1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Police officer says 'no'

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5408470.stm

A British Muslim policeman was asked to guard the Israeli embassy during the Lebanon conflict and refused his duty because he did not agree with Israeli or US foriegn policy.

I think a policeman should do exactly what he's told to do to the best of his ability. Personal feeligns or biases should not come into it.

What do you reckon?

2. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Agreed.

I'm sure that African American policemen who are posted as guards for KKK rallies don't particularly enjoy or appreciate assignments such as those either, but Police Officers have a duty to protect regardless of whether or not they agree with the opinions or policies of those they protect. As the article said, "we can't pick and choose."

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Should do the orders unless they are against positive or natural law. But he could have asked to be given a different assignment and I think he should be granted that.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think he should be well within his rights to refuse if he believes it to be a morally wrong thing - unquestioning obediance traditionally leads to Bad Things happening.

'Murder these people!'
    'But...!'
    'You can't pick and choose!'

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I agree with the sentiments Aikanaro has touched upon...but I'm afraid those are not completely valid in this case.

IMO, religion is a non-issue as far as police forces are concerned. If you are going to discriminate, saying "I'm Muslim and I will not guard the Israeli embassy!" then the day is not far off when you will say "I am Muslim and I will not arrest that Muslim bomber because I agree with his policies!" :rolleyes:

Again I say...no picking and choosing when it comes to things like this!

6. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

If, in fact, all he did was request to be reassigned, I'm prone to believe nothing wrong was done here. It would be different if he had just refused to do his job.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It kind of makes you wonder how the Muslim police officer would feel if he was terminated from his job for failure to fulfill his duties. I'm guessing he would sue. I'm also guessing there would be riots. With this in mind, my guess is that the British police force will do nothing except cave.

8. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The reason why I am chaotic ;)

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't think his reasons were valid. There was still a chance that innocent people working in the building might have been hurt. Part of his job is to protect people and keep the peace. Guarding the people has nothing to do with politics or foreign policy.

I might think Scientology is a complete load of steaming goat manure, but if I was a policeman I would still protect Scientologists from being murdered or robbed, because their loopy beliefs have nothing to do with their rights to be protected from criminals.

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

He's a police officer, he swore to uphold the law and his superiors. His duty is to the law, not the politics between countries and the ethics of those policies.

If he called for another assignment then he has the right to say he'd prefer to operate somewhere else but it doesn't mean that his commanders MUST give him the other assignment. If he's not prepared to uphold the law in all circumstances then he shouldn't have become a policeman.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

It's just like a doctor refusing to treat someone who disagrees with his/her outlook. While I think that people should be able to go against their orders if they think they are morally wrong, or go against their person/religious belief, in this case I can't see that he was justified.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Right-ho -- I mean, that's just the real world for you, isn't it? If you don't do what people want you to do, then why are they going to give you money for it? (Feel free to restrict this statement to jobs, however.)

Well certainly -- the policeman is within his rights to refuse guarding Israelis; his employer is also within his rights to fire him. (Barring a contract or something, but I'd doubt you get that much with policemen.)

EDIT -- the article says he was reassigned anyhow, so I guess there's not much space for protest anyhow.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

He asked for reassignment, was granted it, ... where's the story? Reassignments happen all the time, for various reasons. This one is no less worthy a reason than any other.

14. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I think you missed my point, and if you didn't, than I just don't get it. Why should they fire him just because he asked to be reassigned? Look, I'm not saying that he refused to do the job(see the sentence I quote on my last post), that would be a whole other issue.

That it's exactly my point. ;)

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Well then there's no story and it's an example of common-sense prevailing over all.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe I failed to imply that I was speaking in a general sense, but I think the rest of my previous post says that if he was just reassigned -- well, then where is the big deal? It's just that if the policemand had refused, then there is nothing wrong with firing him. So I was agreeing with you, but then just went on my own tangent.

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I didn't see anyone post it though I'm sure it was in the article:

1)He asked to be re-assigned during the bombardment of Lebanon by Israel.

2) His wife is Lebanese

3) His parents (father is Syrian).

4) His family background would be a matter of police record since he was in the diplomatic corp.

5) Why on earth did his superiors not re-assign him in the circumstances as a matter of course? Plenty of other diplomats around London last time I looked!

6) Complete non-story, though sadly got a lot of milage due to the Muslim connection which is all anything needs to have to be news in the UK at the moment.

Rant over :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.