1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paroled murderer commits second murder within months of release

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, May 23, 2012.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This oughta get LKD going:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...7/ns-amber-kirwan-arrests-police.html?cmp=rss

I don't mean to minimize this tragedy at all, but in my experience, the Parole Board really errs on the side of caution when making parole decisions. And it is USUALLY a tough sell.

But once in a very rare while, they flub it and something like this happens. And when it does happen, it is horrible, and a recipe for a sure fire media storm.

Now just by way of background, the Parole Board takes a lot into consideration, the inmate file that shows progress with programming, references from others, clinical and actuarial risk assessments, and all the rest of it. If any of that registers a possible risk, the Parole Board will shut it down (most of the time).

But recent research is coming out raising concerns that the whole process can be manipulated by full-blown psychopaths who can grease up and con parole boards into thinking they're changed men. I profoundly suspect this is one such case.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The death penalty would stop repeat offenders ... just sayin'....

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What worries me about this case in particular is that I have cousins around that age in that area. Still, I think it is far too easy for murderers to get parole in this country.

Family members of convicted criminals must have a hard time with things like this. Obviously they want to see their loved ones having freedom again, but at the same time if they are even quasi-rational people they will understand that people are worried about repeat offenders.

Speaking as someone who has never known anyone who has spent time in prison, I would much rather have someone I love locked up if it meant it was more difficult for someone who may kill again to be paroled.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, so he killed a cab driver when he was 15? Is that why he was let out of prison - because he was a minor at the time of initial crime? I thought LKD said murderers were supposed to go to prison for 25 years?

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Canada's Young Offenders Act says that crimes committed as a youth get MUCH more lenient sentences, especially if cobbled together with a sad sob story about a difficult home life and addictions issues. Plus it was 2nd degree murder as opposed to first.

Beren will likely remind me the Young Offenders Act has been modified and re-named. I can't remember the new name, and IMHO the changes were merely cosmetic anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I wonder how the world would look if every crime was punishable by death...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Much more empty :)

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So when should offenders bear the full brunt of the law? 18? 16? 15? 12? 7?

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In the womb - they're people at that point, right?

In all seriousness (is that a word?) different societies establish adulthood at different levels. Here in the US, there is no uniform age among the states where you can be tried as an adult.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is one question that will probably never be answered. :(

IMO though, it should be determined ona case by case scenario.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    (I know you know this dmc, but for those who might not...)

But at 18 you are tried as an adult. So while there's no MINIMUM age at which you can be tried as an adult, and certainly people under 18 have been tried as adults, the maximum age you can be and not be tried as an adult is 17.

Although even then there are differences in sentencing. For example, if you commit a capital crime as a minor, even if you are tried as an adult, you can't get the death penalty, regardless of whether or not the state you live allows them.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you do it case by case, you run the risk of inconsistency.

If you set up firm dividing lines (as with the 18 year old one that currently exists in Canada and the U.S. (?) ) then you have an overly rigid system.

I know that "kids make mistakes", but come on. Get real and leave sunshineville. You cannot tell me that a 15 year old doesn't know that it's wrong to kill someone in cold blood.

I've taught teens, and it's so funny. When it comes to rights, they are there -- they claim they are mature enough to drink, hump, do drugs, and all the rest of it.

Yet when the time comes to face the consequences for their adult behaviours, "I'm just a kid!"

I'm all for second chances for minor mistakes, and even some major ones. But when defense attorneys try to make out a freaking murder as "it was just one mistake!", as if it's the same as a shoplifted candy bar, my blood really starts to boil.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.