1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party Infighting

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Faragon, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Last night our group had a good case of party infighting. I really like how it turned out, as each character was completely in its element and yet we found a way to prevent casualties.

It started when we found a chest filled with platinum bars. 20 of them. They were marked with a Sembian Seal. Our Fire Genasi Fighter from Sembia thought it was a good idea to return it to its owner, who apparently could only be one person. That person is apparently a good and just person, and a powerful one at that. The mage supports this idea, looking forward to having powerful political allies.

My character though, a CN Human Fighter, along with the party halfling rogue was against that idea. "Money is there to be spent, we don't even know if the merchant lost it." Arguments were given for and against, and eventually the rogue gave in. My character gave up a bit later as well, outnumbered in the discussion.

However, being the stubborn somewhat selfcentered CN character that Korr (my char) is, he stole one bar from the chest during his nightshift. (I actually made the dexteritycheck to get the chest away from the monk, like stealing the palantir from gandalf in RotK ;) ) He hid it in the Wyvernhead he had been carrying around. (Cut out a portion of the center to hid the bar in) This is also where I as a player made a mistake. I informed my fellowplayers. Thus, one of them made up a reason to open the chest in the morning.

Fingers were immediately pointed at me (I argued the strongest for keeping the money) but I pushed the blame to the halfling rogue. The monk tried to guilt trip "the thief" into admitting it, while I gave them more options of who could've done it (We were travelling with a caravan) The genasi then decided to pick up the halfling and shake him around, convinced he stole the bar.

Here my character begins to guilttrip a bit, not wanting a friend to get hurt over his actions and tells the genasi to stop it. The halfling calls him a freak (He's very sensitive to that) and the genasi freaks out. (Like a true hothead.) Korr steps in between the two of them. (Here the DM washed his hands of the whole thing :lol: ) The genasi lays a hand on his sword, telling me to get out of the way. Korr draws his sword (My character is a hothead who as of late learned to control it better) and tells him to back off. The genasi leaps for him, but he loses the opposed STR check for a grapple and is beaten to the ground by an armored arm meating his throat in midrun. :grin:

Meanwhile, the halfling runs away to hide. (And does so flawlessly, rolling a 18)

The genasi looks for the halfling but can't find him. As Korr tries to reason with him, he gets suckerpunched by the genasi. (5 subdual damage) My character puts his fists up in defense. (Expertise) Meanwhile, the gnomish cleric had gotten enough of the genasi's temper and cast hold person on him. Just before my character decides to return a punch. The genasi is hit with a powerattack on the chin and takes 9 subdual damage. :grin:

As the genasi is held, my character backs off. The monk goes on trying to guilttrip "the thief", and my character decides all this fighting between friends isn't worth the bar. He returns it to the monk (pieces of rotting wyvernflesh still clinging to it) and walks off torn between guilt and anger (anger that his friends were willing to fight amongst eachother over one bar) The genasi walks off a tad later too, into a different direction. The halfling is still in hiding.

Meanwhile the evil former priestess (NPC) who had slowly started to open up to us because of positive experiences, decides she was right at first and the positive experiences were just a mistake.

Overall, a great session, even if we didn't advance with the plot one inch ;) If you've got any good stories (or sad ones) please share them.

[ March 11, 2004, 17:31: Message edited by: Faragon ]

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Nice. It sounds like your party actually progressed as characters instead of just roleplaying indepedently of each other. In my opinion, that's taking roleplaying to the next step: not every character doing his own thing, but the party actually roleplaying together as a group. Plus you got to roll dice.

3. P4TRiQ Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] That it just like when me and my friends play back home..

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Brilliant. But, who are the characters (names, race, class)? Because I have no idea how the monk continued to guilt trip the thief after he hid in shadows...
    Did your party have two thieves?

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Whoops, no. The halfling "Rogue" hid, while the Monk tried to guilttrip the thief. (ie, the person who stole the bar, ie my character :) )

I've gone back and edited my post accordingly.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Alix - Female human Fighter NE
    Eldoth- Male human Rogue (me) NE
    Set - Male drow ¨Evil Paladin¨ (I don't remember the class name but it's the equivalent of a paladin but for the dark side) LE

We were in a lost tower searching for fun...and running from the city because I argued with the drow and we accidently killed 3 civilian when I throwed my torch in a alchool barril (I tried to hurt Set). Anyhow Set has a great sense of honour, so each time I stole something he argued hard with me. Anyhow we reached a merchant and we didn't have much equipment and their was sereval monster in the tower (don't ask me why their is a merchant in a tower...). Just before we talked to the merchant...

- Hey, I'll just go get what we need from that old fool, didn't you needed a better sword Alix?
    (Eldoth)

-Right, this tiny short sword isn't suited for a warrior of my might
    (Alix)

-WHAT!? Don't you have any honour, Vile Scoundrel! Lowly thief! Stu... (Set)

-Hey! How are ye gonna get this stuff? By paying?
    Have ye no memory? All the gold we got is ¨borowed¨ gold he he...
    (Eldoth)

-Guys! Stop it already! Without Eldoth we wouldn't got out the city! (Alix)

-You truly have no honour... Anyway it's still better to pay with your dirty gold. PLease go buy me a piece of armour. This merchant probably won't stand seeing a dark elf. (Set)

-He certainly will, yer pretty scary you know... (Eldoth)

-YOU! (he draw his sword) (Set)

-Wooha! relax I'll go buy your stuff! (Eldoth)

-Remember! I will watch you! (Set)

-Ooookkay! So Fair lady what will you like? What can I do to the prietiest person here? (Eldoth)

-... just go get that sword! An armour wouldn't be a bad idea either. (Alix)

So I go see the merchant but he fell asleep. I did all I could to wake him but without succes. So I just jump over the stand and took what we needed. Of course Set realized this...

-YOU! I told you! I will kill you! (set)

-Hey relax darky, the money's right here! (Eldoth)

I had placed money near the merchant

-You've change normaly you wouldn't do this (Alix)

-Whisper: What do hell are ye talking about?! As soon as Darky out 'o the way, I'll take it back (Eldoth)

So I did take the money. Fortunately he didn't saw me.

We didn't really fight but it was nice anyway. What a fool Set...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.