1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oriental Adventuring

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by DarkStrider, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

[​IMG] I’m thinking of creating a new RP with a couple of differences.

1. The setting is going to be in the Orient (essentially feudal China, Japan and Korea) this of course imposes some limitations on the RP mainly that Samurai are bound to their Daimyo (Lord) and will be doing missions for him. Ninja and Geisha (including Geisha-Ninja) will work for their employer or their School. Villagers will have some understanding of Kara-Te or Akajitsu. Monks wandering around will be of the Shaolin type mystical warriors.

2. It will be 3e rules essentially based on Oriental Adventures Sourcebook by James Wyatt, with the odd tweak her or there.

3. In an unusual twist I will only be playing the GM and NPC’s in this RP as if this works right, I anticipate it being a multi-threaded RP with the threads not necessarily merging. For example there may be one or more groups of Samurai working for differenet Daimyos, Ninjas most likely working alone for employers or their schools, Geisha-Ninjas wandering around doing different things. Monk wandering around being monks and being arbitrators etc. Regional problems with the usual plethora of enemies, demons, vampires and of course good, bad and whimsical dragons.

4. There will be other races to play as well, those described in the Source book as well as the Gaijin/Iteki races and the Huang-mao(sp?) races. For instance Chin leaders who want to invade the land of the Samurai. Han leaders who want to invade Chin and Samuari lands. Mongol type peoples who want to pillage everything. Exploring pillagers (Viking type peoples) who may try to develop a foothold

Before I start work on such an ambitious piece of RP I need to know if anybody is interested, their thoughts, my mistakes (I’m not an expert on this despite being fascinated by it). Do people think it will work on such a wide scale or should I tighten its boundaries further. To create the landscape will take time and I don’t want to waste my time or anyone else’s if it’s going to be a non-starter

PLEASE YOUR INPUT IS APPRECIATED AND REQUIRED. Thank you

DarkStrider

[ April 24, 2006, 18:49: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Sure, why not. Put me down for a Samurai

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ninja, female. But half what your saying is greek to me. :)

I played Prince of Qin if that helps any.

4. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Please sign me up, I'm all for Oriental settings.
    I will be buying the book as well, so if you need help let me know.

As per the class and race, I'll get back to you on that.

5. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I'd love an Oriental setting! (considering that I AM Oriental to begin with ^^)

Its too bad the Oriental Adventures book covers only Rokugan (Japanese setting) only tho.

6. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Sign me up for one of the nomand like villagers. I got a cool idea.

Also I understood half of what you said, I don't have the book so you might have to explain a little bit.

7. DarkStrider

If you have questions or don't understand something ask, I'll be happy to answer :)

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Oh Please oh Please! Me me! I don't have the book either so you might have to explain a little more. So If I want to be like « The Nameless » in Hero, is he some kind of Shaoling Monk?

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I will need stats for my character since at the moment I have no way of getting them. Unless you have a link I can use. Female ninja. Don't know what a geisha-ninja is.

10. DarkStrider

Yes ofelix he is, Geisha-Ninja was a Geisha who was an assassin as well.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

You know, I'd thought I wouldn't participate in this one, but then I remembered my Wu-Jen without a name. (For names have power... :mommy: ) I'd be most willing to join, but I'll keep to 2e stats if you don't mind. ;)

12. DarkStrider

that's fine Fel

13. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I'd be happy to join, it'd be my first forray into online RP so you'd have to look after me...and I'd need help with character stuff...so PM me if anyone would be willing to help :)

14. DarkStrider

Ok I'll put stuff up as I create it

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Looks like good fun, unfortunately I have virtually no knowledge of DnD rules at all so I'll be giving it a pass. Good luck with it though!

16. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I have the book and I'm interested..

Were it a Rokugan campagin I would have liked to play a Snake clan Shujenga.
    But can I get a Blade Dancer with a Fighter/Wu-Jen base instead?

17. DarkStrider

If you want to play Snake clan you're welcome to, remind which is a Blade Dancer?

18. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    No its cool, since no one else will be from the Rokugan clans I'll go with the Blade dancer.

Blade Dancer is a prestige class covered in the Oriental Adventures book. They are basically acrobatic fighter mages(wu-jen) and can enchant their blades in various ways.

19. DarkStrider

That's fine I'm adding 3 prestige classes as well Black Flame Zealot, Sacred Fist and War Priest from ther Complete Divine

20. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm, I'm beginning to think I'm way out of my depth here...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.