1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Politics rant

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by SaberFire, Nov 5, 2004.

1. SaberFire Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dear Moderate, Reasonable Republicans,

I know you like to vote for "your guy". I know you like it when "your team" does well. It's a good feeling, but it has no place in politics. Partisan manuevering benefits the politicians at our expense. They have you playing their game for them: you give the two-party system the power to repress all other voices, the power to be virtually indistinguishable.

Thanks to your blind willingness to follow party lines, you've managed to elect a fundamentalist religious nut job who is literally convinced that a magic man in the sky has more to do with his position within the White House than your vote.

In four years he took us from the most prosperous, peaceful time in the history of America to the worst economy since the Depression and an era of unprecedented fear and war.

But he is "your guy" so you voted for him. Way to go.

You needed to send a message to the leadership of your party. You needed to tell them that it doesn't represent you or your interests any more. You needed to draw a line, to reign in your own party, to make it sane again instead of the gross caricature it has become.

You failed.

Understand this. For the next four years, every bit of bad news that will come down the pipes; every death of an American soldier in Iraq; every terrorist act against our now openly aggressive nation; every slip in the economy; every backhanded deal that benefits the rich and hurts the rest of us; every afront to the rights and freedoms and of all men and women; and all the other atrocities and absurdity this administration has yet to enact, these are all on your heads.
    ======================
    Okay, clarification.
    It has nothing to do with "my" guy losing. Neither candidate represented me. I don't care that one rich white guy got more votes than other rich white guy.

I'm just sickened that people don't seem to mind (or notice?) blatant disregard for human rights and truth as long as it comes from within their own party. Meanwhile, they will imagine all manner of incompetence and evil from the other side of the political fence. It's partisan politics that disgust me. Bush represents extremist fringes, the very wealthy and the medievally religious. But because of partisan politics, he has come to represent the Republican party. Many people voted for him, not because they believe in him or his policies, but because he's the Republican candidate. Similarly, if the Democrats put up a potted plant, I'm sure it would get the majority of Democratic votes. That's what's wrong with the entire modern American political system. Bush and Kerry are irrelevent to my disgust or anger. It's the willingless to blindly follow party lines that gets my blood boiling.

Political affiliation does not hold sway with me. Actions do. Mr. Bush's actions over the last four years have terrified me as a business owner, a lover of personal freedom, and a member of the human race. Maybe you disagree, and that's fine. That's good, because then a dialogue can begin and that's how politics is supposed to work. Groups of people who each have ideas on how to best run a nation, working together toward a better nation. What gets in the way (other than the politicians themselves, but that's a whole other series of rants) is every voter who only thinks in terms of Republican or Democrat.

If my words made you angry, good. That's what they were there for. Chances are you're young and impressionable. You have a lifetime of voting ahead of you. I don't care who you vote for as long as you are informed when you vote. If getting angry at me will help put you on the road to responsible voting, then so be it. If you voted for the candidate you honestly believed in after building an informed opinion of the choices at hand, then you kick ass. I might not agree with your choice, but that's not the point. Responsible voting is the only way to get our parties back. As long as there are significant numbers out there blindly voting based solely on party affiliation, this nation will continue to suffer.

I really hope I haven't offended anyone too badly, and if I have, then Tal can ban me for unwanted Forum misconduct or something.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hello Alley, here we come . . . (this is definitely not Whatnots material)

OK. Many of your points are good and echo several discussions that have been ongoing in the Alley, in my office, in my house, in my parents' house and probably too many other places to count. But, unless and until the moderates of both parties take over (not likely in the immediate future because of the way the parties are structured and the way the primaries are done) or unless they join forces and create a moderate third party (yeah, right, and cows will fly with the pigs), we're stuck with what we've got.

By the way, I'm not sure that Kerry would reduce the expected mortality rate in Iraq because he was committed to being there and I don't know how he was going to draw more soldiers from other countries. Plus, all that would do would be to make the deaths more spread out, dead is still dead though.

What this all means is that those who hate partisan politics need to get off their complaining butts and actually do something out loud. If it's within the two party system and designed to push the parties towards more moderate levels, great! If it means trying to finally get a viable third party up and running, even better.

The Democrats also need to understand that they cannot put up anyone who could be described as a liberal in the current climate. If they put up a moderate (and I know Kerry was not as liberal as described, but he couldn't shake the label), then the Republicans can't go with arch-conservative for fear of ushering in another Clinton-esque presidency.

The reason Clinton did so well is that he wasn't a classic liberal Democrat and the southern Democrats (read Republicans) embraced him. The Democrats' candidate doesn't have to be southern, but I really think he'd better not be from New England. I still think Richardson is a potentially good choice.

3. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

This was posted on 8-bit Theater a few days ago.

EDIT: Linky, bottom of page, check the date.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, now that we've established who the author really is, you can discuss it in light of that. And SaberFire, don't copy someone else's words as your own again unless you badly want the idiot plaque.

5. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

At least when I spew meandering, obtuse, vitriolic, whiney, partisan diatribe...

They're my own words.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I read that and instantly thought: "Is this from smirkingchimp.com or something?

Anyways, I don't think the democrats need to change their message to suit the interests of the Religious Right, because that would lose the heart and soul of the party. What we need in 2008 is not Hilary, but a straight shooter from the South who knows how to talk to republicans, and can actually connect with those that (Stupidly) put so much stake into terms such as "Values".

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What we need is a secession of the sane American states from the insane ones. ;) Let the west coast and the north east create a new independent entity so can the Hamaz wannabees of the south recreate their confederacy. ;) :p

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

9. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

jaocqin

I am afraid that the logic in your wish is flawed.

If you want to start breaking things down to get land masses seperated into "sane" and "insane" regions, you will have to go to the county level, as you can see by this http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/vote2004/countymap.htm you are going to have a difficult time as SKerry only won the majority of the land mass in a couple of states.

After red representing communism for so long, I am happy to state that I have gotten over my red phobia. I LOVE RED! :love:

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Wait Darkwolf!
    If you like the cold you might be able to start one up there. Obviously nobody cares what part of Alaska anyone owns so you might be able to hold out in some mountain somewhere, castrate yourselves and wear orange robes :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.