1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pictures, Portraits/Avatars and the Mind's Eye

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by dmc, Jul 23, 2003.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As is human nature, I tend to form mental images of the people on these Boards. Usually, it's driven by gender (if known), location (if known), Portraits/Avatars (if applicable), and viewpoints expressed on the various boards (AoDA mostly).

Now, I find out there's a site for pictures. Out of morbid curiosity, I check it out and find that I am way off on most.

So, this post is more about where my mental picture was somewhat on (probably because of the Avatars). Gopher, Ragusa, Chev, Sniper, and Sorvo. Err...SoCo, not so much.

Just interested in seeing others' opinions on this (do you form mental images and, if so, how accurate were they). Where were you on, where off?

P.S., Baldak's picture (link posted somewhere on the Boards) is ridiculously analogous to his Avatar - scarily so.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I almost posted a topic very similar to this a few weeks ago!

Yes, I play this game quite often, and usually without trying to - images just kind of pop into my head, and then get refined (but rarely on a large scale) as time passes. Sometimes the mental image can be so strong that a photo won't dislodge it! And, too, there are people for whom no image ever crops up...

BTW, dmc, you have a great-looking family!

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I tend to make mental images, quite a few a pretty accurate, I also tend to image peoples voices, but I'll never know if I'm accurate with them or not :heh:

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well... Initially I preferred another portrait - the plate-armoured elf from IWD2 that looks like a Lathanderian priest to me. I even rounded the ears a bit and coloured the hair so that those were more similar to mine, but we only get untouched avatars, so I took the spirited mage (possibly cleric if 3E) picture. Yes, it does look like me a bit, most notably in face expression, even more than in actual features.

@DMC: your actual image is more or less what I assumed you would be like, only I didn't imagine too much of looks, given you had an avatar and not a portrait :) BTW, your picture struck me as definitely one of a lawyer ;)

@8people: some people record soundsets for BG2 or IWD2. I think I'll be ready with mine soon. There are far too few good paladin soundsets ;)

[ July 23, 2003, 22:56: Message edited by: chevalier ]

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think Tal let's you have your own avatar if your desperate for it :hmm: can't remember, I think he said it once.

Your soundset should be most interesting, Chevalier, I may even download it ;) (I don't tend to bother with soundsets)

but speaking of soundsets :sosad: curse to you mods!
    But then again - Frosty is becoming a mod, just need to go round to her house, record all the sounds we need, and put her up on the net! Should be fun :evil: might even attach outakes as an extra :p

Actually I've just thought, nobody has written an SP party in CS for ages :lol: I remember they used to put refereces as people to their avatars, they used to be funny :)

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] I had a really strong mental image of some people, and they look nothing like I thought they would. These were based on choice of portrait/avatar, and mannerisms in posts. People who I were completely wrong about:
    Rallymama, Chevalier, Dudette, Extremist, and some others.

On the other hand, here are people who I've guessed more or less correctly:
    Herf, Kitrax, Master of Nuhn, Sorvo, and some others.

Those are at the top of my head. :)

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Heh... I tend to imagine people looking like their avatars, portraits or an image their nick conjures up... and boy, have those pics proved me wrong!

And... thwese mental images are so strong, that despite having even MET someSP people, I still picture them looking like these mental images. FOr example, my mental image of Harkle wears a pointed hat. (It's the PDN...) :D

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've heard so many people talk about this SP photo album, but no where have I seen any link to it. Can someone please help. :help:

I also try to imagin what people look like, with out intending to usually. But I will never know how accurate they are until I find the photo album.

[ July 24, 2003, 11:00: Message edited by: RotKU ]

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No mental images here; I stick with the avvy pics. No avvy, no face. :D

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @RotKU: Kitrax provided a link, somewhere close to the bottom of p. 4 of the current Random Babble.

@Gopher: should I ask?! ;)

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

My MI of extemist was so wrong I almost had to cry... and I also picture Tal as boss of some kind... Don't know why? ;)

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] http://groups.msn.com/SorcerersPlaceMemberPhotos

the member photos ;)
    in my favourites. Still debating whether I should get involved...

And Virne - I definitly have a face!

I pictured Rallymama with slightly longer hair that was straighter, but otherwise I got it.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Personally I like the Avatars, this because they usually reflect the person someone wants to be other than they are. Myself I wouldn't be found in the forest in this age of day but I'd really like to (not that there are many forests in the netherlands :rolleyes: )

So what I'm saying is that I stick to the avatars, it's more imagination than real and that's what got me here in the first place!

14. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah, does anyone else thing that SoCo's picture is just a dead ringer for him? ;)

There were a couple of people that shocked me and a couple that I mentally pictured as being pretty close.... Gopher was close and joacqin was pretty close. Ex I admit was way off in my mind and so was Sorvo....And Sprite was waaaaay off.

15. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hmm... Are you sure?

16. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I didn't realize I had to join a group to see the pictures, what's up with that. I'm still waiting for the approval from Tal or whoever the manager is.

****I wanna see the piccy's so bad****

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Nooooooo you don't

18. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, mental images can be very strong. I went once in meet of members of one Finnish Tolkien-based forum. They had all great avatars and portraits and it was little shock to see what they really looked like.

I haven't seen SP photo album, since I don't have pictures of myself in computer (no scanner or digi-camera), but I've met Arabwel in real life. But I still think of her as two personalities; Real-Ara and Ara here.

19. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I noticed the same thing. I had to join the group to gain access to the pictures.

I like the avatars. We can choose to be what we want. Look at ArtEChoke. He always wanted to be a round gray pimple-covered blob with arms and legs.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actually Sorvo's present portrait is very much like the real Sorvo... The githyanki portrait wasn't really way off, but it didn't give all that much of a mental picture.

Ragusa's portrait shares his face expression despite largely different facial features.

As I said, both DMC's are lawyers at first glance ;)

Beren, however, is a bigger trouble for me. I'd rather think he's black-haired than blond.

Finally, Lokken surely is an old lich just as shown :lol:

BTW, non-avatar people, do you know that I see gems when your nicks appear in the chatroom? For example Aikanaro... Hehe. Any times he enters #sorcerers I'm shown a big white stone in my mind :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.