1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates Return OoC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by The Kilted Crusader, Jul 31, 2005.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Welcome to Pirates Return, a sequel RP to Takara’s Pirates: A New Beginning found here (Sadly, it was unfinished and abandoned):

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/11/234.html#000000

and

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/11/235.html#000000

Since it is unfinished, I hope it is ok with all the players if I do a little epilogue to try to round it up.

By the end Arvin DeGrath defeated Marius and Black Pete in seperate naval battle. Against Black Pete, Arvin and several others launched a night attack in a single longboat after many days of chase under the noses of both Pete and Marius. They slaughtered the crew in their sleep and hung Black Pete after a vicious duel between the two adversaries. Arvin left Sol in charge of Black Pete’s ship and returned to the Marauder. Within the hour, Sol sent Black Pete’s ship into an intercepting course with Marius and in the confusion of the crash, Arvin boarded the Devastation. The crews fought hard, but the battle lasted but a few sparse minutes in which many of both crews died. Halvn was found with a tulwar in his belly, Lark had been hung over the side by his legs over the side, Reeves wounded nigh to death and Marius captured in a surprising move by the sawbones, Alexa.

Diego was shot and lost his leg in the later amputation. Sol was found bleeding to death next to Halvn, having been systematically cut to pieces by the better swordsman but was patched up by the sawbones Alexa. Arvin had taken Marius blade just above his hip. He was lucky to not have hit any major organs and lived through the later surgery.

In the aftermath, Marius and Reeves were marooned together with a single pistol and single shot. As the marauder sailed away, there was the distant crack of a pistol being discharged. It was unknown to anyone what happened on the island.

Arvin gave up on pirating and left the annals of pirate history after marrying Alexa. In his final act as captain, Arvin gifted his ship, The Violet Marauder to the Quarter Master, Sol who continued a successful pirating occupation for twelve years before he was captured and hung for piracy along with his First Mate and Master Gunner Diego. Lark was found by a merchant ship that found the adrift Devastation. He made his way to Freetown and was later employed by Sol as Boatswain on the Marauder.

The Violet Marauder was taken and decommissioned and sits at dock in the port town of Leath.

We return to the late 17th century and the golden age of piracy again with a new ship, a new crew and new characters.

Use this thread for characters and OoC discussions. If you have comments or complaints on how the RP is being run you can post them here as well.

I’ll start with my character:

Captain John ‘Three Swords’ Abbot

History

Abbot was born in a Founding Home (orphanage) in the city of Perth, Scotland, to a whore and an unknown seaman. His mother died a week later from the fever that had taken her after the birth.

He grew up in the Founding Home, constantly beaten with anything from a whip to the Bible and living on a pitiful diet of stale bread and oats. This life made him hard in both body and spirit and often has little time for others than himself or likeminded people – it certainly takes an impressive gesture to make him trust you.

At the age of eleven he was bought from the Founding home by a captain to serve as a cabin boy until he was fifteen when he ran away for four years he made a far more comfortable life as a mugger and a house robber in several towns across the Islands. At the age of nineteen, after a heavy night of drinking, he woke up on board a ship at sea and found out he had joined the Merchant Navy the night before. With little choice in the manner, other than to be shot, John learnt the skills needed to become an able seaman, showing talent in almost all aspects and was soon promoted to Midshipman. All the while though, he was planning a way to get out of the navy and it’s harsh discipline. He found a way after eight years of sea battles against pirates who sought to gain the precious cargo the ship carried. He made a deal with the captain of the pirate ship the Pale Horse. He showed them the course of their next voyage and the perfect time of attack.

When the ship reached the appointed destination, John set fire to the sail and destroyed the rudder chain, leaving the ship dead in the water and giving the pirates a great advantage over the other ship, one which they took wholeheartedly, slaughtering the crew and taking the ship and it’s cargo whole. The Pirates took the merchant ship to Freetown and sold it and allowed John to join the crew. It has been during the last five years of Piracy that he gained the name ‘Three Swords’ due to always carrying three cutlass blades upon his person because he does not wish to die should he be disarmed of two blades during battle. He has also gained a reputation for earning his captaincy so quickly.

