1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pirates Return OoC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by The Kilted Crusader, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
  2. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sorry for not posting in the past few days. School's been crazy already. I'll likely post this afternoon.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I left my post open-ended for two reasons:

1) I haven't had time to come up with Leftenant Corwallis's song. All I know is that it's full of allusions that sound like metaphors until you put it in the context of a tresure hunt.

2) I want to encourage other people to chime in - Cornwallis is an NPC, after all. He's been rather useful but I don't necessarily want him to become too important, or even solely mine. If anyone has an idea for what his song should say, feel free to post it. I'll play with it too, and if no one has done anything by the time I'm done, I'll post mine.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Sorry for not posting in a while folks, I've been pretty busy with college and other stuff. I'll try to get back into posting regularly soon.

5. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Fine, fine, char description :p

Valerie Damien

History: Valerie never knew her father - although her mother probably knew who it was, she wasn't telling, and eventually the girl grew up not to care, as her mother grew up to fulfill both roles for her. She is French through her mother and grew up in various port cities throughout the Carribean, constantly moving from place to place due to her unique family.

To understand Val, you need to understand Melisande Damien. Melisa, throughout most of her lifetime, bore the title of "the Queen of Swords", or "la Reine d'Acier". The Queen is a notorious female adventurer who crops up in many near-mythical stories for periods that span hundreds of years, and is therefore assumed to be a fictional figure; in fact, the phrase is no more than a title, passed on from one woman to another.

Valerie was raised to be Melisa's heir from a young age, and therefore took in both swordplay and all forms of deceit along with her mother's milk. However, despite having been a freelancer most of her adult life, she is burdened by a peculiar sense of honor, and therefore she will not act to betray anyone she feels worthy of respect. That does not prevent her from winning huge sums of money off drunken noblemen using less than legitimate gambling techniques. The education her mother provided her enables her to move freely between worlds, passing herself as a gentlewoman when she needs to.

Her mother's death from a wasting disease when she was in her late teens has been a turning-point in her life. The Queen of Swords is tradionally a Windmaster, but this is a title that is earned rather than confirmed, and the only information her mother was able to provide her when she realized that she would not recover from her illness was to find a "key" possessed by a man named Solomon; she has been looking for him ever since, hoping that the secrets of the Wavemasters will be able to lead her to her own Windmaster legacy, so that she can at last be fully entitled to the position she has inherited.

In one port, she met Blind Berrik, and found herself at odds with him in the aftermath of a poker game - one of the few that she has bothered to play fairly, at that. While a competent fighter, he was no match for a swordswoman relying on speed rather than strength, and was forced to yield after her blade tore open his forehead and running blood blinded him. What Valerie wasn't aware of was Berrik's affiliation with the Red Hand. The pirates now inevitably seek to kill her wherever she is spotted, although her constant travel under a variety of aliases and personas has made it easy for her to lay low.

For five years now, she has been traveling and searching.

Appearance: Valerie is of medium height with a curvy figure that has often managed to get her where words and blades cannot. Her hair is brown, with streaks of red, and is usually braided back when she is traveling. She favors comfortable clothes when she is not dressing to fit some part or other, but will never be without the slim rapier that she wields with deadly efficiency carried openly or hiddenly on her person. She also tends to carry a variety of lockpicks, and her most recent ill-gotten monetary gains; unfortunately, her constant moving from port to port in search of Solomon means that money is no sooner acquired than spent.

Temperament: Valerie possesses a forceful personality, yet another legacy of her formidable mother. She makes a strong distinction between fools and people worthy of respect, and treats each accordingly; she admires intelligence, competence, and strength, but despises arrogance and lechery. Normally, she speaks politely, and is quick to laugh, but there is no quicker way to anger her than to be rude without provocation, or to treat her like a common prostitute. However, she has iron self-control, knowing well that it is more effective to think clearly and react accordingly, saving revenge for a later time, than to fly into a blind rage.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Much yayaness :banana: :p

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

*smirk* Man, Val has managed to (ahem) EVERYONE off in her short time in the crew. For what it's worth, she's lousy with treating people as people for any extended length of time...try to re-educate her NICELY please ;)

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm giving in to temptation, and joining up in the RP.

Name:Andrew Marchés
    Appearance: 5'8, messy shoulder-length black hair, unshaven.
    History: Andrew is 1/2 French, 1/2 English. He was born in France, and joined the navy early in his life. When the ship he was serving on was attacked by the Dark Tide, a pirate ship, he was taken prisoner and lived as a slave before escaping at a port in the south of Spain.

For around 8 months, he lived in the small town, stealing anything he could. He was mugged soon after arriving at the port, and this motivated him to steal a cutlass off of a very drunk pirate. Since then, he has continued to live the life of a thief and a mugger, before finally stepping onto the Pale Horse.

Currently, he is in the cells of the Red Hand occupied ship.

Andrew is an adept fighter, but prefers pistols and staying away from blades. he gets a "rush" from the smell and sound of cannons, and can usually be found on the gun deck during battles.

His loyalty is questionable at best. He looks out for himself, and he's slow to forget a grudge. On the other hand, he also remembers favours done for him.

9. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Brutus is just a thug of LeBihan's that I thought I'd RP for the coming battle, while Daniel is out in dreamland. He's tall, well muscled, bald shaven, and wears leather breaches and a large leather belt slung across his chest. He uses two large battle axes, and has a big knife too. Feel free to kill him after I have a little fun with him.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Alistair's always been a great bubbling cauldron of Queen references, and in fact that was an aspect that was included in his original design. I've already slipped some in previously - off the top of my head, I've used All Dead and maybe It's Late. However, this latest post has no less than six references. See if you can spot them all...

11. The Kilted Crusader

heh, I didn't even notice until I read it through a second time. I spotted a couple, but I can only put a name to one. Is there a line to" '39 " in there?

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Yep, good job. That would be "Here the ships sailed out to the blue and sunny morn".

The other ones are:
    -White Queen (name of the ship, a song)
    -Seaside Rendevous (also a song)
    -Good Company (ditto)
    -Some Day, One Day (ditto)
    -Love of His Life - Love of My Life is a song...

If you're wondering, I did just went to browse the song names and random select phrases. :p

13. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll post tomorrow, I've just had grave difficulties concerning how I could take on the situation from here :rolling: , but I think I've come up wiht something :thumb:

14. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @TKC: We kind of killed that guy...

15. The Kilted Crusader

Oh, I missed that. It's edited now.

16. The Kilted Crusader

I'll let the folk on the Pale Horse fight it out for themselves for a bit - I'd like to see how you guys fare and I want to concentrate on the other battle, for now.

17. The Kilted Crusader

Sorry for my lack of posting folks, I have a gig in three weeks and I need to learn around thirty tunes in that time, and I have another gig a few weeks after that. With that and college I'll be strapped for time for posting.

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'd like to point out that I arranged the attack with Scot in the first place, so don't bash him for harming my character seriously and whatnot. No, I'm not trying to leave. I don't want to die! I'm just trying to put flavour into my character! Plot advancement! And stuff.

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    You know, it's a real shame Arvin has been killed off, though Lai did a really nice job of it, thanks. :)
    Still it prevents a brief cameo. Would love to join in long term, but I'm not online anywhere near enough, so sadly I must pass. :(

20. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Heh, thanks Tak :) . We'd have liked to have had Arvin reappear, but you weren't around and we needed to do something about him. Sorry about that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.