1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Phasing Weapon?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by timschutts, Sep 21, 2000.

1. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Just a question to some more advanced users - I just got what might be a pretty cool sword in Dorn's Deep. It's a Bastard Sword of Phasing +3. The stats are pretty good compared to what i already have (2D4+3, THACO +3), but it has a 15% chance of "Phasing". My question is, what the heck is phasing? Is this a good thing?

2. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It sounds like it would be beneficial to be phased - to be intangible. But in IWD, it's like a disease - infact, Cure Disease frees you from phasing, I believe. If phasing occurs (15% or whatever), then the struck creature glows for a second and suffers a little extra damage, like 1-4 or 1-6.

3. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In a game of D&D I had a long time ago (so very long ago) one of our party members got phased, so he was sort of half in The Realms, half somewhere else. Anyway, the point is he was totally immune to any kind of attack but he was also completely unable to affect anything in our world anymore, even his speech was all screwed up.

I don't know exactly how it works in IWD but I imagine it's somewhat similar, except I believe that in IWD you can still attack the person you phased 'cause that just wouldn't make any sense. Hit someone with your weapon and then never be able to hit them again? Wouldn't work.

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think a phased character or creature exists on both the Prime Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane, but as posted above, you're pretty useless on either plane since you're kind of in the middle. I never found that item in IWD and I'm not sure if I would have used it either.

Is it any good?

Sylvus

5. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] I got it late last night, and haven't played yet today. Since it seems no one has encountered this weapon yet, I'll be the guinea pig! Maybe I'll attack one of my own characters with the phasing sword, then 'll find out exactly what it does.

6. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I know what typical D&D phasing is, phase spiders and phase doors and all that, but IWD also uses phasing as some sort of damaging affliction. I have the same +3 Bastard Sword of Greater Phasing (and a +2 Morning Star of Lesser Phasing - both=cool), and when someone is phased by the sword, they glow and suffer 2pts of additional damage per round for several more rounds, like they were poisoned or something. (I just went back and hacked up those slaves under the ice salamanders just to make sure. Poor people.) Phasing isn't explained in the manual, but the 1.06 patch says only Cure Disease can remove it. Nothing really explains though exactly how phasing causes damage to someone, since it's always been a beneficial now-you-can't-touch-me thing. I don't remember this kind of "phasing" in any other book D&D weapon.

Maybe chunks of flesh flicker in and out of tangibility on the person, separating and crudely reattaching to the surrounding flesh, ripping and shredding and snapping and spurting, like bloody earthquakes spontaneous fractures and breaks, deforming ruptures. Hey, that's cool!

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited September 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited September 22, 2000).]

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

LOL! You know what scares me about that last graphic description? Is that we'll probably be seeing stuff like that in Baldur's Gate 2! :)

I don't know why they haven't added a weapon like that, but rather than effect the creature you're fighting, use it as an "added" ability if you're using that weapon. Then during battle, when you need some time, click on the icon and it uses the iniate ability within the sword itself. Then you become "phased" or "ethereal" and all attacks mounted on you go through you unless it's a +3 weapon or better, or better yet, move around the battle field, postion yourself and come out of your "phased" state and attack from behind.

Syl...

8. timschutts Guest

[​IMG] Yep, it does a disease-like bit of damage for a number of rounds after the attacked creature is phased. As for how the damage is described, when I attacked and phased one of my own characters, a cross icon appeared on my protrait, like a disease, and on the characted record I was described as "Nauseated"!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.