1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aikanaro, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This seems to have been out for quite a while in other countries, but only just came out here. At any rate, it's easily one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Think a mix between Labyrinth and Schindler's List and you somewhat near what it's like. Definately part of the 'fairy tales for adults' genre.

All I can say is: go and see it. If the fact that it's in Spanish dissuades you at all, well, you basically don't notice that you're reading subtitles after a while.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I saw it. It was very interesting but sometimes overly brutal in my opinion. I can't say that I really liked it in the normal way you like a movie, but I definitely thought it was worth seeing.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Seen it last week. I liked it, especially how they switched between the 'real' and the 'fantasy' aspects of the story.

The hand-eye monster was the creepiest yet coolest thing I've ever seen :D

Edit: RAAAAAARGH :D

(http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/panslabyrinthint1.jpg)

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

It was very brutal, but I think it benefited from it. It didn't show watered down Hollywood violence but rather something that felt more like the real thing. It was disturbing in the way that violence should be, rather than an excuse for the hero to look awesome like in far too many violent movies.

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just saw this film last night. And I'm glad I heeded your suggestions. Great film. I have to say that it was brutal, it's kind'a chilling watching people get shot at point blank range. The scene with Captain Vidal attending to his mouth reminds me a lot of Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman.

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I watched it last night. It was spooky. I did not like the Faun or the Hand Guy. Even the fairies were a little spooky. Vidal was a harsh bastard. The ending was interesting, and overall I enjoyed it.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fantastic movie to say the least. Very interesting exploration in the differences between good and evil. The ending is kind of sad yet uplifting at the same time.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have to wait until the end of the month, and so far, its only being played in small indie cinemas.

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    This movie left me with a chunk of lead in my stomach. At the same time I know I watched an amazing piece of cinematography.

I think after several days or weeks I'll really be able to sit down and think about it but for now I'm a little bit stunned. Brutal and beautiful are my words for now.

10. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I really enjoyed this movie as well. Some things I thought were especially well done:

1. As others have mentioned, the violence was extreme, but realistic in a way that made the background story seem more real. This helped set off the realistic elements from the fantasy elements. The violence was less gory than a typical, sensational hollywood scene, but never the less more powerful. I was left sick to you stomach because people commit acts like these all over the world every day.

2. I really liked how the story is ambiguous till the very end. A girl with an overactive imagination or a true fairy tale? How you choose to interpret the story can teach you a little bit about youself and how you view the world. Even the true natur/goal of the faun is somewhat ambiguous.

3. The cinematography was fantastic. The dark, dreary lighting set the tone for the plight of the repressed locals and the brutal, realistic portrait of conflict. Contrast this with the bright, brillant colors in several of the fantasy scenes.

4. The scene with the eyeless creature should be required viewing in film school as an example of how to use subtlety effectively. Honestly, how creepy is the pile of children's shoes in the corner.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

'Stunned' is a good word - though the one that felt most appropriate for me after walking out of the cinema was 'shellshocked'. I couldn't walk in a straight line :whoa:

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I had similar feelings with Visitor Q. That movie had broken every taboo in cinema. I was left wondering if I loved or hated the movie.

13. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Loved the movie. It was sorta like an extra twisted version of Alice in Wonderland (yes, Alice in Wonderland is twisted. The cartoon always creeped me out, especially the part where she was crying and lost in the forest). Very imaginative and creative. The bittersweet (exactly how I like my movies, happy endings are just too cliched these days) ending was wonderful, letting the audience wonder if it was all in her imagination or not.

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was logical to think that it was all in her imagination, except for the question of a particular chalk door ...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.