1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Panorama: Scientology

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dalveen, May 15, 2007.

1. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Im afraid i cant provide a (legal) link to this episode of the BBC program Panorama. But to the Brits out there who watched it. What did you think? Was the reporting Biased as the Scientologist claimed, or were they entirley out of line with the way they handled the Panorama team?

Personally i think the report ended up biased as the Scientologists forced it that way with all their interfering with interviews, and the stalking of the film crew. Its such a shame that they runed a perfectly good report on their "religion" by proving to everyone just why they are hated by many.

2. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To be honest, that program just affirmed what I already knew about Scientology. I doubt there was any intentional bias, since Panorama is run by the BBC, but the fact that the Church kept on interfering with the investigation and were generally uncooperative meant that the investigation ended up looking a bit lop-sided. Although the Scientologists got what they wanted out of it: more ammo in their war against their critics. When Sweeney blew his top they won.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I didn't know how silly Scientology is until I saw the South Park episode about them :shake: Through South Park I also learned about the Mormons :D

4. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

it is available on youtube
    and you are right, these guys are creepy

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I haven't seen it - but it's hard to honestly portray Scientology in anything but a bad light...

6. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Yup. In my view they are a business enterprise posing as a religion, probably because of the tax benefits. And that doesn't even take into account their authoritarian leanings toward dealing with (ex-)members - or film crews, or how persuasive their doctrine is.

Haven't seen the program, but I think it's naive to just say that they are inept at PR to allow themselves be pictured badly on BBC. That's probably how they are, not only how they haplessly present themselves.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I didn't see the program in question but the "church"(*) of Scientology have always been masters of applied psychology so it is no surprise if they know exactly how to sabotage an unbiased program in their own favor, while "proving" that it is biased the other way.

I remember seeing another program on Scientology some years back (at least 10-15 years ago). There was an organization in the US that used to advice relatives of Scientologists - they had a call center where the relatives could call and ask what to do when a family member had joined Scientology and cut off contact with his or her family. Scientology had haressed the organization with lawsuits, losing most but still ruining the organization, and they bought up the call center. When relatives called what they thought was a non-profit organization, they still got to speak to a "concerned" person at the other end. What they didn't know was that they were talking to a Scientologist posing as an advisor.

Scientology used to offer free "personality tests" here in Denmark. Two journalists took the test, gave different answers, and received the same result: "You have great possibilities - immense possibilities. You just need self-confidence. Quite accidentally, we are right now offering a course that can give you self-confidence..."

IMO, Scientology is an elaborate hoax aimed at lining the pockets of L. Ron Hubbard's heirs.

(*) They became a church for the tax exemption in the US but are now applying for recognition as an official religion throughout the EU, whereever that will entitle them to government money.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Tom Cruise and John Travolta like to rail and wail how evil Germany discriminates Scientology. Why that is so is easy to see: German law requires that they embrace a simple constitutional requirement that we call the 'Freiheitlich-Demokratische Grundordnung', the constitutional principles of individual liberty and democracy*. Thus far they don't.

It's that easy. The guardians of our constitution usually note first that they are geared toward profit generation before they go to the key issue - Scientology's anti-democratic orientation: Their teachings stress the unchangeable rules of the founder, Hubbard. Namely the goal of an ideal society that consists of 'cleared' individuals only, or where only 'cleared' individuals hold citizen rights (so-called 'OT-Civilisation'). That cannot be reconciled with constitutional principles like separation of church and state, freedom of faith or equality before the law.

Scientology displays clear authoritarian tendencies and disregard for individual freedom. Among other things members are required to ask iirc three Scientology functionaries to permittance when they want to go to a doctor. The severe 'ethical condition of treason' is the consequence of high crimes such as shortening the time for auditing for reasons of either saving time or money or acting in any way that restricts spread and use of the teachings of 'Dianetics' - like speaking out critically.

Add to that their demonisation of psychiatrists (anyone remembers Tom Cruise railing against psychiatric medication on tv?), the sort-of logical address for a psychologically ****ed-up ex-member of an exploitative dependency cult to look for help.

I'll spare you the stuff about aliens in Hubbart's teachings.

What the film-crew experiences was probably Scientology's Office of Special Affairs (OSA) at work. OSA engage in campaigns against critics - and traitors, ex-members. Talk about stalking. Scary stuff.

* Several Islamist organisations fail that test, too.

[ May 18, 2007, 22:58: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

9. Fluff-n-Oncense Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have seen the Panorama documentory and I am amazed that the Scientologists allow their representatives to be so stupid. They were very clearly attempting to stop the documentary - no doubt about that. Their tactics consisted mainly of smart-arse interuptions which are very visible to any educated audience. The whole attempt to derail the documentary totally backfired on Scientology itself - including the scene where the reporter joined the main antagonist in a shouting match.

People are not stupid, they can see this for what it really is - a very poor attempt to force their own opinion on the BBC and to stop the BBC from 'finding anything out'.

If Scientology is really so great - where are their speakers? Where are the representatives that reflect well on their church? This episode did huge damage to their cause.

... and I still don't know much about it ... pity.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.