1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates of the Sorcerean: Fair Winds, Foul Weather

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Rallymama, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    “You’re right in your approach, Nimue, but not your timing. Control of weather does take two Stewards, each affilitated with one of the elements involved – Water and Air, for a storm. But with the island’s curse broken, its protective storm has dissipated. Unless we can create a storm out of sunshine, we’ll have nothing to work with.”

Mister Fabian scans the armada again, his eyes unfocussed. “Serpent’s blood, there are five Stewards in that fleet, including Elder Pietronello himself!” He quickly mutters the spell that will include Nimue under his bracelet’s aura-shield. “No sense in revealing our strength too soon, is there? He may choose to forget that the Order sent me here in the first place.”

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Tanya tells the gathered crew of the situation, and a few moments later Ariel is buzzing with life.
    She walks to the rail and looks across the sea towards the armada. Surely they would sail faster than the flagship and a lot of the greater ships, even with the bright minds of the navy steering, she doubted little they wouldn't get away if they could leave the island now. Looking into the sky, she tried to sense the way of the wind, whatever little wind there was.
    A mere shard of the great treasure.. that's what we got. Yet the crown gets it way in the end.. as it always has been

Casting a glance at the two stewards, she smiles to herself. At least there would be considerable protection from many aspects of a dangerous journey.
    Many.. not all.

She felt terribly alone as she stood there, authority usually required a certain position of being above others. At least now it did, her most loyal members.. and friends, had been lost in this endeavor. They fall around me.. yet I remain.

At least her father was safe, and he still considered her his daughter. There's still hope, if only.. He'd never.. would he?
    She gazed once more upon the titanic ship of Isabelle, man-made beauty incarnate in her mind.
    "Some day.. I'll have a ship like that."

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Nimue set to gathering the scattered winds into the sails of the Ariel and the Pride while Mister Fabian works to aiding their escape in other ways. As long as they didn’t tangle with the armada directly they could likely keep their status as treasure hunters – assuming the Admiral’s good graces, which were far from assured – and he is sure that the Order would prefer that their new Magus not become an outlaw quite so soon. So he makes the water slip away from the ships’ hulls more easily, reflects the sun into the eyes of their pursuers, throws off the Navy’s attempts at magical grappling… He can feel the navy's stewards trying similar measures but chooses stealth over direct confrontation, focussing on enhancing his own vessels instead of delaying the others. The distance between the ships closes faster than it naturally would as the day wears on, and the specks on the horizon grow larger.

The sun is almost touching the western horizon as they cut across the bow of the Isabelle, halfway to clear sailing back to Drentan. Suddenly Mister Fabian is rocked by both the thunder of the navy’s cannons and the concerted efforts of their five Stewards to make the flying balls reach their target. He drops all other spells to hastily erect a wall of water that catches the iron harmlessly, and his shout can be heard even above the roar and splash of the barrier.

”NIMUE! NOW!”

The time for subtlety is past.

[ November 14, 2003, 21:41: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

As the Ariel holds a steady course, and the immediate danger is over, Archer walks up to Fabian.
    "On behalf of most of the crew.. I'm concerned about Tanya." he looks cautiously around to see if she's nearby. Seeing her standing far away, he proceeds, "Possessed and an Admiral's daughter? I should like to think I know my shipmates, but she.. she's no longer who she was! Half the crew's scared, sir. Personally I'm in doubt, but as said.. the crew has decided.."
    he scuffles his feet a bit, and starts to look nervous, "..to be rid of her and the admiral soonest possible. I was hoping you could provide some sort of reason I could use to try and pursuade the scared."

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nimue jerks energy out of the earth, not bothering to refine it nor attempting to control the amount. She weaves it into an enormous gale, which fills the Ariel's sails while pushing the Navy ships towards the rocks.

"The sails men! We're getting the hell out of here!" she exclaims. Then she turns to Archer. "I'll deal with YOU later."

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Mister Fabian is stunned by Archer's words. " 'Soonest' had best be Drentan, unless you all want to be complicit in mutiny! That would shorten your sailing careers quite a bit, I'm sure."

He is distracted by keeping the ships moving forward together on Nimue's gale and sending several large waves towards the fleet. "Archer, we need to keep the Admiral happy if we're to have any chance to escape being put in irons as soon as we make port. Tell the crew that, and keep their minds on sailing until we're clear of pursuit - I'll talk to them then."

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nimue paces the deck, mentally maintaining a firm grip on the gale that pushes the Ariel away from Sorrow's Rock. Those men! she thinks. Those stupid, stupid men!

She whirls around and regards the unfortunate Archer, who was crossing the deck and had the horrible luck to be behind her at the moment. "You...you horrible, ungrateful...." she regains control of herself.

