1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

playing a ps1 game on a ps2

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I asked somebody if it would work and if there were noticable differences and he said that the differences wouldn't really be noticed but that it would run.

Here's my problem. I tried running my FFVII in my PS2 and the opening cinematic ran fine. Now just to jog your memories, the opening cinematic ends with a "transition cinematic" in which Cloud, Barret and the others get out of a train and those word balloons start appearing over their heads. Mine jams at the start of the transition cinematic. They haven't even jumped outta the train yet and the damn game hangs :mad:

is there anything I can do to make the game run? any setting I have to change?

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's most likely not because it's a PS2, since I have played FFVII on mine.

Seems more likely that the disc is faulty or your PS2 has issues.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, but the FFVII works on my ps1, so it can't be that it's destroyed. :confused:

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe your PS2 is having issues then, like old firmware or something. The only thing [to do] is mod it, even though I'm not sure would that even work... You might want to try and check if PS2 has a start-up menu by booting without a disc. Or however it is done on it -only know NGC. :xx:

[ July 18, 2005, 11:30: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

how would a start-up menu look like wirhe? when i start up with no cd but with a memory card the ps2 allows me to access the memory card to view/delete the current files saved inside. iirc when i start with no cd or memory card an image of a black rectangle (presumably the ps2) appears on screen and i can access it but i don't really remember what's in it. is there some setting i can adjust?

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Beats me. If there isn't such menu, guess the game is done for. Check out the manual first, though. ;)

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

gah! Guess I'll just have to play it on the ps1. I was hoping to play it on the ps2 bec my old ps1 memory cards are messed up.. guess I'll just have to borrow from a friend :/

8. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

You can't save to a PS2 memory card anyway, you would need a PS1 one since PS1 games can't read the 8MB ones.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ohh, thanks. good thing it didn't work then :D wouldve hated to start then find out i couldnt save :D

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Of course, if you get ePSXe and play on your computer, you get enhanced graphics and instant-saves. I own FF7 too, but not the console. ;)

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ePSXe?

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

http://www.epsxe.com/

"Enhanced Playstation X Emulator."

Install, set it up, and play. IIRC, it requires a bit of tinkering with the settings for FF7 to work correctly.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, cool. Too bad it's impossible to find a PC (or even PS for that matter) copy of FFVII nowadays short of online :sigh:

14. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

It's an emulator.

It plays Playstation games on your PC. So you put your FFVII disc into your CDROM drive and play away, using your hard drive as a memory card.

It rocks :)

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh.. Excellent :)

yeah, I feel kinda stupid now for my previous post :o

but its ok :D

.edit.

not to sound stupid again but what version do i download? there's one for win32 and one for linux and a lot of old versions but none for windowsxp...

[ July 21, 2005, 05:31: Message edited by: Enagonios ]

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I'll make this easy for you:

1) Download THIS. It's my copy of ePSXe with the right plug-ins. Extract the zip file where you want.

2) Then go to the graphic plug-in settings and if you have a decend machine, set it up like THIS. Of course, 1280x is the native resolution of my 17" flat-screen, so it might be different on your PC. Also, check and enable FF7 special fixes.

3) Choose "Eternal SPU" sound plug-in, "Mooby" CD-ROM plug-in, and config your gamepad if you have one.

I'll keep these online until Sunday (24/07/2005).

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks Wirhe. I was able to download it but everytime I try and activate the epsxe.exe it gives an error message saying that it cant start bec burutter.dll was not found :confused:

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Ah, well; guess the ePSXe setup added that to a separate folder. Just download the official (win32) setup and install it to the same folder. You should have the necessary plug-ins and whatnot ready there.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

argh :eek:

sorry to keep bothering you with this wirhe. anyway, i downloaded the win32 version like you said, and then when i activated the ePSXe, it wouldn't allow me to access the config because i didn't have a file called scph7502. so i looked for the driver on the net and registered at driverguide.com just to get the damn thing. but i still get the same error message when i try to access the config. i saved the driver into my ePSXe folder but I can't open it either because it says that it's part of a program and only that program can open the file..

got any advice for me? I sure could use it :) :eek:

20. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

That is not a driver, it is the BIOS file of a Playstation (I think that's the UK one). Put it into the ePSXe/BIOS folder and you should be set.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.