gathered up there things and headed into the forest.

Meanwhile, quite close by, Jaylos woke up. He looked around him and saw he was in a forest clearing with a small fire in the centre, he tried to get up but he was tied to a tree. He then noticed another person tied to tree, an elven male who was badly beaten. He then noticed the three bandits who kidnapped him and two others. Standing beside them was a man in a brown robe.

“Where am I? Who are you?” said Jaylos weakly. He looked up at the robed figure.

“I am, Larocs, and you are my slave now so shut up, scum,” replied the robed man.

“What about our payment, sir,” asked one of the bandits.

“All in good time,” replied Larocs. Larocs walked over to the elf. “Wake up.”

The elf opened his eyes.

“What…what…what do you want?” asked the elf. Larocs struck the elf across the face.

“Address me as sir or master do want more torture, hmm is that what you wish?” asked Larocs.

“I am not your servant, you b*stard, get into your skull,” the elf spat at Larock.

“You think your funny, hmm? He, He,” asked Larock, slightly amused. “Let’s see how you like this.”

Larocs muttered an incantation word and pointed at the elf. The elf shook violently and screamed. Jaylos stared in horror. The elf screamed in agony as the bandits laughed and Larocs laughed sadistically.

“Stop! Stop!” screamed Jaylos. The five bandits and Larocs turned to him. “Leave him alone.”

“Do you want some, hmm?” asked Larocs. “How would yo…”

Larocs was cut sort as Torgan threw his axe at him and it took his head clean off. Rylock leapt out and drew his too scimitars and Torgan drew a second axe.

“Oh look at this boys,” one of the bandits said. “I remember you, dwarf. How’s your head. Sore I’ll bet.”

Torgan couldn’t take anymore he roared and charged and took on 3 of the bandits slaying one instantly. Rylock held off two. Each bandit drew a long sword. Rylock’s two opponents moved quickly slashing and thrusting (Rylock noticed they had little expertise in swordfights) Rylock parried each attack and held both their blades at the same time with his two scimitars so that the bandits couldn’t do much. Rylock let his right hand sword drop and he kicked the bandit to his right, who fell backwards into the fire and never got up. Rylock then focused his efforts on his second opponent. Torgan had already slain two of his opponents and was fighting the third. Torgan gave a massive slash with his axe and the bandit tried to block but Torgan smashed the sword in have with a single stroke. Torgan produced a dagger from his belt and thrust it straight into the heart of his opponent, a scream erupted and the bandit fell to the ground. Torgan then chopped Rylock’s last opponent in have from behind.

Rylock ran over to Jaylos and untied him. Torgan retrieved his axe from a tree as it kept going after slicing Larocs had off. Jaylos ran over to the elf and tried to wake him up. Meanwhile Torgan raided the bandit pockets for anything of value. Rylock looked at him.

“What,” asked Torgan. “It’s ours now.”

Jaylos cast a healing spell on the elf, but he remained unconscious. Rylock walked over and took his water flask and poured some over the elf who woke up.

“Hello, can you here me,” asked Rylock. The elf looked up at him. “Who are you?”

“I can here you fine,” said the elf. “I am called Elathan. Who might you be?”

“I am Rylock,” said Rylock. “This is Torgan Firehammer the Dwarf, and Jaylos the Wizard. Who I believe you’ve met already. Can you walk?”

“Yes I think so,” said Elathan. The elf stood up. “What brings you to this forest?”

“We rested outside the forest, elf, and three bandits knocked me out and kidnapped Jaylos,” the dwarf didn’t sound pleased about the elf.

“Calm down Torgan,” said Rylock. “Were heading to Amn. Jaylos and I are helping the dwarf with a quest to kill a dragon who is troubling a small village called Tenither. What are your plans? Perhaps you could come with us.”

“I have no plans. So I guess I’ll come”

“Wait, what skills do ye have, elf?” asked Torgan

“Listen dwarf, stop calling me elf,” demanded Elathan. “I can offer you plenty of skills.”

“Example”

“I need a weapon, moron” replied Elathan. The dwarf drew his axe

“Calm down the pair of you,” commanded Rylock. The dwarf and the elf stopped arguing. “We don’t this sort of argument. Torgan you invited Jaylos without consulting me. No offence, Jaylos. So I get invite Elathan.”

The dwarf grumbled an “OK”

“Excellent,” said Elathan. The elf walked over to Larocs and retrieved his armour (Elven chain mail and a crossbow with bolts, and a short sword. He retrieved a cloak and a belt also. “Let us be off.”

With their newfound companion the party set off into the direction of Amn.

The party travelled for six days without interruption, only resting at night, before they reached the city gates of Athkatla on the seventh morning.

“Halt,” shouted a guard standing on the outside of the gate. “Who goes there and what business do you need in the city of coin?”

“We are a band of adventurers wishing to stay in the city dear sir,” replied Rylock.

“Ok, ok hold on,” the guard signalled to another guard on top of a gatehouse and the party of four made their way into the city.

9. The Kilted Crusader

well done lawless (and don't give me that, you've got the face of a mashed up potatoe)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.