"How. Dare. You," she sais, as calmly as she can manage. "Tanya is this ship's first mate, she has lead you through most of this horrible journey when hope failed and courage failed and even greed, that most powerful of human motivators, failed also.

"She has led you when your fellows died, she has led you when you yourselves survived, she has led you from start to finish and all you can say is that you wish to be rid of her?

"Let me tell you something of possession. A smart spirit will lure you through emotional attachments. Tanya left, became the victim of this, because she CARED TOO MUCH. Perhaps you would like it better if your first mate were indifferent to you in the future? Really? I'll be sure to let her know."

She continues, barely drawing a breath, not giving Archer any time to interrupt. "The possession is over. You may doubt the efficacy of magic, but I don't think even you are capable of doubting the efficacy of a deity! Yes, you heard me. Divine-bloody-intervention.

"She is no longer possessed. But she is uncertain. This is hardly surprising, given what she's just been through! And it's even less surprising given that the men who were so loyal to her are now doubting her!

"Everybody has a few dark secrets in your past. Sure, I most definitely do, and I had them shoved into my face when I ran off on my own. Don't tell me you don't have any secrets, Archer! Don't tell me there aren't things you hide, for fear the world will despise you for it!

"Now. You're going to go to the crew and talk to them, since they certainly won't listen to ME, a woman and a mage and therefore obviously untrustworthy." She snorts.

"Tell them: Tanya has been through a horrible experience. She needs time to figure things out. She needs support of people who have faith in her, because they remember all the things she has done for them!! Even if she herself does not remember, you must. Whatever abilities Tanya may have acquired, remember that she was one of your own first and foremost: 'Tanya of the Sea'. And if they forget it, may the God and Goddess sort them out, because I certainly won't be bothering distinguishing the guilty from the innocent and from the cowardly! Just like you are not!"

Nimue's tirade started out low in volume, but ends in a loud shriek. She turns and stomps off.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Archer stood partially scared, embarrassed and dumbfounded at the same time. Taking a deep breath as Nimue leaves, he looks down. Pulling forth the rings, he takes the silver up and studies it.
    Tanya of the Sea..

He wanted to believe, yet it would be hard to pursuade the others. Walking away, he sought out Tanya and coughed a little to make her notice his presence.

She gave him a slightly surprised look, "What is it Archer?"

"I believe.. these belong to you, ma'am. You entrusted them to me till you returned, well, you have returned." he held out the rings and she took them slowly.

"Thanks.. thank you, Archer."
    She stood studying them in silence, then looked up and studied the hunt of them. If they were to get out, she'd need the best of the best.
    "Archer, I'd like to see the Admiral."

"Yes, ma'am. Immediately." thus he scurried off.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Meatloaf hadn't been this glad to be on a boat since... well, he'd never been so glad to be on a boat. Straight when he had boarded the Aierl he'd hurried off to his kitchen were he'd began cooking a feast for the crew, to celebrate been alive.

He'd locked away his treasure in his room, enough he worked out to build one of the finest places back home. He'd be rich! Richer than he was before his kitchen was burnt down that horrible day. Seemed like such a long time ago, now that Meatloaf looked back.

"I'll build it back again. Better and bigger than it ever was before," Meatloaf told himself with a smile upon his face.