In truth it was more luck than anything, seeing as the Captain and Quartermaster were both killed recently in a botched take of a merchant ship. The ship had struck lucky with a spread shot from their cannon and caught both men, killing them instantly. John had simply stepped up and taken command, not truly knowing what he was doing other than he that he thought he was the only one thinking straight after the cannon fire. It was in this fight that he lost his right eye.

After that, he was voted to the Captaincy and forced himself to swiftly learn what it takes to command.

Appearance

Three Swords is a tall man at 6’ 3” tall with broad shoulders honed from hard work and sword swinging. He has long dark hair, held back in a braid. He’s bearded and has an eye patch over his right eye that loops under his right ear and over the left. He is reasonably handsome with a strong jaw and bright blue eye ( ;) ) .

He wears a faded dark green overcoat and a waistcoat of the same colour with a white shirt and dark trousers. On his feet he wears knee length boots with a fold at the top. He also carries two iron hilted cutlasses upon his back, the sheaths crossing one another and a third hangs almost horizontally with only a slight angle hooked to his belt. He also carries two pistols, tucked into the front of his belt.

Personality

Three Swords can be cold in his demeanour, but is very friendly to those he likes – for these are the people he trusts wholeheartedly. He isn’t bothered by the more fashionable dress of other captains and cares less for fancy swordplay. After people meet him, most agree they’d rather not cross him.

You don’t have to write a bio quite so long (I just enjoy character creation far too much ;) ).

When you create your character, keep in mind that I want a bunch of dirty, underhanded, scum-bellied, gutter living, sea dogs so make them that way! You’re pirates after all, not Errol Flynn in his tights (butch or what?).

I’m enforcing rules from the start of this RP, please read them and keep them in mind as you play. These are:

1. No Uber posting. Powergaming is NOT allowed. If you cant post realistically, please don’t bother posting. It's no fun, if your character is limited by realism, and someone else has "god" mode on.

2. If your character happens to start a fight with another player’s character, the combat will have to be discussed between the two of you, it’s not fun if someone kills your character without consulting you – there are always ways to avoid it, so use them.

3. If a DM gives you a warning for disobeying the rules such as power gaming or acting like a git and you fail to heed the warning, your character will be punished appropriately and you may be evicted from the RP.

4. If a character is disguised or carrying a hidden weapon, you cannot instantly notice it or suspect something, like in a former RP when someone had been in a disguise for eight years and fooled everyone until they met all the other characters who suddenly saw through it. It doesn’t happen that way and I’ll consider it a mild form of power gaming.

5. Don't take control of someone elses character without their permission

6. If you want to leave the RP, you must write your character out.

7. Have fun – or I will come to your house and fight you :p

Arrr!

[ December 12, 2005, 17:03: Message edited by: The Kilted Crusader ]

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ooh, I am SOOOOOO in! :D :D :D

Here be the character:

Don Ricardo De La Santiago

History:
    Not much is known of Don Ricardo’s past; he does not divulge anything voluntarily, and those who ask never ask twice. However, it is clear that he is a scion of a noble family, hailing from Spain, and that he has travelled far and wide. He is a skilled seaman and a deadly fighter, and many say that he still mourns for a lost love… that his past is filled with tragedy.

He has arrived in Freetown very recently, when the ship he was travelling on suffered in a storm and had to dock for repairs. Too impatient to wait for them to be finished, he broke his arrangement with the captain and is now looking for alternate means of continuing his journey.

Appearance

Don Ricardo is not physically imposing, standing at mere 5’10 and being of lean build. However, despite his fine, almost pretty features, Don Ricardo has intensity to him that makes up for his lack of size. Despite being on his early forties, Don Ricardo’s hair is coal-black and thick, worn long. It frames a tanned face that shows the signs of many years spent at sea, with thick eyelashes framing cold, dark eyes. Sometimes, the movements of his right arm are hampered, as if by scars.

He dresses richly, in clothes very appropriate for a nobleman, always in the latest fashions and often in stark shades of black and white. He carries a rapier and a dagger in plain sight, and several other knives where they cannot be seen. He does not wear jewellery, except for a single ruby ring on his left hand.

Personality:

Don Ricardo is ruthless, arrogant, and quick to anger. A cold, cruel man, he takes pleasure in the suffering of others. But he is also a man of his word, even if he will use any means necessary to achieve his goals. He keeps his promises, no matter the cost – to himself or to others. He is not one to indulge, not with alcohol nor with women of loose virtue, for what reason, no one knows.

3. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ill cut a slice of this for myself :D .

Name: Zheng Hui
    Appearance: Chinese in appearance, 5’8’’ Tall, with black/brown hair which reaches the nape of his neck and is tied in a small ponytail to keep the hair from his eyes. He wars slightly baggy black trousers which is tied with a red silk sash tied almost at his right hand side. He wears a black waistcoat with blue trim and black buttons. He wars it hanging open over no shirt revealing his muscled torso. On his back is a lather scabbard containing his Chinese broadsword. Approximately 3’6’’ to 4’ long. It has a leather grip and two red ribbons are tied to the bottom of the grip and are each 6 inches long.

Background: Born in China, Zheng grew up on his father’s farm, his mother had died in childbirth. Working in the paddy fields and tending to his father’s animals life was for the most part good. His father died of cancer when Zheng was thirteen. He left the farm shortly afterwards when his uncle conned him out of the inheritance he should have been left. He was taken in after four months moving around the eastern empire by a man called Liu who ran a school. After six years of vigorous training he began to grow frustrated with his Master scolding and constant disappointment in him. While sparring with real weaponry he was thrown to the ground after being beaten. He stood up and thrust the broadsword through his masters back piercing a lung. He left soon after and made his way to Freetown by working on various ships going from port to port. He had various odds and jobs when he got there travelling around the surrounding places which built his strength further. He soon discovered that his mediocre skill(when compared to others of the disciplines) with the Chinese broadsword seemed impressive to the people of Freetown and turned his hand to becoming a street urchin and pickpocket. Unfortunately he has gambled everything he has or spent it on drink. It’s a miracle he hasn’t pawned his sword the only thing he has of value.

Personality: Zheng has little regard for others and has kept himself at a distance form people since the unfortunate incident with his master. He loathes entertaining dumb crowds but keeps telling himself the money he earns from it and pick-pocketing makes up for it. He can be cruel and bad tempered if someone gives him just the slightest excuse(just ask Master Liu!) Pain is something he relishes in causing. He has no mercy or tolerance for those who are racist against his asian heritage. He has little care for anything other than money or his sword which he prizes above everything else, even his own life. However of the few friends he has allowed himself to have he protects them with his life and sword.

[ July 31, 2005, 19:02: Message edited by: Lawless ]

4. The Kilted Crusader

Lawless, don't take control of other peoples characters - especially mine, ya scurvy git! I'll let you off, though - but I would liked to have RPed that part myself.

BTW, I forgot to mention that this is set fifteen years after the original.

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm in! :D

Alexa

History:

Alexa doesn't know much about her past, just that her father was a man of medicine and her mother died in childbirth. Growing up, she had an unusual fascination for both medicine and explosions. She became a competent medic, learning from various doctors in Freetown.

She also began experimenting with different combinations of chemicals and gunpowder to create powerful explosives.

She was kidnapped by a pirate, along with several other women, and tortured and used for several days. The other women killed themselves, but Alexa escaped, swearing vengance. A month later, she realised that she was pregnant.

She signed on with Arvin DeGrath and the Violet Maurader, seeking to flee from the horrors that Freetown had held.

After the two married, they returned to Freetown, and Alexa set up shop again as a doctor and continued to make explosives, while Arvin enjoyed his retirement. She gave birth to a son, Daniel, a reminder of what she had experienced at the hands of the pirate who had captured and tortured her.

Two years ago, Arvin died peacefully in his sleep. Alexa, stunned, closed her practice for a time, and sent her son to work at the Rotten Kelp.

Now out of mourning, she is looking to get back into the pirating life that she had enjoyed for so short a time.

Personality

Alexa is very solitary, mainly because few are able to understand her fascination with both healing and destruction. She has a firey temper that can flare up when she is provoked, or when someone insinuates that she is not strong enough to be a doctor or a member of a pirate ship.

She is unwilling to be involved in one-on-one battles, however, she is very skilled in the use of daggers and pistols.

Appearance and Dress

Alexa has thick red hair that reaches to just below her shoulders, however she always has it pulled back, to keep it out of the way of any possible fires. She is 5'8", with a slender build, and hazel eyes. She looks to be in her mid to late 30s, and her skin is starting to show signs of ageing.

She has many scars on her wrists and one on the back of her neck, which she keeps covered with her hair.

