1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Political correctness to the extreme...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Firestorm, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Am I the only one to be annoyed over all this political correctness of this game?

Ok, I can partly see why they made the kids unkillable, though I don't see it was necessary... But they've removed the harlots, one of the greates sources of humour in the BG-games... I mean is this going to be like nuclear-family entertainment? I think it's too much...

Am I alone?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No harlots ??! :mad: :flaming: :mad: What the hell do they expect adventurers after a hard camapaign of slaughtering goblins and the like to do in an .. uhm ... inn ... drinking ?! :toofar: :sosad: I cannot roleplay my paladin any longer .... :cry:

3. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

In BGII harlots -- or "sex workers", as they prefer to be called -- *were* politically correct. There were both males and females, as your need might require.

What's wrong with that?

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yeah, the next thing you know you'll even see BLACK PEOPLE in these games.

The horror!

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Methylviolet: I meant that this game has been turned into something that (nearly) discourages free roleplaying. I don't understand why everything has to be so politically correct... I would say that if you had a hard day of slaying children, well who wouldn't need a harlot...? J/K

But still...

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Firestorm, don't decieve yourself, if you were ever able to roleplay that game, you'd have the option to actually be the prostitute.

7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No more child killin fun?......i mean no more paying for sex?....i mean do they actually expect us to follow the storyline or anything?? :p

i hope they will release a children pack like FO2
    :evil:

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have the feeling that immediatly after release there will be a mod to abuse children and have harlots :rolleyes:

9. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

I hope so.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Firestorm ... I think they realized that our world is scarey enough as it is right now. Today we are on the brink of war (again) there are 4 children abudcted in LA, and lots of other evil crap going on.

Why add to it?
    Why give sick imaginations more fuel for the fire?

If people feel the need to make a "killable kids" modification, more power to them.

Honestly, I could care either way, but I know that it doesn't take away from game play...

The hookers, that's a different stories, and from what I heard JE Salvador got a nasty case of something from one, and that bug won't go away ;) :lol: just kidding

11. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I would have loved to roleplay a harlot - and boy would I be a choosy harlot - no dwarves, but lots of elves! :D :bigeyes: :love: :roll:

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Political Correctness is the downfall of Western Civilization!!!! I hate it, hate it, hate it!

It's turning everyone into little whiny asses who blame everyone but themselves for their lot in life! It's annoying!

The whole walkie-talkie thing in ET! Ugggh! It's driving me bananas!!! I hope this did not offend the banana growing/eating public...'Cause we can't have that! :p :grin: :rolleyes:

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Is your gaming experience really impacted by not being able to kill children?

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"Is your gaming experience really impacted by not being able to kill children?"

Not truely.

But, anyone else remember Fallout?

If your NPC's wiped out a kid, you were labeled a child killer and quite nearly had to reload. So it was major incentive to not whack the kid. There's one mission where you had to trick the kid to leave the church before you whacked Joan the Cultist.

And, hello; truely chaotic evil characters have no qualms about whacking kids. Anyone remember David Koresh?

This is a *really* strange occurance, though. And not being able to listen to courtesans peddle their "wares" takes away from some of the atmosphere. But even the first one didn't have chits displaying their "wares"; at -20C, you can etch glass with your nipples. So it's not a major hit unless there's a fairly large city and it's moderately warm in the area.

The question is, are they missing from the atmosphere, or would they not really be there in the first place?

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] If they want to label a game as a role playing game, they should have the decency not to force everyone to conform to whatever morals and ethics that "political correctness" demands!

In a good role playing game the players should be allowed to do anything and then possibly face the consequences of their actions.

Lets also not forget that what today is generally considered evil/unlawful/taboo in a lot of cases were quite accepted and lawful. Indeed the opposite is also true: for example homosexuality is in most of the world no longer a crime, but not too long ago it was. What makes some people sure that todays prevalent values are the "right" ones? Don't they think these values will undergo changes in the future?

Is it then necessary to enforce the current ethics in every damn computer game as well? :mad:

Do not take away the freedom to play and experiment with different values, morals, and ethics in our games! This is what freedom of speech is all about.

[ August 19, 2002, 14:49: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@Earl Grey
    I highly doubt that childkilling will ever be "accepted", "the norm", or "the right thing to do".

That said, I don't see why they excluded the harlots, though. Perhaps they'd freeze to death in the snow? Or maybe some kid's parents got mad at PST?

You've got to understand that not everyone playing this game is an adult. Some people may get ideas from it.

17. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] The decision was probably made by weighing together the lesser of two evils. Obviously soemthing spurred them to make these changes. Whatever it was, it was worth more to the game designers to make the changes. But look at all the new and improved changes that have been made to other aspects of the game. Don't be so negative, it looks like they are catering to the gamers quite well.

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Indeed! Do we want to stifle the development of new ideas? Do we not want to encourage thoughts free from the shackles and oppression of the ideas of the time?

Ok, I know what you mean. Some psychopath might kill, but I ask you then if risks are not a part of everyday life. Something we cannot eliminate. Is the "risk" of allowing free thought in a role playing game even worth considering?

Let me answer it this way:
    I believe a society where the thoughts and actions of every individual is completely controlled and no individual can take any action not sanctioned by the "state" will lead to less physical injuries and less deaths.
    The question is: Do I want to live in it?

Edited:
    The minor detail of not being able to kill everything in the game does not bother me so much. The fact that they actually put effort into censoring and imposing their ethics - or rather they are pushed into censoring their game by some groups in society - is what I object to. :bang:

[ August 19, 2002, 17:32: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

19. Fizity Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The question about this isn't really whether or not killing children and having harlots adds/detracts to the game (hey, you're a teacher, what better to do after work than to picture your students and repeatedly hammer their faces?), it's the principle of the thing.

If they made a game where the only dialogue choices were good, or where you couldn't have any other storyline but the main one, I'd flush it down the toilet. The whole point of RPGs is to be able to do anything... Grrr, it makes me mad. Not that I miss the harlots (their voices scare me) but it's the point of it.

I can't stand that nowadays people think if you mention anything related to race, gender or sexuality, you're automatically being racist/sexist/homophobic. Get over it! More than half the time they're not discriminating. You can't have free thinking without some people thinking the wrong way :D That had nothing to do with anything... but anyway ;)

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This is true. Even game developers/coders are subject to the whims of the Allmighty Ca$h.

And, even though these people with MBA's have no clue what a RPG is, much less ever played one, they are the ones that control the flow of said Ca$h. Throw them a doughnut, and they will allow the Ca$h to flow.
    I'm not justifying here, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Ca$h rules all; you must be one with the Ca$h. Stretch out your feelings and the Ca$h will always be with you; I'll be back, with more Ca$h.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.