Looking up at his sword he laughed. It was now sitting on a bench to the side of his kitchen. He'd put it there for safe keepings. Meatloaf hadn't had a chance of yet to look at it closely, but he told himself, once this meal was served and they'd got away from the navy he would look into this glow of the sword. Maybe ever ask Mister Fabian or Nimue about it.

~~~~~~

Back up on deck William was feeling in a right mess. How could he, William de Trench Admiral of the Royal Navy, be captured by a bunch of pirates? He had to admit they weren't exactly ammiture pirates but they were pirates none the less.

And what had happened to Tanya, his daughter? Why was she acting so strange? Atleast she had had him released from the roped, and now he was allowed to walk around the deck freely, as long as he doesn't get in the way.

Looking around at the pirates he noticed something. They were scared. The looks on their faces gave it away, which shocked William. Most pirates he'd known wouldn't let on they were scared even when in the noose. And what's more they were scared of his daughter.

Seeing her standing their giving out orders William decided to approach her. Just at that moment a man, one of the pirates walked up to him. "Oye! You! Navy person, Tanya wants to talk with ye!"

The rudeness of him! To speak to an Admiral like that was worth a death sentence back home. But he wasn't back home, he reminded himself. Nodding he followed the pirate over to where Tanya was standing.

"Tanya," he said in a quiet voice, trying to not let any of the pirates listen in. "This crew of your's, they're scared of you. You'll be in for a mutany before we get back." Looking at the approaching navy he added "Ecpecially if the navy catches up."

[ November 14, 2003, 23:28: Message edited by: Rotku ]

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Tanya stood looking at the approaching fleet, "I know.." she replied, her voice distant.
    As she turned around she smiled at William. She looked all the lady he had left back home before his departure, except for the dirt and various torns in her clothing.

"I'm sorry, father, I.. I guess it was a mistake to come here. I saw you, you know, in Perry's memories. His spirit never left the place.. and he possessed me, on the beach.."
    She took a few moments to study him, his features. It felt good to have someone close to you around. Looking at the fleet once more, she nods in agreement.

"That's why I need the best steersman here to sail this ship," she turns to face him, as their eyes met they both knew her request. Tanya was skilled in sea-faring, but nothing compared to William who had taught her all she knew. He was still the master of the sea, "Father, please?"

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

William was shocked. Why on the eight seas would he want to get away from his navy? What had come into her to make her think that he'd run. But then, there was something. Something he knew had to be keeped from them. But then he couldn't betray the king!

Looking into Tanya's eyes he knew he had to. Even if it wasn't for the king he had to do it for his family. If Prince Richard caught them, yes, he would be let go an made a hero, but what about Tanya? She might be let off with life imprisonment, but he couldn't live with his only child in a jail cell. He knew what happened in those jails and just couldn't live with himself if he put his daughter in one of them.

"Yes," he said after a while of thought. "Let the crew know that I'm incharge and I will get us away from my navy."

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

She gave a little shriek of excitement and nearly attacked him in a massive hug. Taking a step back, she coughed a little.
    "Of course, I'll handle the crew. After all, I usually run a tight ship.. just like you. Keep in mind though, you're still a royal subject. If you have a problem with someone, let me know about it and I'll try to handle it. As soon as they realize that I'm still who I was.."

She dusts off his uniform with a few swipes of her hand, then beams at him.

"Handsome as ever they come, thank you father."

13. Rotku

William took the helm from Tanya. Looking around the navy ships were still ahead. Those Stewards must be doing something, he decided. No boat could go this fast with so little wind.

Suddenly something came to him. Away they could get through. Grabbing the closest pirate he ordered him, "Get me the Steward, now!"

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "You wished to see me, Admiral?" Mister Fabian said with a slight bow. "How may I be of service?"

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Having discussed through the events with the crew, and with Archer's aid, they seemed to slowly overcome their suspiciousness towards Tanya. They were after all, out of the Rock with booty.

Retiring to her cabin, she locked the door behind her. Home, sweet home
    Finding her chest untouched, she found a pair of incense sticks and lighted them, feeling the liberation of her mind's troubles. The trance was wonderfully calming, as the sight of home after a long journey. Pondering upon the adventures of the island, she thought of what things that were to come. She had jewels from the treasure, enough to get her own ship. She had no doubt that if not Fabian, then Nimue, was probably going to try and shanghai her for the Order of stewards.
    She pulled out the scrolls she had hidden in her bag of jewels, after speaking with Ruthbarb. Unfolding them, she read through them and pondered upon the contents. She had to consult Fabian, he would understand.. might even know. Hiding them in her chest along with the jewelry and gemstones, closed the lid and locked it, then returned to the deck. The fresh breeze of the sea was like a symphony in her ears and she turned to look upon William standing at the wheel. It nearly felt like she was a little girl again, studying him for his tricks and his ways of management. She chuckled to herself at the memory, and turned to stare across the great sea, her home.

She found the ring on her necklace, glancing at it, then found her own silver ring as well and merged them with a small spell. Playing with them between her fingers, she talked lowly to the ring, hoping its owner was able to hear.
    "You've shown me value of life and love, Alec, for that I'm eternally grateful. The heavens know that I'll always love you, but.. you're not here anymore, it's time for me to move on."

Clenching the combined rings hard, she took a deep breath and flung them far away into the sea, her grey eyes following them till they hit the water with a tiny *plop*.

"Like wind we dance across the sea
    Free and restless in mind and soul
    Seeking hoards of myth and legend
    In hunt of the glittering gold.."

She whispered their private oath and felt oddly relieved and free. A lovely intriguing scent brushed her nostrils and brought her mind back to the present. Meatloaf had to be outdoing himself this time, at least if it was going to taste as wonderful as the smell.

