1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Palin and Paul Revere

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I cannot believe no one has posted a comment on this yet. This is yet another example of the axiom that appears to apply to Palin all too frequently: Better to let people think you're an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt.

She was in Massachusetts over the weekend on her tour/vacation/something, and one of the things she did was to go to some site that commemorated the ride of the Revolutionary War here, Paul Revere. Since she was just there, a reported asked her what she took away from that experience, and who Paul Revere was. She said:

Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.

She later said she didn't get the story wrong, and it was a typical "gotcha" question. (Yes - asking about something you saw less than an hour previously is trying to be tricky.)

Full story.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess no one's posted on it because it's hardly surprising at this point. This incident is typical of Palin and the type of fans she tends to attract: no matter how ignorant or spiteful she comes across as, nothing is her fault, she's always the victim, and the media "won't let her" succeed. It's a political identity built on resentment and faux-patriotism. Everything is a "gotcha" question to her. Somehow she says the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life and it's everyone else's problem if they don't "get it." And she's tied for frontrunner.

Some of her more eager fans actually went on Wikipedia to change Paul Revere's entry to reflect her absurd historical revisionism. That alone speaks volumes.

I'm tired of having to pretend that her supporters are smart, patriotic citizens worthy of respect. She's a national embarrassment, and they're reckless fools.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yep.

I was wrong about how this would turn out. When Sarah and her Tea Potter cohorts first emerged I believed that they would be absored into the old Republican establishment. Instead, they have pretty much wreaked the Republican Party, at least the old version of it. There's almost nothing left of it, except maybe Mitt Romney and McCain. Even Mac had to crossover to satisfy this bunch. There's still Huntsman of course, but he'll get his turn at being savaged by Team Palin.

This is probably the definitive book on Paul Revere, at least that I have read. Great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307545542&sr=1-1

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Come on ... she was a journalism major ... why confuse the issue with facts....

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just another SP gaffe. Nothing to see here folks. I just feel good that she's out there "educating" people on our US history... and making it up as she goes.

That said, if she's ultimately elected President, I may have to renounce my US citizenship and move to Europe.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey! You stop insulting this forum right this minute! SP if short for Sorcerer's Place only... Let's just call her "doorknob" instead!:D

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I had thought Palin got her degree in communications, or broadcasting. At my college commuications and journalsim were both housed in the same building, although the TV station [PBS] was in a different area. But she may have been some type of "journalism" major. Regardless, she must have slept through her history classes, if she had any.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Palin's degree is in sports journalism. Let's not confuse it with actual journalism, something she seems to simultaneously reflexively deride and know nothing about.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well that explains that. Palin's major problem, for someone who "knows American history," is that most everyone was British that Paul Revere was warning. In 1775 there was no United States of America, with but mostly English subjects living in Boston. Maybe she should drop the vacation and take some more classes.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

OK, educate the Canadian: It has always been my understanding that Revere warned the colonists / rebels that the British soldiers were coming. I recall something about a code "one if by land, two if by sea", which was supposed to indicate the direction from which the aforementioned British soldiers would be approaching . Based on his delivery of this warning / message, which i believe was done at night, the rebels / colonists / whatever you want to call themselves armed themselves and fought the British soldiers. Do I have the general idea correct here?

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    They were all British subjects at that time. They were not yet even in the state of open rebellion, not until the Redcoats showed up at Lexington. That is where Revere actually rode, as one of the messengers sent by Dr. Warren, later killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill, to warn Sam Adams that the Redcoats, or Regulars, were on the march to arrest him and John Hancock. There was a different messenger in Boston at the Old North Church, who gave the signal that the Redcoats had landed by sea.

At Lexington, a few local militia were milling about on the town green when the Redcoats marched into town. They were ordered to leave by the Redcoats and the locals started to disperse when a shot went off. The Redcoats returned fire into the militia and the rest is history. But no one knows for certain, who, or which side, fired that first shot.

It was the poet Longfellow who created the mythical narrative of "Paul Revere's Midnight Ride." which some people believe to be real history.

Sarah's "history lesson:"

[​IMG]

http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=254178&eref=sharethisUrl

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :( I was a baaaaad panda.

@LKD - the famous quote that the "British are coming" is actually a misquote. I believe what was actually said was that the "regulars are coming" referring to the British regular army.

As has already been mentioned, basically all colonists at this point considered themselves to be British.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I wonder if her poll numbers will go down after that... and for how long.

