1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates Return IC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by The Kilted Crusader, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

From his position on the bridge of the Pale Horse, Captain John ‘Three Swords’ Abbot could see the port of Freetown in all its dark glory. It was a perfect place for anyone who did not want to be found. Murderers, thieves, bandits, smugglers. And Pirates. The town was run by a group called the Captain’s Council, a select few who had made a great reputation for themselves on the sea through their skill of arms and cunning. As long as you did not cause the Council any inconvenience and escaped their notice, you were safe in Freetown, if safe is what you’d call it.

It had been a very rough set of days for crew of the Pale Horse. It had started six days ago when they had attacked what they’d presumed to be a merchant ship. It had turned out to be smuggler’s of the Red Hand – a group famous for branding themselves with a red circle on the back of their left hand – and they had put up a fight equal to that of the crew of the Pale Horse. Three Swords had had no choice but to slaughter the enemy crew to the last man, lest anyone else found out he had attacked a ship of the Red Hand, but his own crew had suffered severe losses themselves in the act. After the battle, Abbot salvaged whatever goods he could from the smuggler’s cargo hold, mainly what could not be traced back to them like gold and food. He then ordered charges to be set and sunk the ship.

It was strange, though, he thought as they came closer to Freetown, that the smugglers had not flown a flag of truce and skull and crossbones when they had seen The Pale Horse upon them. Indeed – they had fired upon Abbot’s ship first. It made no sense, but he was happy to leave the situation behind him. Several problems had arisen to plague him now though – for one, the crew had decided it may be time for a new captain, after all, an act like attacking members of the Red Hand was not one that made you popular. It was lucky then, that their favourite candidate for the captaincy, the Quarter Master DuCheau had ‘accidentally’ fallen over board in the storm three days ago. Any thought of a new captain went with him, but he had had to make up for his mistake, and share a portion of his own booty with the rest of the crew. That had made them happy enough, but he was getting extra credit for sailing straight to Freetown so they could spend their loot.

Whilst there, he would bolster the ships ranks again, mainly because he was running on a skeleton crew, but also, it would be helpful to have a group on board who did not hold a grudge against him for attacking the smugglers.

Three Swords shifted his feet, enjoying the soft sway of a calm sea following a storm. He looked around him, watching the crew at work. He noticed each one of them took a glance every few seconds at the approaching Freetown and he knew they were excited to get on land and spend their hard won money on drink and women. He smiled as he remembered when he had done the same; there were still times when he wished he still did. He took his mind off of the thoughts by admiring his ship.

The Pale Horse was a vessel of the Brigantine class and it could hold a crew of one hundred men, ten cannon and a second sail. Unlike other ships favoured by pirates, this was a vessel was one of combat, able to dish out damage as well as take it and the cargo hold could take almost twice as much loot as some of the smaller pirate ships.

Finally, the Pale Horse floated smoothly into dock, the sail’s neatly wrapped upon the mast and the ship safely secured. Gangplanks were thrown down and Three Swords ordered six men to stand guard over the ship whilst the rest charged down, heading straight for the many taverns of Freetown, most of them were cheering as they went, happy to empty their bulging pockets. Three Swords followed them, strolling down the Gangplank and watching them move away. How many would return to the ship, he wondered? There would certainly be several runners, of that he had no doubt. In truth, he figured he would be lucky if a single man returned.

He sighed and began to stroll down the harbour. There was a tavern nearby that was known for its good (meaning strong) grog and hospitable environment. Three Swords walked on, looking out for the Tavern known as the Rotten Kelp…

2. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Zheng Hui stood outside the Rotten Kelp listening intently to the drum beat made by the small man sitting down on the ground a few feet away. The crowd had allowed him fifteen foot of room to move in. The drum beat began to grow in tempo and loudness but slow down again. The sword leapt from the scabbard as he kicked the air. The sword leapt right to left hacking at invisible opponents. Zheng leapt forward into a warriors roll and spun on his heel to turn away from the audience. The audience was smaller than he wouldve liked but it mattered not. He spun and twirled again eyeing up the viewers with the most coin.

The drum began to beat faster and faster as Zheng's speed grew. He spun the sword around him following its movement as he did so. Four spins, five spins the crowd gasped as they always did. He threw the sword into the air and ducked and dodged to invisible cuts before kicking out to his left and grabbing the sword to slice upwards. Continuing the movement the sword slid into the leather scabbard at his back as the drum gave one final bang. The audience clapped and Zheng bowed his head. Fools! he thought.

