1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC or Console?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Beren, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A chance to express your preference, accounting for any of a number of issues like: the titles that are available for either PC or console, the convenience of using a PC for both games and other functions (e.g. word processing), graphics capabilities, etc. If you do prefer a console, which one?

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I am something of a console gamer, but lately i've been moving more and more toward PC. You see, I moved out of my parents house and into a flat with two other people a few months ago. As I had the biggest TV out of the 3 of us, I put it in the living room so everyone could use it. Now I can barely get near the damn thing to play games :(

Also, Steam has really helped. For £40 during a sale, I can get a wealth of excellent games.

These days, I generally only buy something on console if it's a console exclusive.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] PC all the way.

Aside from the fact consoles are ergonomically designed for man hands (To quote Howard from The Big Band Theory "She's got freakishly small hands that make anything look big... it's partly why I love her.") I tend to find that the controls are too limited, and often by extension gameplay, and I like to have a fiddle with the files on games I play :book:

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Both, with PS3 as the console. The PS3 has some nice exlusives that are not available on the PC and vice versa. I always prefer the PC version if the same game is available for both systems though. The PS3 is a great Blu-ray player as well.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I much prefer my xbox over the PC these days. I find I can lie down on the couch or lounge on a beanbag whilst I play rather than sit in a chair.

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    PC, I find consoles expensive and always under my expectations.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I was an avid PC gamer, if only to justify the 1,500$ I spend back in '06 on a new gaming powerhouse. But the bloody thing died earlier this year. I do mean dead the thing won't boot at all. I tried to revive the damn thing with a compy-savvy friend but alas to no avail. Anyway, that black monolith of a compy was more or less on a metaphorical life support since '10.

So I bought an xbox 360 when I realised most of the games I wanted to play were available on that console and it was significantly less expansive than a new PC. I still have got my laptop for general computer use so yeah. Ok ok, Dragon Age on a gamepad is... awkward at best, but you somehow get used to it. Mass Effect on the other hand plays beautifully.

Speaking of which I actually bought the original Mass Effect twice once for the PC and one for that black VCR-looking Xbox360 -- You're welcome Bioware --. When I (re)played it on console I was flabbergast on how beautiful the game looked on an HD TV. Playing ME on my old PC required that I played it in 800 X 600 with the lowest setting possible and a massive dose of faith -- will it load ? will I have to redo that damn level again 'cause it keep crashing ? Will my Compy Overheat ? Why do I get the feeling my compy's about to explode ?

So in short a needlessly long answer with a massive dose of irrelevant stuff to pretty much say "Console" -- :D

I find the xbox360 controller to be quite comfortable thank you very much :p On the other hand I do miss fiddling with the game's setting, trying out untested mod, and other stuff like that. Oh well can't be helped.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

PC for intensive games: Call Of Duty, Diablo, Portal, etc

Console for social less serious games like Soul Calibur, coop dungeon crawl games, FIFA etc

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.