16. Rotku

"Yes, Steward. See those navy ships out there?" William pointed at the ships. The closest one to them, the mighty Isabelle still heading straight for them, not put off at all by Nimue's wind. Behind Isabelle, one of the smaller ships was heading straight towards the rock, with no help that William could sport.

The two other ships following were what worried William. Both of them had begun turning side on, to prepare their cannons, taking aim at the Aeirl and the Pride.

"The Isabelle, the closest one towards us, will try and ram us directly if I know the Prince's stratagies right. But the two behind that are getting ready to hit us with every fire arms aboard.

"I think that this boat has enough speed in it that we can pass the side of Isabelle. But we don't have enough time for us to turn beside the other two infront.

"The only way to escape is to use their trick. If we could ram them on their bow it would spin their ship off, making a safe passage for the Pirde to follow behind. It will work. I've seen it down before when I was serving on the Prince's ship. Not only will we get out but it should leave them crippled.

"That first volley of cannons must have been thrown by one of the Stewards on board of their ships. It is impossible for a cannon ball to go that far. So I will need you ready incase that happens again. But before that I have something else for you to do.

"Now, I need Tanya on board the Pride, just incase something goes wronge she will be able to put it right. If there is anyway you could do that Steward, with out stopping this boat, go do it now. After than, I want to know if there is any way at all that you could guide a sinlge cannon ball into each of the Isabelle's sails. That way they should be to busy to fire upon the Pride. I don't know if you can do this, but I need you to try. We'll need all the speed we can get if we don't want to go into a fire arms battle with them. Which believe me, we do not."

William turned back to the helm. He knew that the Areil wouldn't stand up to a ram against one of those ships. But he also knew that they wouldn't risk it. What he was hoping for was that they would sail back, last minute, leaving William a clear path home. Not trusting the Steward, nor the crew, he decided to keep his plan to himself, for the time being.

[ November 15, 2003, 03:52: Message edited by: Rotku ]

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Trust a military man to take a perfectly good escape plan and turn it into an addlepated attack, Mister Fabian thinks, as he politely takes leave of the Admiral and seeks out Tanya. His tone is completely neutral but his expression leaves no doubt as to his opinion of the plan.

"Ma'am, the Admiral would like me to transport you to the Pride so you can steer her clear when he sends Ariel off to ram the gunships that are getting ready to fire upon us. Are you ready to go?"

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Tanya turns and smiles at Fabian as he comes, then rolls the plan through her head a few times, trying to see good and weak points. Meanwhile other things fill her mind.

"Hi Fabian," her voice had a sound of which Fabian doubted he had heard before, she sounded.. happy?

"I've been wanting to ask you something about Perry. He believed firmly that magic would run rampant someday, he said he had seen it. Could visions arise from what we desire to see? Could it be a mere illusion?"
    She looked into Fabian's eyes in search of answers.
    "Would you doubt his powers in this?"

19. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Kassandra scoffed silently as she watched the Steward walk away from the Admiral. She had to be inconspicous about her eavesdropping, so as to not draw attention to herself. So, she made sure that she was in a position on the deck, where it would seem as if she were looking out at the intimidating armada, when in fact, her eyes were truly on the Admiral and the Steward.

She shook her head as she thought upon the so-called advice that the Admiral had given. Heh, this man thinks that he is truly clever. But I shall not let him get away with this. The Admiral's "Plan" was no plan, but in fact a very elaborate set-up, a set-up that was used when important Navy men like him were captured by the enemy.

On her father's ship, Kassandra had never been allowed to be on deck when such skirmishes happened, but she had heard of the stories of situations like their own, when a Navy man was captured by pirates, and the Navy emerging victorious under insurmountable odds. She had never truly been able to figure out why the pirates had lost their precious cargo, and their lives, but listening to the Admiral give his plan, it was bright as day. Whatever she had to do, Kassandra had to stop that order from being given. To do otherwise would be suicide.

Kassandra quickly skirted away, following the Steward, making sure not to catch the attention of the Admiral or her cover would be blown. She watched the Steward carefully, hoping that he would go someplace where they could speak freely and alone. Even though these pirates had taken her aboard her ship, she still wouldn't trust a pirate that thought his life was in danger.

She smiled to herself as she saw the Steward enter a cabin, which was likely his own. Perfect, she thought. This was the opportunity she needed to say her peace, and if she was wrong, well, better safe then sorry. Kassandra approached the door and raised her hand to knock, but stopped just shy of touching the door. She was too polite, and this was no time for subtleties. Still, she knocked on the door twice and then burst into the room.

She was surprised to see that the woman who was controlled by the evil spirit in the room as well, but she couldn't let that faze her. Kassandra turned her attention to the Steward and said, "Steward, it would be foolish for you to follow the Admiral's 'plan,' unless you want to get us all killed."

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "Who can tell which came first - the curse of Sorrow's Rock, or Perry's paranoia? Most likely, they were so entangled for so long that they became one. But either vision or illusion, they were his, and until you've figured out how to keep yourself separate from what he left you, you're walking very dangerous ground."

He breaks off as Kassandra interrupts. "That's the last thing I want," Mister Fabian says, turning to her with a smile, "and I'm happy to hear that someone else on this ship has an instinct for self-preservation. What do you see happening?"

As Kassandra outlines her suspicions, Mister Fabian nods. "I have to agree. The Ariel simply isn't built for ramming - it's not a threat that any experienced captain will take seriously. Escape still seems our best option, to me. Other suggestions, ladies?"

[ November 15, 2003, 05:03: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.