He slipped in amongst them as they proceedeed towards the drummer with money. His expert hands sliding into pockets of those around him. He stopped as he spotted a man at the edge of the crowd who began to turn and walk away. Zheng felt insulted, everybody paid and he followed the man with the long dark braid.

The man was almost within thiveing distance when he spun on his heel and grabbed Zheng's extended arm before slamming him into a wall of a building. The wind rushed from Zheng Hui's lungs and he dropped to his knees before standing up and staring into the one-eyed man.

"I do not care for fancy swordplay, but you seem to have some skill and the right llok about you Can you sail?" Zheng breathed deeply relishing the ability to breath once more.

"Yes, why?"

Abbot looked at the strange looking man and told him to meet him in the Rotton Kelp later.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    He did not want to be here.

A small frown was on his face, as Don Ricardo surveyed the docks. He knew that the muggers and urchins were eyeing him, his noble bearing a beacon to them… but the pickpocket with three broken fingers had been warning enough for them to stay away.

He cursed the rotten luck that had stranded him here, of all the places in the world. Hell’s bells, he would have preferred being marooned to this!

He eyed the Brigantine that was the latest addition to the ships in port; When compared to the ships already in, the Pale Horse seemed to be his best choice.

Now, he would have to find the captain… and unfortunately, he knew exactly whereto look for the man.

A grim expression on his head, he turned on his heel and strode towards the Rotten Kelp.

4. The Kilted Crusader

Abbot stepped inside the Rotten Kelp, a favourite hangout of his whenever he was in Freetown. The Kelp was a relatively small place, but far cleaner than any of the other tavern's in town. The floor regularly brushed and mop, the same went for the bar and more often than not, the mugs were cleaned and dried too.

It also had a reputation for keeping trouble at bay - making it less popular with the common seamen but a haunt for the old timers and the mildly tempered - due to the two bouncer's hired to deal with anyone stupid enough to try their luck against them.

Behind the bar there was a miriad of different drinks, kegs of beer, ale, grog and a large steel barrel of greasy coffee for those who woke up from a drunken stupor in the street.

He walked to the bar, a smile growing even as he reached it "Bartholomew Williams." he said, grinning now.

Bart was a friend to every captain in the ocean, even to one as unfriendly as Three Swords.

"Captain Three Swords Abbot." the bartender replied, a smile reaching his own lips. "It's been a long time since you've been in port. How's business?"

"Not well, my friend. I lost a lot of men in the storm a few days ago," Even to his friend Bart, he was unwilling to divulge the true meaning to his loss of crewmen "and I need more to keep the Pale Horse afloat. Can you put the word out for me?"

"Of course! I'll send Daniel out - the boy has nothing better to do."

"Thank you, I would appreciate that. Now get me a drink." Three Swords said, dropping a fat, silver coin on the bar - far more than the cost of a single drink.

Bart poured him a mug of grog from a blackjack, spilling in a little extra rum for his friend, "Thank you, I'll take a seat over there, by the card players - I feel I may try my hand tonight."

[ August 01, 2005, 02:04: Message edited by: The Kilted Crusader ]

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Alexa sat at a shadowed table in the Rotten Kelp, watching the comings and goings of pirate crews. Her booted feet were resting comfortably on the table, and she held a mug of grog in her hand.

She was hoping to join up with a crew soon, as Freetown was starting to loose it's appeal as a place to be a doctor. Too many men were coming in as doctors and taking away her best customers. Time for her to ship out and offer her services as a sawbones again.

Watching Bart serve a pirate, she noticed him gesture to her son, Daniel. Daniel made his way back towards his mother, eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Daniel, what news?" Alexa pulled up a chair for her son and gestured for him to sit.

He grinned. "That captain joining the card players is Captain Three Swords Abbot of the Pale Horse, and he's looking for crewmen." Alexa digested this information, then smiled at her son.

"I think I'll be talking to him then. Thank you for telling me." She handed him a small purse filled with coin. "That's for you, to keep yourself from getting into too much trouble. Bart'll take care of ye while I'm gone, if Captain Abbot takes my offer."

With that, she shoos her son away, gets up and walks towards the Captain, determination in her eyes.

