1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

One Word

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gaear, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    This was brought to mind by the new mood settings thing here at SP. It may seem silly, but if you try it you may find it to be an interesting exercise ...

Can you condense your life, or your existence, or whatever you wish to call the 'bottom line' about you into one word? I found that I was able to. It requires some personal honesty (not to mention some idle time to sit there pondering it), but if you try hard enough and strip away all the usual clutchings and trappings, I think it can be done. It can also be pretty revealing.

If you can do it and you care to share, state what your word is. I would guess that the word would likely be an adjective, but it may be easier if you try not to limit it in that way. Also, if you want to be clever and put "hung" or whatever, we will all laugh and think you are clever, but this is moreso meant to be serious - not so much because it is 'serious forum business' (and belongs in AoDA, ha-ha), but because as a personal exercise it can be useful and meaningful.

So what is your word? Explain it if you like, or just let it sit there and allow everyone else to conjecture as to the why.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Grrr!

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tranquil

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Searching

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sex :p

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Tired :shake:

Interesting the Gaear didn't post a word :p

7. Ben Snow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Changing.

I'm going back to school in about a month. Gonna finally grow up and get a career.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    *sigh*

(I think I win, interjections aren't even proper words!)

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

broken

I want to point out that my recollection of the rules of the forum state that one word responses are verboten. Way to go, Gaear, inciting us to break rules ;) You're a rabble rouser!

10. Gaear

Media:
    Okay, I'm going to go all Dr. Phil here and tell you what my take on you all is (and smugly break the one word rule in the process) ... :D

Marceror, you seem like a much more steady-as-she-goes type guy than irritated with the world type. What are you hiding?!?

Dr. Phil on Marceror: indulgent benefactor

Hm, like Marceror I 'hear' different in your words ... not exactly un-tranquil, but passionate enough about some things to be sort of an on-the-muscle guy in a way.

Dr. Phil On Blades: true blue man of conviction

Guess I don't know Morgoth well enough to say whether this is a LIE! or not, but if your life is best defined as having been "searching" the whole time, you must be more tired than 8. ;)

Dr. Phil on Morgoth: insufficient data

Despite the smiley, somehow I believe this. Sex is, after all, at the heart of basically everything.

Dr. Phil on T2: resolute sex fiend

This I believe ... everything I've read from 8 says "tired." I don't mean that in a bad way, just being honest. Props to you for being honest and direct too ... assuming you're not just jerking my chain :)

Dr. Phil on 8: weary protagonist (who is smarter than almost everybody)

This sounds more like a phase.

Dr. Phil on Ben: insufficient data

This one's legit too, as odd as that might sound.

Dr. Phil on Tal: sufferer of fools

To be honest, I wasn't too pleased with what I came up with, so I didn't want to share. I prefer to keep the microscope on you people! ;)

(Also, did you just call me 'The' Gaear? Neat, I must be "kind of a big deal" ... ;) )

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tomorrow.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gaear,

All I ever wanted was a good job with a steady income, a loving wife and healthy kids who know I love them. I now have it. I bark a bit online, but I don't bite. Most of my barking is for show. Basically, I amuse myself doing it to be perfectly honest. But when it comes down to it, I am relatively happy with my life. Tranquil is definitely how I feel at home and home is where it counts.

13. Gaear

Media:
    I have mixed feelings about this. The LKD of six months ago was a different beast than the one we have today, which does concern me a little. But then I can say with some degree of certainty that people who describe this way are usually in some sort of transitional phase and not permanently as described. It just feels that way.

Dr. Phil on LKD 6 months ago: jubilent sunbeam ;)
    Dr. Phil on LKD today: dark-night-of-the-soul type guy for the time being

Has a nice ring to it.

Dr. Phil on Merlanni: mystery man

No no. (Here is where I presume to suggest that I actually know more about you than you do) ... Ahem! Here goes ...

Actually no, I'm just bullsh*tting. That all sounds fine to me. I believe you. :thumb:

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think I was typing "that" when "the" came out, lol, probably due to my habit of double checking names before I type them as I swat at people enough who play around with mind :lol:

Hope I don't come across too tired. Hopefully things will pick up soon, but generally looking back it's been one haul after another for one reason or another. Still, makes things interesting I guess!

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Gaear,

Well 'searching' since I grew up intellectually, but I take some hours of every day to nap. And then there are energy cans of course :p

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fractal

17. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gaear, anytime someone puts "the" in front of your name you have moved beyond being a mere person, and become a personification of yourself. The Oprah is a perfect example. She's transcended to something... bigger, greater, more important. She can get paid millions of dollars by Sirius just for the honor of using her name. Apparently you have transcended too, at least, in 8's eyes. :p

As far as my word... you are quite astute. Grrr! isn't really who I am, but it's been my close companion for close to 2 years. It's the result of being perpetually overworked and under rested... which has been the case for me since late 2009. You can't help but develop a certain aggressive edge when everything you do is labeled urgent, critical or otherwise will result in the sky falling if not accomplished (or at least, I can't). The grrrs are like my own personal therapy... to calm me down enough to at least appear like the steady as she goes type that I really am. It's a little complicated I guess... more easily explained over a beer than on a message board... but grrr gets me through the day these days... keeps me in balance, sort of.

18. Gaear

Media:
    I don't suppose there's any such thing as "too" anything; it just is what it is. :heh:

I can't figure Splunge out, so I'm not even going to try. ;)

Dr. Phil on Splunge: [tilts head and looks at you sideways like a confused dog]

If only she hadn't just told me it was all a mistake ... :cry:

LIES! (j/k)

Hey, I just noticed something ... a second supposed 'error.' I think 8 is trying to send us a coded message: the ... mind ... ?

Go on ... !?

19. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] It means I've come off some rediculous medication again and am still fighting to get along with the english language :p

In short;

Also I think Splunge is saying he's a broccoli. Possibly Romanesco.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's no such rule. We just curbed them years back when we had many but at this point it's not really an issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.