1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Politics and the plan B pill

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Nov 15, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

A quick recap : the Plan B pill is a so called "morning after pill" - a contraceptive which you can take after sex. Obviously, the wide availability of such a pill would do much to reduce the number of abortions.

So the problem is that FDA (the agency which is tasked with establishing that drugs are safe) did not approve the over the counter sale of this pill. Looks like the decision was politically motivated

Those responsible are the usual suspects
    What makes this even more intersting is the way they went about it
    (McClellan was the head of the Agency at the time the review was taking place) Moreover

Gotta love that :lol: Full article here

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am torn by the morning after pill. On one hand I firmly believe that an adult should have the ability to make their own decision if they want to take such a pill. It is up to each individual to read the warning labels and decide what they want to do. On the other hand, I can't see how this would not become the contraceptive of choice as what guy would choose to wear a condom if all they had to do was convince the girl to take a pill the next morning. This then puts people more at risk for STDs. I'm also concerned about children taking the drug.

I would probably comprimise and make it an over the counter drug, but somehow make it dispensible only by the pharmacist who would have to confirm that the person was 18+. Not the best solution, but the best that I could come up with that balances by goals of personal freedom and protecting idiots and children (not that the two are the same).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.