6. The Kilted Crusader

Three Swords pulled off the two baldrics wrapped around him and placed the swords upon his lap as he slipped into an empty chair at the card table. He took a sip of his drink and set it upon the table as he looked at the other players. The men at the table glanced at him and the dealer murmured "We're playing black jack, eye patch. No limit." Abbot raised his eyebrow but nodded anyway.

"Very well. Deal them." Abbot said, watching the man shuffle the cards expertly, his movements sure and swift. He dealed with similar speed, but John was happy to notice that he dealt to everyone from the top of the pack. He also noted the signet ring the man to his right wore - a device often used to mark cards. He'd watch out for that one.

Out of the corner of his eye he noted a woman coming toward him. She was reasonably pretty, but he noted the burns on her clothes and hair. He waved her away as soon as she came by his side. "I'm not looking for a woman tonight. Go rut with something else."

7. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa's eyes flashed as she drew a dagger from her belt and threw it into the table in front of him, point firmly embedded in the wood.

"Captain, I am not a wench, looking for cheap rutting. I heard that you are seeking crewmembers for the Pale Horse. I am here to offer my services as ship's surgon." She bent down to whisper in his ear.

"And I can provide various explosives that have proven extremely effective in many a battle."

8. The Kilted Crusader

Abbot scratched his chin as he listened - trying to hide his surprise to hear of a woman in Freetown who wasn't a whore.

"A surgeon?" he said, looking at her, appraising her differently now, wondering how she sawed off limbs with her skinny arms. She must have had hidden strengths. And explosives, a reason for the singed clothing.

A person like that could be helpful aboard ship. But would she be safe - a shipful of men who hadn't even seen a women in weeks could be trouble for her and then there was the factor of bad luck to have a woman on board ship.

He didn't believe in that crap himself - you made luck for yourself as far as he knew - but the crew did have a strange attachment to superstition.

Finally he pulled the dagger from the table and looked at the blade. Often you could judge a person by their weapon of choice. The knife was well balanced for throwing, and the steel glinted with hours of polishing and hard work with a whetstone.

"Well," he said, handing the dagger back to the woman "I hope you can handle yourself, it'll be hard for a woman on board a pirate's ship." he settled back in his chair, laying his cards face down on the table, "Now tell me your name."

9. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa took her dagger back and sheathed it quickly. "I can handle myself well enough, Captain. I am no stranger to sailing. My name is Alexa. I once served on the Violet Maurader with Captain Arvin DeGrath. I served as the surgeon on that ship, and was involved in the capture of Captian Marius."

She indicated Daniel with a nod of her head. "I had to give up pirating after that, because I was pregnant with him. But now, I believe his true father has died and his stepfather passed away just two years ago. Bart looks after him more than I am able, and Freetown no longer holds appeal for me as a place to be a surgeon."

10. Arabwel

Media:
    Ricardo had almost reached the Rotten Kelp when a young boy, barely into his teens, ran into him.

“Watch where you are going, boy!” He growled as he spun the boy around; the youth had not gone for his purse, or his other assets, and that was the only reason Ricardo did not have his dagger out.

They boy’s eyes were wide, and Ricardo noted their unusual, hazel colour. The boy was otherwise unusual, too, he noted, since there was no layer of grime covering him.

“I’m sorry, sir!” The boy stammered. “I wasn’t looking where I was goin’, sir!”

“Ad where are you going in such a hurry, boy?” Ricardo frowned, tightening his grip on the boy’s shoulder: to his credit, the boy did not flinch even if he must have been in pain.

“Bart sends me, I’m to go put the word out!” The boy gasped. “Three Swords is lookin’ for crewmen for the Pale Horse!”

The Pale Horse. Captain Three Swords.

Ricardo bit back an oath as he released his grip of the boy. “Where is the captain, boy?”

”My name is Daniel!” The boy’s eyes flashed, and he raised his chin defiantly. But when Ricardo raised an eyebrow, the boy… Daniel… paled and quickly replied. ”He be at the Rotten Kelp, Sir… the one with the swords. Sittin’ with the card players!”

Ricardo smiled. “Good boy. Run along,” he told Daniel off-handedly, pushing the youth away. Daniel immediately scampered away as fast as he could.

Ricardo frowned a little as he continued making his way to the Kelp; if Three Swords was in need of a crew, he might not be able to persuade the Captain that his need for passage out of Freetown was urgent.

