1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Overheating

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Sydax, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Few posts back, I asked things related to the BIOS setup; searching in the Compaq website I got an update for this specific computer so I used the winflash utility; what happened then was that everytime I restart the computer, it turns it off then start againg, I mean, the hard disk stops for one second and then starts again; not the typical restart that doesn't stops anything but just starting again. (I hope I explained well)
    I remember that before the update, when I played a game, computer got hot so fans started to run faster and all of that, now, it gets hot and when the fan (just one, no the 3 of them like before) starts to run faster and the system slows really hard, even if I am playing freecell (no graphic demmanding). Not even the help support on Compaq website could tell me anything to help me, so here I am, without not knowing what to do; I just whish I could go back to the previous version of the BIOS but I don't even remember what version was, worst even, the help tech guy told me to download some other BIOS versions and when I tried to install them I couldn't because they gave me errors messages telling me that they weren't for my computer.
    Does anybody know what can I do?
    Thanks.
    Best regards.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is a Compaq issue. First, is the machine still under the manufacturer's warranty? If so, then you should get a replacement. If not then, the next step is to keep trying tech support until you find a tech who knows something about the issue. The quality of tech support can vary greatly. But it sounds as if the BIOS itself is not working correctly. You might try reflashing the same BIOS update again, if that's possible. The reset and the heat problems may or may not be realted.

If all else fails, try tacking down the source of the heat. It might just be the onboard graphics. If your budget allows, find an inexpensive card and turn off the onboard graphics. If the problem continues, it may be the chipset, or the processor. Either would be a real problem.

[ July 02, 2005, 00:29: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    A lot of times a company, like Compaq, will have onboard graphics, but won't put any active cooling on the North Bridge chip. The passive cooling heatsink on them are usually crap too.

A BIOS update might have pushed an already hot NB chip over the edge. So try updating the BIOS again, or reverting back to an older version. :rolling:

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Believe me, I tried lot of changes (read 'updates') on the BIOS, but I couldn't revert it back nor update, the tech support guy (all of them: 9) gave me some newer (and older) versions but always I got the 'you BIOS is not flasheable' message; I told them that they provided me the first upgrade that caused all this and they just told me that it was just an error.
    I think that I just have to deal with this untill I can buy a new 'real' computer.
    Thank you guys.
    Best regards.

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's not even funny. Such a grotesque waste of fans...

The perfect computer setup requires only 3 fans to keep it nice and cool. One inside the power supply, blowing out; one mounted in the front, blowing in; and one 120mm fan cooling the radiator for the liquid cooling system. :rolling:

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ask yourself the following questions:

1) Am I absolutely certain that this is the right BIOS?
    2) Is there a self-extracting package?
    3) Is Compaq using some special, Compaq-only BIOS versions?
    4) Are the fans working? (-> Open case, turn on the power, see if they work. Turn it off and be careful with it; big voltages there.)
    5) BIOS settings; are they correct? (Voltage, ampers, MHz, etc. Compaq might use non-default settings.)

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Where is the computer located? Maybe the location has something to do with overheating.

9. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It can also have a LOT to do with dust buildup. Clean your computer out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.