1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Phew... The name Melkhior ...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Melkhior, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Melkhior Guest

[​IMG] "Gah!" I thought to myself today, as my cousin said that Melkhior was the name of one of the wise men in the bible. I´m using that name for my Paladin Undead Hunter, and did NOT think that that name fitted very well.
    I checked up the name now, and found out that it was spelled Melkior or Melchior in the bible. I´m relieved, although it DOES spell almost alike. What do you think? Is Melkhior a cool name to use in BG2? Ah! I hate when these things happen!! :eek:

2. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I read somewhere (i believe it was in my parents encyclopedia) that when spelled "MELKHIOR" (like you) it was the name of a powerfull demon prince or archdevil.

3. Melkhior Guest

Really? In that case, it´s cool as hell :)
    I´m gonna do a search on the net and try to find out where it comes from. ( Actually, a got it from Warhammer - Vampire Counts. There´s a Vampire called "Melkhior the Ancient". Haha! And I´m playing a Undead Hunter :D ) lol!

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

You play Warhammer, cool. Theres not a whole lot of those around here. I believe you play Vampire Counts, the new army book got released a few months ago. I play High Elves and theres way to long time till the new army book comes out :( :(

[This message has been edited by Firestorm (edited June 02, 2001).]

5. Melkhior Guest

Acctually I don´t play Warhammer no more. I quit maybe half a year ago.
    Well, I made a search of the name "Melkhior" and the only thing that showed up was Warhammer.
    I´d like to list some names from warhammer that can be cool to use. I hope Tal doesn´t ban me for posting a msg like this, but... here goes! :

Adepta Sororitas, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Mechanicus, Aekold Helbrass, Amon ÕChakai, Arbaal, Archaon, Archon, Aspect Warrior, Avatar, Azazel, Banna Waver, Battlefleet Gothic, Black Library, Blood Angels, Blood Dragon, Bloodletter, Bloodthirster, Cadian, Catachan, Celestian, Champions of Chaos, Codex, Count Mordrek, Culexus, Daemonette, Dark Eldar, Dark Reaper, Death Zone, Dechala, Digga, Digganob, Drachon, Dregmek Blitzkart, Egrimm van Horstmann, Eversor, Exarch, Eye of Terror, Falcon, Farseer, Fire Dragon, Fire Prism, Flesh Hound, Gargant, Gobbo, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Gorthor, Great Unclean One, Gretchin, Grey Knight, Grot, Haemonculus, Head Honcho, Hellion, Hunter Slayer, Immolator, Incubi, Inferno, Journal, Keeper of Secrets, Khazrak the One Eye, Khorne, Knights of the White Wolf, Knights Panther, Legion of the Damned, Leman Russ, Lichemaster, Lord of Change, Madboy, Mandrake, Man O War, Marauder, Mekboy, Melkhior, Mordheim, Mordian, Necromunda, Necrarch, Necron, Nob, Nurgle, Nurgling, Obliterator, Ogryn, Old World, Ork, Painboy, Plaguebearer, Plague Fleet, Predator, Psyker, Raider, Raptor, Ratling, Ravager, Ravenwing, Rebel Grot, Red Gobbo, Scourge, Scyla, Sea of Blood, Sentinel, Servitor, Skaven, Slaanesh, Slann, Snot, Snotling, Space Wolves, Spanner, Squat, Squig, Striking Scorpion, Succubus, Swooping Hawk, Sybarite, Tallarn, Tears of Isha, Terminator, Troll Slayer, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Valhalla, Valnir the Reaper, Vyper, Walach, Warhammer Quest, Weirdboy, White Dwarf, World Eaters, Wraithlord, Wych, Yoof and Zoanthrope.

These are names that showed up on the page. From this moment, no one will have problems finding a new name :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The topic's OK. The problem is, the forum isn't. This belongs to Whatnots.

7. Melkhior Guest

Ok, sorry. I just thought that since I used the name Melkhior in BG2 so... but ok.

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You forgot Turbulentsia (thats the name of my planet for the Turbulent Marines)

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dear Melkhior,

It is true, there were three wise man (probably astrologers) that came to visit the new born king according to stories from Bible. And one of them carried your name.

Since they were not Paladins of any kind, I'd suggest you to switch your class immediately! Maybe mage/thief should be appropriate...

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Extremist - you're 100% right. The Bible refers to wise men from the east (the actual Greek is magi). They would have been royalty, probably accompanied by scores of armed troops. There may or may not have been 3 magi, we don't know. There were 3 gifts, which has lead to the tradition of 3 wise men. Most of the names attributed to them have risen through legends, so don't put too much water in that! The point of the story is that the birth of Christ was a world-encompassing event, not just good news for a little back-water country like Israel.

Back to your name. It appears in the Knight's Lore game. Here is an excerpt from the text:

Nel primo episodio Sabreman si era avvemturato nella JungleWulf (non è ben chiaro neppure a mè cosa sia esattamente, ma sò che è una giungla!) e dopo esserne uscito illeso scopre lo spiacevole fatto che gli hanno fatto un incantesimo e trasformato in un lupo mannaro! Dal punto mio punto di vista la cosa non è poi così disdicevole, tuttavia a Sabreman il fatto di dover mutare in una palla di pelo ogni notte non fà troppo piacere, e decide allora di consultare il grande mago MELKHIOR per trovare una cura a questo incantesimo.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Mathetais ---> Indeed. Most likely they were people who had lot's of knowledge of the stars and they could or thought they could read what would happen in the stars. That explains why only they came in Bethlehem after following the star, it wasn't a very big star with a huge side of it pointing at Bethlehem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.