1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pat Robertson - The Foolery Continues

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Last year conservative Pat Robertson called down the wrath of God on the state of Pennsylvania for it's shifitng postition on teaching ID. As it would happen, "God's wrath" seemed to appear elsewhere, mostly on the hapless Gulf Coast, a conservative stronghold (but Pat won't go there - Texas and Alabama included). But it seems his foolery has new heights, and just when you thought he could not make a bigger fool of himself, he proves, once again, that he is up to the task:

And here, all this time, some of us thought that He had created the entire world. I guess Virginia, where Robertson resides, is still in property dispute, at least regarding God's claim to it. Perhaps Robertson doesn't want God "muscling in" on his territory.

But the real crux of this is Robertson's comments in regards to Sharon:

And "woe to us all" - the old fool has spoken.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yeah the guy's an idiot. It makes me wonder though what kind of people can possibly listen to anything he has to say. I do however think that these comments are mild compared to the comments he made about New Orleans when Katrina struck.

3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, but Robertson cashed in on that one:

It would seem there are even bigger fools...

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050919/blumenthal

But you are right about the comments:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Book of Revelation (last book of the Bible for those that don't know/care) states that there would be many catastrophies in the last days. It made no mention that they would be specifically targetted. Perhaps Religion would be more readily received if people like Mr. Robertson would shut up...

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What's that expression about predicting the future with the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other?

Of course, all of Robertson's "God's land" statements are straight from the Old Testament (and/or Torah) and you can find millions of conservative zionist Jews who would agree whole-heartedly with his statements.

There's nothing in the Old Testament referring to Vietnam, California or New Zealand as being "God's Land." Wonder why... ?

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Not, they're not straight out the Torah, they're Robertson's twisted interpretation of the words and concepts found there. While some Jews might agree with what he said, you'll find that it's a tiny fraction of Jews overall.

7. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just to remind every-one about robertson

Robertson ran for president as a conservative in 1988,

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here's what i don't get....why do morons like that get even the slightest bit of attention ? I mean it's obvious the man is an attention whore, and they're giving him exactly what he wants. If the media would simply ignore him, he wouldn't even be a subject of discussion.

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I've read in the newspaper today that there are rumours that Robertson wanted to build a christian evangelistic thematic park in Jerusalem and Sharon refused to gave him the permission to do it. If this is true, perhaps it explains why he is ready to dance on Sharon's grave.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Because he's a "man of god," and sadly, that's all the credibility some people require. Sure he may be an idiot, but he spreads the words of the bible, so he must be good and honest. These are the people who make up quite a large chunk of Bush's base.

:rolleyes:

11. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@DR

They make up less of the Bush base than you think. Many of the ultra-right religious branch are pretty pissed off at Bush...just put on your waders and cruise some of the blogs.

Here's the White House response to Robertson's ravings.

Robertson gains his support not from sources in the government, but from the million or so lackeys who watch him with bated breath every day...then send in a check "for the cause".

I say we arrange a mud wrestling match between Robertson and the President of Iran.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    This last summer I flew from Houston to Norfolk, Virginia. When I got off the plane and walked into the terminal I was greeted by a large sign that said "Welcome to Norfolk" and right under it was a huge picture of Pat Robertson. It's clear that Robertson has a lot of following, mostly regional.

But I have to believe that he has close ties to the Bush group. Why? Because I still remember the 2000 Republican primaries. Remember John McCain coming out against Robertson and Falwell? And then there was South Carolina and the Jones University visit by Bush, who went there to assure the religious right that he was really "their guy." It was the turning point, and it gave the nomination to Bush instead of McCain. And 6 years later, George II still seems to be "their guy," despite the comments and lip-service given to the press.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Even the devil can quote the Bible.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Good point Nakia. It's more about the message that the person tries to send rather than just their sources. If someone attempts to speak for God, they'd best be sure of what they are talking about. It makes no sense for God to punish thousands of innocent people in New Orleans beacause someone who now lives in Hollywood is a lesbian. Also, isn't Sharon about 79 years old? If the health troubles of the past year are the first serious healt problems he has had to endure, then he's had it really good. I've had a number of family members that didn't even make it to 70 (one died of a heart attack at 29), so I think it's not God punishing him, but rather his life nearing an end naturally. It is those claims that discredit religion in America. True, most of his message might not be that bad (like the actual charitable work his organization does, preaching to encourage moral cleanliness), but you have to watch out for what he's saying...

15. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

yeah, a severely overweight guy in his late 70s taking industrial strength bloodthinners and working an extremely stressful job has a stroke... must have been a miracle!

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Pat Robertson needs a lobotomy. The scary part is how many people have given over their brains to him and follow everything he says without a second thought.

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The problem with religion isnt so much people like this Robertson person. I for one am spooked not by a single loony but by the fact he is heard. The fact he has a willing audience, according to what is said here. It's what makes me weary of religion (or rather weary of the religious devotees?), and not be merely indifferent about it as would otherwise be the case.

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG]
    :confused: Another one? He's already had at least three that I can think of off the top of my head (pun intended).

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    /me gets on soapbox

I'm personally horrified at how people are willing to villify this man and his followers. Wishing horrible surgical procedures on him, implying he may be evil, questioning the reasoning of his followers, etc is all inappropriate.

Just because YOU don't agree with him, doesn't make YOU right and him wrong. All opinions are valid and everyone should be entitled to one.

Personally I think he is a whack job, but I would never wish him any harm, nor do I think his viewers have anything wrong with them.

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    At times, people get treated the way they treat others. It's called poetic justice...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.