1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oriental Adventures

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lady of the Lake, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Lady of the Lake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am interested in some material that will give detailed info on the land of Kara-Tur. Now, I know the 'Oriental Adventures 3E' reference book will be released soon but I'm not sure it offers so much background. I want sth like the FR Campaign Setting that gives me geography, pantheon and cultural information. Does any of you know if there's such a thing? Or if anyone has the new 'OA' book could they tell me if it includes what I want?
    Thanks.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] According to what I've read the new OA book will have an extensive background section on Kara-Tur just like the FRCS book did. If you wnat info before the release (in about a month) you could always use 2E material for background and non-rules information.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In about a month? I saw the book today actually. Maybe we're talking about another book on the subject though. The one I saw seemed to be a version of the DMG, PHB, and Monster Manual all rolled into one book about the size of the PHB. It had the new races, classes, feats, weapons, spells, creatures, pretige classes, and the like. I don't remember that much on it since I was just glancing through that and the Manual of the Planes, but I don't remember anything on Kar-Tur itself. But I'm sure it had to have that stuff included. I know the manual of the planes had plenty of information on the areas of the planes themselves (but I was disapointed at the depth they went into on some of the places. (1 1/2 pages on the Abyssal Plane? Surely they could have included more that that.) Anyway, it was interesting, and I think anyone who enjoyes the eastern setting will have to pick up this book. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with other 3rd edtion offerings, but likely it will have to do.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited October 09, 2001).]

4. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

From what I've heard, Kara-Tur is mentioned only briefly. Rokugan is the core oriental campaign setting, probably somewhere on Oerth.

5. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Lots of FREE (2nd edition) Kara Tur stuff for downloading on the WotC site, wizards.com. Background, maps, histories etc etc

6. Lady of the Lake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Thanks. I've already checked the Wizards' site and got some stuff but I'd like something according to 3E. I guess I'll just buy the book and check it out.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Crawl, I suppose that's the right book. But Lady of the Lake has an e-mail adres with Extension .GR, and that is Greece. I don't think the book is already for sale in Europe for I've in the store yesterday and didn't see the OE book already. But what I heard about it is that it is indeed almost the same as the FR Campaign Settings and it also contains much geography,information about races and classes in that part of the world, how they act, what religions are common, what weapons, additional enemies, etc.

So indeed I would avice you to buy the book, it will be very useful and also handy and reducing the time the DM needs for the campaign.

8. void Guest

I saw it 2 weeks ago here in Australia but I didn't have time to look through it. The writing in it was a pretty annoying font though...

Cheers, Void.

[This message has been edited by void (edited November 12, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.