These thoughts were in his mind when he entered the Kelp., immediately spotting the tall captain, talking to a redheaded woman in low tones.

For a moment, Ricardo could remember another time and place and another redhead. Gritting his teeth, he strode across the tavern, determined to not to let the ghosts of the past take over.

11. The Kilted Crusader

Now Three Swords truly was surprised "You're Alexa from the Violet Marauder? You're something of a legend around these parts."

He nodded to himself, "I'm glad to have you as part of the crew Alexa. Indeed, I'm honoured to have someone of such a reputation as a surgeon aboard my ship. Meet me at the Pale horse tomorrow before midday and you may sign the Articles. Now, if you please, may you excuse me, I must return to my game."

12. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Alexa smiled. "Aye, I am Alexa."

She inclined her head slightly and started to move off. "I shall be there, Captain. It has been far too long that I have not been on the open sea, and I look forward to sailing again."

With that, she returned to her table, a smile crossing her face. She would be at sea again.

13. Arabwel

Media:
    Ricardo did not spare a glance at the redhead when she walked away. Instead, he concentrated on the captain sitting at the table. The man looked imposing qnd competent, if young, but Ricardo knew quite well to not to trust appearances.

“Captain Abbot?”

14. The Kilted Crusader

Three Swords dropped a few silvers into the centre of the table as he heard his name. His hand dropped to one of the pistols in his belt as he turned his head to the voice.

The man had a swarthy look to him, dark of hair and eyes. An italian or a spaniard, he thought, definately someone from the mediterranian. This man was a rarity in Freetown, he was well dressed and very clean. He glanced at the rapier that hung by the man's side. Not a weapon carried by your usual Freetown regular.

"That's me." he said, drawing the pistol stealthily. He was still unsure of what to make of this stranger.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    RIcardo smirked at the man.

"I would have a word with you, Captain... I am in need of a passage out of Freetown."

As he spoke., he twisted his arm slightly to make sure that if need be, he'd have a dagger in his hand in less than a blink.

16. The Kilted Crusader

Three Swords sipped his grog and shook his head, "The Pale Horse is not a passenger ship. If you want to take a trip on my vessel, you'd best join the crew and wait until I see fit to take you where you want to go... or pay me a very heavy purse to take the time out of my voyage." Abbot placed the mug back on the table, using the clunk it made to hide the soft click of his pistol as he cocked it.

17. Arabwel

Media:
    “Your ship is far more heavily armed than most ships in Freetown, an that is why I am talking to you, Captain;” Ricardo told him. “You are obviously a competent man, Captain, and not born yesterday.. so een if I told you that after delivering me to my destination you would be paid handsomely, you would decline my offer.”

He waited for a moment, trying to discern if flattery had any effect on the Captain.

”I am no stranger to the seaman’s trade, Captain…nor to a pirate’s. I am willing to work my way out of Freetown if need be.”

18. The Kilted Crusader

Three Swords sighed as he thought on what this man had said. He had doubted this man would have accepted his offer to join the crew, but he did not seem to be lying about having served on board a ship. The rough callouses upon his slim fingers were tale enough of friction burns suffered through years of hauling on the many ropes found aboard any ship.

"I see. You seem like you know your way around a ship, I wonder though, if we should find ourselves at battle, how would you defend yourself with a grandmother's knitting needle?" he said, indicating the rapier.

19. Arabwel

Media:
    Ricardo’s eyes flashed, and his shoulders tensed. “My blade is of finest Toledo steel, Captain,” he told the man coldly. “I wield it well. Do not be deceived by appearances.”

For a moment, he debated drawing his dagger to prove that he did not trust only his rapier, but something in the way the captain was looking at him held him back. He had not checked if the Captain had any guards scattered in the tavern, for one; a foolish mistake he would have not done anywhere else.

20. The Kilted Crusader

"If you say so." Three Swords said sub-consciously noticing that this man was one of a very proud nature - and short tempered one. Two qualities that could lead this man into trouble - and Abbot's, if he allowed it - but his skill with a blade would come in useful. Time would tell whether this man would help or hinder him.

"I hope that you are right, though." Abbot said, his eyes squinting a little as he thought over his decision "Your skills may be needed aboard ship, so join me at the Pale Horse tomorrow morning and we'll sign the articles. Agreed?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.