14. Marceror

Media:
    I doubt it. Her adoring crowd apparently doesn't care much about the accuracy of her information, or how well informed of an individual she is. They appear to be enamored with the idea of Sarah Palin and what she "represents." This is pretty scary, to be honest.

I mean, if people are still taking her seriously after the Katie Couric interview she did during her VP campaign, then I truly doubt that she can do any wrong in their eyes.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

As a side note, it's not that I have an issue with her political views, necessarily. Take the same political views and combine them with an exceptionally bright, gifted, and experienced politician and I might be a fan.

She just doesn't remotely qualify for the position she's pursuing. The fact that she's doing as well as she is troubling indeed. If you thought GWB was bad, hold on to your hats folks. You aint seen nothin' yet!

15. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I doubt it. HIS adoring crowd apparently doesn't care much about the accuracy of HIS information, or how well informed of an individual HE is. They appear to be enamored with the idea of Barack Obama and what HE "represents." This is pretty scary, to be honest.

See what I did there? It all sounds really familar actually.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

No, not really. Just changing a pronoun in a sentence is not enough to make a point. Care to elaborate how Obama has actually been inaccurate or misinformed in a comparable way?

Personally I think the republicans have their chances hanging on the economy and I have very difficult time seeing anyone but Romney able to challenge Obama in that regard, at least from the mainstream candidates. Palin has done next to nothing to prove that she knows anything about economics. Of course considering that economists are generally about as reliable as a monkey throwing darts that might actually not be a bad thing, and this coming from an economist. ;)

Death Rabbit likes this.
  17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Not really. How about an "Obama history lesson" as an example?

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

And just what has Obama completely missed the mark on?

19. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ok, lets just list some of his more memorable mispeaks.

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"It was interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of, I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing."

"Of the many responsibilities granted to a president by our Constitution, few are more serious or more consequential than selecting a Supreme Court justice. The members of our highest court are granted life tenure, often serving long after the presidents who appointed them. And they are charged with the vital task of applying principles put to paper more than 20 centuries ago to some of the most difficult questions of our time."

"I bowled a 129. It's like - it was like the Special Olympics, or something."

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system."

"What they'll say is, 'Well it costs too much money,' but you know what? It would cost, about. It it it would cost about the same as what we would spend. It. Over the course of 10 years it would cost what it would costs us. (nervous laugh) All right. Okay. We're going to. It. It would cost us about the same as it would cost for about hold on one second. I can't hear myself. But I'm glad you're fired up, though. I'm glad."

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes, and I see many of them in the audience here today."

"I've now been in 57 states I think I have one left to go."

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's."

When he was trying to say the fourth of may & kept saying "cinco de quatro" not once but like 3 times!

The man can't form a cohesive sentence without a teleprompter & screws up plenty even with one.

He said that the usa is producing more oil than ever before.
    As this graph shows http://petroleuminsights.blogspot.com/2011/04/us-crude-oil-production-1970-1980-1990.html, he is wrong as usual

“They wanted more agents on the border. Well, we now have more boots on the ground on the southwest border than at any time in our history. The Border Patrol has 20,000 agents – more than twice as many as there were in 2004, a build up that began under President Bush and that we have continued. They wanted a fence. Well, that fence is now basically complete.”

The DHS states that only 36.3 miles of the 700 mile fence is done, so how is that "basically complete"?

God, he has said so many you could go on for days:)

I just love the new stickers “If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you’re not a racist, you’ll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you’re not an idiot.”

It just amuses me when certain people attack others for the same things that their wonderful obama does so much more often.

Oh, as a 52yr old black southern gentleman, obama's about as black as vanila ice.

T2Bruno likes this.
  20. Marceror

Media:
    EVERY president is going to say some stupid things. EVERY SINGLE ONE. They're people, and they're put on the spot all the time, while they're exhausted from the stresses of running the Free World.
    How does that situation compare to Sarah Palin? If she's this bad, and this uninformed now, how in the hell is she going to cope with the running the country? Obama is pushed to his absolute limit right now. Palin is not.

The reality is, Obama is in an absolutely different stratosphere than Palin. And this isn't a rebublican vs. democrat thing, because I don't cast my lot in with either. McCain is a hell of a lot smarter than Palin, and might have made a good President.

Palin on the other hand, did you see the way her stupidity fueled Saturday Night Live week after week after week? Did you notice how Obama wasn't ridiculed during the same election season, with as much if not more opportunity than Palin to act the fool? How you can even compare Obama to her is beyond my understanding, and frankly, is laughable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.