1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Aasimar or drow sorcerer

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Urgazhi, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I have heard many people say that the aasimar are better to play as a sorcerer. i have also heard that the drow is better. i want to know which one is liked the most.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: Aasimar or drow sorcerer (12 votes.)

Aasimar or drow sorcerer (Choose 1)
    * Drow sorcerer - 42% (5)
    * Aasimar sorcerer - 58% (7)

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Aasimar.
    Both Aasimar and Drow have effectively +4 to abilities so no difference there.
    Among the other advantages Drow have spell resistance which puts them a bit ahead of Aasimar, but in the end it's the ECL+1, compared with ECL+2 for Drow, which makes Aasimar better IMO.
    This is especially important for a sorcerer who already is a level (spell) "behind" wizards as it is.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not to mention the daylight weakness stuff. And as a spellcaster you also need as much constitution you can get.

4. ak47 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've used both and basically don't find much to separate the aasimar from the drow sorceror. In my games, neither the drow's magic resistance nor the aasimar's elemental resistance have proved to be a tremendous life saver and are the icing on the cake when you have stoneskin + mirror image + improved invisibility + already high will saves. I keep my sorceror well away from the thick of action at all times so as to minimise the chances of getting caught by enemy spells, so it doesn't matter whether I have magic resistance or elemental resistance. In the early game you can easily make do with both types - you only need more patience with the drow. I have gone with whatever suits the look and feel of the rest of my party when it comes to choosing between these two.

Personally, I have found a human or strongheart halfling sorceror to be my preferred choices - purely for the extra feat. With the human I sometimes choose to go for one fighter level as well, for another extra feat (neither the drow nor aasimar are able to do this during the regular course of the game without incurring the -20% XP penalty). IMHO the extra feats make the human at least equal if not superior spellcaster than the aasimar or drow for most of the game. The drow and aasimar can max their charisma at 20, lending +1 extra DC to their spells. The human can obtain greater focus and spell penetration more quickly easily compensating for its max 18 charisma.

Mati likes this.
  5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

@Tarsakh
    Higher constitution is good, but not essential for a sorcerer. The Drow can get 16 con which is more than enough.

@ak47
    You are right about the marginal usefulness of elemental resistance and spell resistance.

I don't think extra feats are important to sorcerers. Greater Spell Focus (Evocation and Necromancy to be specific) is where to put your feats and an Aasimar (or drow) can manage just fine without the extra Feat humans get.
    By level 15 you can have Greater Spell Focus in two disciplines and Greater Spell Penetration.

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Why not create both Aasimar and Drow sorcerers, and try out which one is more suitable for you.

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Earl, you are also not including the -1 stuff on savings throws and etc.

8. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Dunno... Maybe the Aasimar... Because he has +2 CHA...

9. plain vanilla Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Both aasimar and drow have +2 charisma bonuses.

IMHO for a sorceror, the daylight penalty is of no practical consequence as a significant part of the game is indoors or can be played at night. And you should not be using your sorceror to melee anyway, while keeping your sorceror out of harm's way / fire. Saving throws are more important to melee units (eg, fighter) and backup units (eg, cleric & druids).

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

So fu...er what? Then drows... There are nicer chaps, so why not taking them... Excellent sorcerer will make for thee...

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Dude, you get level x spells at level 2x with a sorcerer not 2x-1 o with a drow thi will be 2x+2 which is higher than Aasimar.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.