She wears slightly singed pants and loose tops, due to the many explosions she causes while experimenting. She keeps a pistol in plain sight on her hip, but also has several daggers concealed on her person, including one special one that she has had for fifteen years.

She doesn't care about how her clothes look, but she does care about cleanliness.

Edit: If anyone wants to take on the role of Daniel, go ahead.

[ July 31, 2005, 22:55: Message edited by: Laiwethel ]

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    My oh my, who would have thought that the original PotS all those years ago would spawn so many sequels...

7. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Kilty! Kilty! KILTY! please let me in. I've been longing for a new Pirate, and for some good RPer's too. ;) If you let me in, I might take a wee while to post a character. Tell me, though. If I can play, do you want Lark to be back from ANB or can/should I begin anew? Please let me play!

*Begs*

[ August 01, 2005, 09:57: Message edited by: Lantus ]

8. The Kilted Crusader

Of course you can join, Lantus. Just post your character here and introduce him in the IC thread.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm in, at least as a bit part until you decide that I'm needed for more.

Name: Matty Groves
    Appearance: Small and scrawny, rather unkempt. Ragged brown hair, shifty eyes that look anywhere but in the eyes of the person he's talking to. Entirely unremarkable.

History: Matty is the ship's piper. He started out as a cabin boy until his musical talent was discovered - he can get a tune out of anything. Matty's mother died when he was 2 and he grew up with his father on a fishing boat. That boat was one day attacked by pirates; Dad was killed and Matty taken. He's on his third ship, having been traded about like loot a few times.

Personality: Matty's a sneak who wants revenge on the pirate who killed his Da. If he knew about Gollum, he'd have a hero.

10. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thanks to Alexa for literally and figuratively creating my character for me.

Name: Daniel

Daniel is the bastard son of Alexa and a pirate. Alexa had married Captain Arvin DeGrath after the adventure with Black Pete and Marius, and she was already pregnant with Daniel at the time.
    Daniel knows that his real father is not Arvin, but he doesn't know who his father is. Alexa thinks that the pirate who captured, tortured and raped her is dead.
    He was brought up by Alexa and Arvin until two years ago, when Arvin died of natural causes. After that, Alexa brought him to Bart at the Rotten Kelp so he could have some semblance of a father figure while he was going through his adolescence. At the Rotten Kelp, he acts as a runner for Bart, passing news to the shadier members of Freetown as to which captains are recruiting.
    Daniel is 14 with dark hair with reddish undertones and hazel eyes.
    He has no experience onboard a ship, but he has heard tales from both Alexa and Arvin. He has some skill with knives, having been somewhat taught by both parents how to knife fight.
    He has been helping Alexa occasionally when she's operating, but is far from ready to perform an operation on his own.

[ August 01, 2005, 16:48: Message edited by: Scot ]

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Possessions: Matty doesn't like to get his hands dirty, so he uses a sling and darts in combat. He's not above poisons if/when he can get them. The closest he'll get to hand-to-hand combat is using a garrote. Of course, he owns a knife or two but he's more likely to use them for carving reeds than drawing blood. Over the years he's scrounged up a flute, a bugel-like horn, a fiddle, a few small drums, and some assorted pipes. No one cares to argue with him when he adopts any instrument that happens to come aboard a ship, nor do they notice when those instruments leave with him.

Memories and revenge keep him moving; Music is the only thing he loves.

12. Lawless Gems: 6/31

Sorry about that Kilty.

13. The Kilted Crusader

Don't worry about it Lawless, just don't do it again. BTW, I just want to mention that if you can avoid posting one word answers as though you were in an IRC RP, do so. Try for at least four lines, just to give your post a little substance. Thanks, folks :)

14. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Here goes...

Jacques Vendelin

Appearance: 6'3", thin, with gaunt features and straight, dark hair.

History: Having left the South of France with his father at thirteen, Jacques has never since returned home. His father's trading ship was boarded by Pirates of the Red Hand two weeks into the voyage - his last memories of the battle are his father shouting at him to run down the hold, being surrounded by a knot of pirates, and waking half-drowned in the wreckage of a rowboat on a beach 3 miles from the town of Freetown. For the last decade, Jacques has been making his living as an apprentice to a blacksmith, becoming a keen hand a forging knives, which he makes use of to great effect if anyone becomes overly suspicious of his signet ring during his games of blackjack. He takes care, however, not to use it to cheat more than his opposition. Normally content to keep to himself, Jacques also keeps an eye out for the rare merchant ship daring to pass through the town, looking to get hold of any new books or maps for his small collection.

