1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Composition and when to dual class

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mulsis, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Mulsis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm toying with going through the game on the evil side, something I haven't done.

I'm decided on the assassin charname, since backstabbing has never been a big part of my strats.

So this means I have the thief, and being evil, I should obviously bring along Korgan, Edwin and Viccy. I think I could go through as a 5 man party. I do want to take serevok come ToB

So here are my choices, as I see them.

Haer'Dalis - Back-up mage, semi decent fighter and powerhouse come ToB. I'd have to follow the blade guide posted here though.

Jahiera - Kind of a last resort, as I want to explore some other personalities and I've used her three times already, but she has access to some very handy druid spells and she's a decent fighter to boot.

Cernd - Pretty much the same reason as Jaheria, but he's seems like a bit of a pansy. *shrug*

Jan - Would be a backup mage and would help with theif skill progression since the assassins is so slow.

Imoen - She'd be another darn good mage, and for story reasons it's just wrong to leave her behind. Plus there has to be some interesting banter with Servy come ToB.

Which One to pick?

And my second question is, if I choose to dual my assassin, when should I do so? I'm thinking fighter for the attacks per round and thaco bonuses, but I'm worried he may never reactivate the assassin skills. Plus the thief HLA's might be more valuable.

[ December 18, 2004, 22:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'd take Jan. A backup mage is always helpful, and he can focus on lick pick and trap detection whil you go for stealth and backstab and stuff.

Also, in dual classing I would do it from a fighter to thief. However, if in dual classing you cant get a kit, then I'd say dont dual. Since if you did you would miss out on the thief HLAs like assasinate.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Maybe try a Fighter/thief multiclass. You'll get HLA from both classes and assasinate is better if you can use it on multible attacks.

I would suggest Jaheira because of the excellent (and rewarding) quests and amusing conflicts with Viccy and the rest.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I like the Imoen idea. She's so innocent, she can't see any wrong with you. She'll also stick with you, even if your Reputation drops to 2!

Either play a multiclassed F/T (halforc w/ a 19 STR), or play a single classed assassin.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Make a multi and SK him to Fighter/Assassin. Personally I prefer a Kensai/Thief. At any rate a single class Assassin is :nono:

Sarevok, Viconia and your PC are enough tankage.
    I'd replace Korgan with Jaheira, as compared to Cernd she is more useful more often. Then take Imoen. With thieving as your active class you dont require Jan's thieving capabilities.

6. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Even though you don't get Sarevok until TOB and if your PC is a straight Assassin? :?

A straight assassin should be fun. Don't dual though, because then you won't get to make use of the higher backstab multiplier.

Charname (Assassin - long swords, daggers, katanas / Short Bow)
    Korgan (Fighter - axes / warhammers)
    Edwin (Conjurer - staff / sling / dart / dagger)
    Viconia (Cleric - Mace / Flail / Sling)
    Jan (Illusionist/Thief - Short Sword / (light) Crossbow)
    Sarevok (Fighter - Two Handed Swords / (heavy) Crossbow)

7. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just make 2 assassin and have fun backstabbing, there's no need for a party when you are playing an assassin :)

8. Tarron Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Instead of Jan as the 5th member, install the solaufein mod. You already have a thief and it wont take long to get the minimum stats you need in lock picking etc, so Jan will eventually only be used as a backup mage. S on the other hand is a backup mage, and also a strong fighter, come TOB you will be kicking major booty. Up to getting S Korgan will handle most tanking and Edwin is the (possibly) the best mage in the game so you wont be lacking in any areas.

9. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No it probably won't take that long to get the minimum stats in lock picking and finding and disarming traps. Mind you, there are lots of other thief abilities out there. The assassin will focus primarily on Move Silently and Hide in Shadows (and once those are filled, Set Snare), to allow his super backstabbing to be done. Jan will focus more on Open Locks, Find and Disarm Traps, Detect Illusion, & Set Snare (and lastly, pick pockets).

10. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Cernd can be pretty powerful.....with the reballanced shapeshifter mod he can be the most powerful npc in the game. Not only will he soak up the dammage on the front line but he will regenerate it as well!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.