15. The Kilted Crusader

Lawless, I had to take control of your character a little there so I could keep the RP rolling. I'm allowed to do it as cap'n of the RP :p

16. Lawless Gems: 6/31

that's ok Kilty. (Git) ;)

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'll join if it's alright.

Name: Duecelion (Duece) Purcell

Appearence: Standing a little under 6 feet, Duec weighs around 170p. He is slender but muscular. He has short black hair, and dark brown eyes to match. He wears a pair of black pants that are a little baggy and are quite comfortable along with a black vest that has silver trimmings. He barely ever actually buttons the vest, as he prefers to leave it open to show off his tattoos. His chest and stomach are a patch work of tattoos, rangeing from Sailors Sparrows to cross that sits in the middle of his chest above his abdomen and in between his pecs. On his left forearm there is a tattoo of a nautical star, and on his right from his elbow up past his shoulder and onto his neck is a myriad of flames.

History/Personality: Somehow Duece always seems to have a full coin purse, it could be because he is a skilled pickpocket when he wants to be, or it could be from the cache of money he's horded since he was a homeless street urchin. He is never afriad to spend money, especially when it comes to his favourite activity; drinking and tavern girls. Armed only with the two daggers that he keeps in leather sheaths on his wrists Duece is quite happy, being viewed as a lay about and a rogue.

18. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Name: Olson Kring

History: Olson’s story is a short, simple one. He had a very average life in his childhood years. His family was neither rich nor poor, and he worked with his father at a local inn in the town he had been brought up in, Moodstlak. However, the family had changed when Olson grew up and was admitted into a navy force of the local area. Sure, the four boat navy that protected the town was a small force, but the pay was good. He was officially a sailor, and he and his fellow crewmen had a simply life protecting the seas just around the small Moodtalk. The main problem was pirates, but they were rarely seen in the area. Nor were any other ships, as a matter of fact, for Moodstalk wasn’t a trading town. However, after over a year of serving the small navy, Olson Kring had his first encounter with pirates. A large vessel, bigger than any of the Moodstalk boats, had stormed straight into the town’s main bay. In reply, Olson and his crewmen stormed the enemy vessel with their weapons drawn. Olson, unfortunately, was one of the three who survived and was taken prisoner. After three months at see as a prisoner to the pirate scum, and after seeing his tow fellow sailors be slowly tortured to death, Olson was given a choice. He was to join the pirate crew, or be marooned on an island the pirates already ah din mind. Of course, Kring joined the crew. After another week at sea, the ship, the Scarlet Serpent, took up refuge in Freetown while the crew was replenished and the ship repaired a little. This was when Olson had made his escape and began his life on the streets. It was hard at first, but soon Kring had developed some skills and slowly blended into the harsh society of rogues.

Appearance: Olson is an average looking man. He is an average height and weighs average weight. Nothing exceptional about the man. Olson has long brown hair and typical brown eyes. A bushy mustache that was more like an unkempt beard of brown clouded his face. He is usually wearing large boots that he had kept from the navy, and also presents a long, curving scimitar upon his back. However, the sword is just a hollow threat that has never been used. As far as fighting goes, Olson is a looker but not a man of action.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    [​IMG] It has come to my attention that there's a LARGE amount of piratey chat happening in the FAI. While I'm guilty of participating, this is bad for a bunch of reasons:

1) It takes over the channel with talk that drives away folks who aren't participating in the RP. This sucks hugely.

2) It leaves out RPers who can't get to #sorcerers for any number of reasons.

3) It takes away from the spontenaity of the RP thread, if folks are planning interactions.

PROPOSED SOLUTION: Keep the vast majority of discussions about the RP here, where they belong. Limit talk about the RP in the channel to "you gonna post soon?" or "posted". If you MUST discuss something with another player, do it in query.

Please try.

20. The Kilted Crusader

Rally's right, it's not fair on the other players.

A quick note, I wanted the Pale Horse to leave dock today, but because of the differing time zones, I'll leave it until the tomorrow morning so everyone can post.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.